Share on Facebook 15 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
OpEdNews Op Eds    H4'ed 3/26/19

"I Ain't Marching Anymore" - Phil Ochs, Where have all the protest singers gone ...

By       (Page 1 of 1 pages) Become a premium member to see this article and all articles as one long page.     (# of views)   20 comments
Message David Watts

I became aware of Phil Ochs in the early '70s but he faded from my memory long ago. What brought him back to mind was reading the bio of Jim Glover, a member here at OpEdNews:

Jim Glover attended Ohio State University, where he met Phil Ochs in the fall of 1960[1] and introduced Ochs to folk music, leftist politics, and taught him how to play guitar.[2][3] Glover introduced Ochs to the music of Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, and The Weavers.

Phil Ochs was a great protest singer who wrote consciousness-awakening songs and played them with good guitar and sang them with a really neat voice. He knew how to make the kind of penetrating protest points we used to hear from protest singers so clearly in the past, word it so well, and put it to music.

I would guess a few of you here might remember him, but probably not most. We could use a singer-songwriter like Phil Ochs again today. Where have all the protest singers gone ...

To Jim Glover, thank you for introducing Phil Ochs to folk music, leftist politics and teaching him to play guitar.

Phil Ochs, "I Ain't Marching Anymore."

"I Ain't Marching Anymore"

Oh, I marched to the battle of New Orleans
At the end of the early British wars
The young land started growing
The young blood started flowing
But I ain't a-marching anymore

Oh I killed my share of Injuns in a thousand different fights
I was there at the Little Big Horn
I heard many men a-lying
I saw many more a-dying
But I ain't a-marching anymore

It's always the old to lead us to the wars
Always the young to fall
Now look at what we've won with a saber and a gun
Tell me is it worth it all?

For I stole California from the Mexican land
Fought in the bloody Civil War
Yes, I even killed my brothers
And so many others
But I ain't a-marching anymore

For I marched to the battle of the German trench
In a war that was bound to end all wars
Oh I must have killed a million men
And now they want me back again
But I ain't a-marching anymore

It's always the old to lead us to the wars
Always the young to fall
Now look at what we've won with a saber and a gun
Tell me is it worth it all?

For I flew the final mission in the Japanese sky
Set off the mighty mushroom roar
But I saw the cities burnin'
And I knew that I was learnin'
That I ain't a-marching anymore

Now the labor leader's screamin' when they closed the missile plant
United Fruit screams at the Cuban shore
Call it peace or call it treason
Call it love or call it reason
But I ain't a-marching anymore
I ain't a-marching anymore

PHIL OCHS~I AIN'T MARCHING ANYMORE The Late, Great Phil Ochs(folk/social commentary singer)1940-1976 did more for Peace than any soldier ever did for war!
(Image by YouTube, Channel: Jim Kindheart)
  Details   DMCA

(Article changed on March 26, 2019 at 14:59)

Must Read 3   Well Said 2   Valuable 2
Rate It | View Ratings

David Watts Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

I am a dull and simple lad Can not tell water from champagne

A Very Short Simple Proof That Cannot Be Disproved. 9/11 was a False Flag Event

Ever feel like SCREAMING OUT, WHAT'S GOING ON???

I don't feel safe in this world no more ... I want to sail away to a distant shore and make like an apeman

Sing Mr. Songbird. Won't you sing me a song, You help to keep my problems away, You help to keep the devil away.

Comments

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 11 fans, 13 articles, 22 quicklinks, 1838 comments, 27 diaries
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Phils Ochs recorded many really good protest songs. Wish he were still here. He had a way about him that I think would get people, especially young people, to listen and to think about what is really going on in this upside-down, inside-out, mostly- anymore-inhumane, world.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 2:33:49 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1628 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Thank you for posting this, David. Like you, I wonder where the song-gods went. And I wish they would come back

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:03:41 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Chuck Nafziger

(Member since Oct 12, 2008), 15 fans, 6 articles, 14 quicklinks, 1938 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

The media would not touch Ochs today. There are protest singers out there but their audience is very limited.

Submitted on Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 1:52:17 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

B. Ross Ashley

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

(Member since Aug 29, 2008), 5 fans, 3 articles, 211 quicklinks, 300 comments, 3 diaries

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

There are still lots of good topical "protest singers" around. They don't get anywhere near the airplay even Phil got. Look for David Rovics, and you will find what you are looking for.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 6:51:55 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1628 comments

Reply to B. Ross Ashley:   New Content

thanks, b.ross. will definitely look for David Rovics. (can ya' tell I miss the ol' days?) :)

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 7:17:56 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

David Watts

Reply to B. Ross Ashley:   New Content

Thanks, I just looked and he has quite a number of songs. I listened to a couple and they are good.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:38:01 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Lois Gagnon

(Member since Mar 21, 2011), 38 fans, 1 articles, 13 quicklinks, 5078 comments

Reply to B. Ross Ashley:   New Content

I'll check him out. Thanks.

Submitted on Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:10:01 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Carol R Campbell

(Member since May 4, 2012), 15 fans, 5 articles, 58 quicklinks, 844 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Nice job David! but post a few more videos please:)

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 6:52:56 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Lois Gagnon

(Member since Mar 21, 2011), 38 fans, 1 articles, 13 quicklinks, 5078 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Here is our local protest singer from Greenfield, Ma., Ben Grosscup singing his updated version of Love Me I'm a Liberal.

.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNxne97ubc

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 8:57:10 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

David Watts

Reply to Lois Gagnon:   New Content

Very good! Ben brought the lyrics up to date and does the song really well. Thanks.

When I first listened to Phils Ochs' song "...I'm a Liberal," I just had to smile. It made me chuckle listening to Ochs sing the irony of what a liberal can be.

But if you ask me to bus my children
I hope the cops take down your name
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:54:24 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Michael Dewey

(Member since Feb 15, 2008), 19 fans, 20 articles, 6 quicklinks, 3357 comments, 17 diaries
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linked In Page Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

There was much more to the sixties than even old hippies give it credit for. The peace and freedom awakening came down from above.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:13:14 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Dave Lindorff

(Member since Nov 18, 2005), 87 fans, 1178 articles, 116 quicklinks, 1021 comments, 1 diaries
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

I was in Central Park for the celebration of the Vietnamese victory over the US and the end of that horrible war, and heard Phil Ochs play what I believe was one of if not the last public performance of his too short life. Joan Baez got up on stage with him. He sang beautifully, bringing us all to tears, but he hung his head throughout his event, and was clearly deeply depressed, with Joan kind of propping him up. It was a bit over a year later when he killed himself. I remember that too. I was part of a group running an alternative paper, the LA Vanguard, in Los Angeles. We had the awesome Ron Cobb as our cartoonist. A close friend of Ochs, he came in one day in tears and told us of the suicide. Then drew a Cobb classic about it which we ran that issue.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:59:23 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

David Watts

Reply to Dave Lindorff:   New Content

I tried to find the Cobb classic cartoon that Cobb drew regarding Ochs. Could not find it...

It must have been hard watching Ochs hang his head throughout the performance... And it must have been extra hard on Joan hearing Ochs took his life apparently not long after they sang together.

Submitted on Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 5:23:07 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Dave Lindorff

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I have the actual article that Cobb cartoon appeared in. It's in a bound set of hard copies of all the issues of the Los Angeles Vanguard newspaper I ran. I have to dig it out of one of the boxes of books in my office. When I find it (maybe today?) I'll take a photo of the cartoon and post it here.

Meanwhile ya'll should google "Ron Cobb cartoons". He is not just an amazing artist with wit and political acumen. He also was contracted by LucasFilms to design the creatures in the bar scene in the first Star Wars movie.

Dave Lindorff

founding editor of ThisCantBeHappening.net

Submitted on Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:39:18 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Dave Lindorff:   New Content

Thanks Dave. It is neat you actually have the cartoon; but don't spend much time trying to dig it out. I do appreciate the thought though. I will check back but first, I am going to check out some of Ron Cobb's cartoons... :)

Submitted on Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 at 4:12:58 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

After just a quick check of Ron Cobb's cartoons I am hooked. There are so many I could have copied here but I just grabbed two. The second one about the "Industrial Revolution" is interesting; partly because he did the cartoon in 1968! That cartoon is a lot more pertinent to today than it was back then!

(Image by Unknown Owner) Details DMCA

(Image by Unknown Owner) Details DMCA

Submitted on Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 at 4:45:16 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Carol R Campbell

(Member since May 4, 2012), 15 fans, 5 articles, 58 quicklinks, 844 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

I've been trying an old-fashioned version of Subversion: I am encouraging all the 'Lovable Liberals' I meet, to gather their Families and friends for the next 3 Day Weekend; and challenge them to a Monopoly Party.

Beer and Hot Dogs & Non-stop Games - Winner takes All, with a New Winner everyday!

Should result in the 'Winners' having as many Enemies as Trump, Mueller, and Jeff Bozo - Oops, that should read Jeff Bezo.

The Sore-Losers will be looking for a good Revolution to join - and/or, organizing Firing Squads to take out the Capitalistic Bastards who grabbed all the money!

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:16:03 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

David Watts

Reply to Carol R Campbell:   New Content

"Lovable Liberals," all vying to be the take-all winner. Carol, I think this idea of yours has some potential! But be careful, don't YOU be the winner-take-all. They might mistake you for being a Capitalistic Bastard.

A few more 'Lovable Liberal' lines from Phil Ochs:

I vote for the democratic party
They want the U.N. to be strong
I go to all the Pete Seeger concerts
He sure gets me singing those songs
I'll send all the money you ask for
But don't ask me to come on along
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

Once I was young and impulsive
I wore every conceivable pin
Even went to the socialist meetings
Learned all the old union hymns
But I've grown older and wiser
And that's why I'm turning you in
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

Submitted on Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 3:24:45 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

Lois Gagnon

(Member since Mar 21, 2011), 38 fans, 1 articles, 13 quicklinks, 5078 comments

Reply to Carol R Campbell:   New Content

LOL! That sounds like an idea worth passing around. I will! Thanks.

Submitted on Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:08:08 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Michael Dewey

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Some people may not give this a chance. Rock and Roll are the Pearls (As I call the peals) of Thunder kept secret in Revelations 10, and have been revealing some of the mysteries of the great spirits up above. They are also the holy people whose power is about shattered in Daniel 12:7. Please notice that the only 2 times someone raised his hands and swore about these times was in both Daniel 12:7 & Revelations 10 so the 2 do tie together. All am trying to say is these latter days are not going to happen the way that the church has said they were going to happen.

Submitted on Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 3:51:55 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment