Share on Facebook Share on Twitter 1 Share on LinkedIn Share on Reddit Tell A Friend Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites

My rant to the DNC after their latest request for (more) donations...

By   Follow Me on Twitter     Message Leslie Johnson       (Page 1 of 1 pages)     Permalink    (# of views)   31 comments

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags
Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 8   Well Said 8   Supported 5

opednews.com Headlined to H2 12/31/18

It's no exaggeration...more than 2/3 of my emails, and I get 3-4 hundred/day, are soliciting for donations....I'm pretty certain there is a list in cyberspace of "likely" donors, which I can only imagine candidates have to pay for access to. I blame this on Citizen's United and the fact that the government is spending trillions on war and destruction when it should be focusing on being for, of and by the People.

The fact is, Public Service Announcements, once available for campaign messages from candidates, no longer exist. TV stations aired them with a logical justification that it was done in exchange for their free use of the airwaves. Today, everything is about making money off anything one can. It is an immoral enterprise and I am choosing to never donate again to anyone (okay, Rob, OEN will not be excluded).

I'm taxed on just about everything, as is most everyone, save those with enough money and savvy, who know how to manipulate the system in their favor. The US has degraded itself right into the toilet. My donations have not had the power to eliminate gerrymandering or election fraud (not done by the people, mind you) but by the PTB themselves. Nor have the majority of petitions I have signed regarding ending war, money in politics, ending support for Zionist Israel, cleaning up the environment, ending fossil fuels, stopping the stratospheric aerosol spraying (aka chemtrails), eliminating corporate pollution of the air, soil and water...you get the picture...changed much, outside of stopping animal abuse and requiring labels related to GMO's.

Meanwhile, I spend my days researching the news broadcasts because so much of what has been spewed as 'news' has turned out to be lies. Corporate control of everything, from wars to Monsanto to the demonization of other countries (often the first step to justify another illegal invasion) are aired daily and it's disgusting.

You start getting more candidates like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and you won't need so much money...they will win on their platform all by themselves...especially when Citizen's United is overturned and Public Service Announcements are restored. Those two items alone would have significance in restoring the constitutional responsibility of the government to be for, of and by the People. And, for that reason alone, overturning them should not even be a debate.

Must Read 8   Well Said 8   Supported 5

RN, math teacher, progressive, anti-war, political junkie, have lived in Germany and China, believe we're all equal members of one human family, disgusted with the US government

Leslie Johnson Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Follow Me on Twitter     Writers Guidelines
Related Topic(s): , Add Tags

What Trump can do to "Make America Great Again"

California's Cash Cow Prison System and the Money-Sucking Death Penalty that fixes nothing.

There's Nothing Like Two Glasses of Wine to make you Regret the Night Before..or maybe not.

The Value of History Depends on What You Learn From It...if one even bothers.

GMO's are generally regarded as safe..... Really?

I smiled when I saw Meryl Ann's piece on Dr. Burzynski....

Comments

(Member since Dec 9, 2014), 17 fans, 13 articles, 1 quicklinks, 1102 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

The number donation requests I receive are not an exaggeration at all and with so many of them I'm copying this to send it to my Congressional Representatives....forever the optimist...foolish girl...then again, without optimism, we lose energy to fight for what is right....One thing for sure, Bill Nelson's office will email me a "Thank you for your input" letter...that and a couple of dollars will get me a cup of coffee somewhere.

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 5:01:49 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (8+)

Gary Brumback

(Member since Oct 1, 2011), 34 fans, 76 articles, 1206 comments, 1 diaries
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

Leslie, I am a BIG FAN of yours!!!!!!!!

Please go to your message center and send me your e-mail address. I want to e-mail you the Preface of a new book I am about to finish. If you like the Preface, I will e-mail you a galley proof of book when ready, and if you still like it I will ask you to write an endorsement to appear in the book.

The very best to you and yours in 2019.

Gary

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 5:55:39 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Reply to Gary Brumback:   New Content

Well, thank you, Gary. Much appreciated! I'm off to the message center per your request and look forward to reading your Preface.

Sending you, and actually all OENer's, best wishes for a Happy New Year which I would love to see become a Happy and PEACEFUL New Year.

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 6:59:23 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (6+)

IndentIndentIndent

Devil's Advocate

(Member since Nov 9, 2014), 9 fans, 2035 comments

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

All the best for 2019, Leslie!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 3:43:29 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Reply to Devil's Advocate:   New Content

Thanks, DA!!!! I hoping that for all of us :)!!!!!!! Well, and the world, too!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 4:57:25 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Nelson Wight

(Member since Apr 23, 2010), 17 fans, 2712 comments

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

Thanks mucho, Leslie and DA, with reversed wishes & greetings.

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 12:15:18 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 10 fans, 11 articles, 22 quicklinks, 1603 comments, 27 diaries

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

Leslie, I do not know if you remember me or not but I was one of the people who commented on a wonderful article you posted maybe 6-8 months ago. I actually think you actually replied to me. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. :)

With all of the unwanted email you get, I would set up a new and different email name that you can give just to those you want to have it and stay in touch with. Then, screw all of the email going to your (now) old inbox asking for donations and whatever! Let them rot in your old inbox! Only the emails you care about will be in your new inbox every day. Get this, I did the same thing a lot of years ago. So I have an email address given only to people I know and relatives and sometimes others if I need to receive an email about something. (Leslie, If you ever want to send me an email I will give you my address. Ok? Please let me know. :) ). Guess how many useless emails have been sent to my other, old, meaningless inbox? I have not checked lately but the # was well over 20,000!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 4:46:18 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

David, thanks for your wisdom and recommendation. You have put a huge smile on my face!!! Happy New Year, dear friend!!!!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 5:00:19 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

You made me smile too. Happy New Year and good night ...

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 8:58:04 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

You delight me, David. I just saw the time you sent your reply. I think you should have ended with "good morning" :) !!!!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 2:05:01 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

Another thing that ticks me off...our Congressmen that solicit funds in order to pass this-or-that legislation that seems to be "for the people". Now, if that "purpose" is already there, why do we need to send more money to get it passed? I think it would be much more honest just to say "hey, can you donate to my campaign? To which I would reply, pass a law that requires MSM to air Public Service Announcements giving candidates equal air time. MSM can write off their donation of air time. We need money out of politics..the general population can, in no way, match corporate donations. What a crock of do-do our elections have become.

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 2:01:00 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

watchpocket

(Member since Jul 22, 2013), 2 fans, 122 comments

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

I have also stopped giving to politicians since Bernie was screwed. Every time I go to LA which is quite often I hand out a few dollars to homeless people trying to stay alive. if one does this on a regular basis you tend to give more and there is no one skimming any off the top.

Happy New Year to all OEN readers from the mountains of San Bernardino CA.

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 3:31:38 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

Cyril North

(Member since Mar 26, 2013), 1 fan, 42 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

This article reflects my own views about donating money to causes, be it political or charitable etc. which waste your donations to mail out more and more petitions, ad infinitum.

Nowadays I do not give money to charities, just food items with hopefully they HAVE TO pass on to the needy.

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 6:41:41 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (7+)

Reply to Cyril North:   New Content

That works, Cyril. Great idea!

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 7:33:39 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Chuck Nafziger

(Member since Oct 12, 2008), 15 fans, 6 articles, 11 quicklinks, 1745 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

In our warped version of a capitalist society, our donations are just tidbits to make us think we are trying to make life better, while being totally overwhelmed by gazillions of dollars pouring from the war, banking, poisoning, imprisoning, and quacking one percent. We are increasingly disposable cogs in a machine being "phased" out of the oligarch's new robotically controlled world. They cannot really trust us, can they?

I too think these donations are impotent. But, am I as willing to go to the extents the Berrigans went as described in Hedges new article? I might have been at one point or another in my life, but my experiences in that direction made me ask "Where are the others, where is the army necessary to take on this evil?" I have lost faith in human reasoning. It is too easy to see how crap floats in a sea of capitalism, and uses propaganda to release the poisons that slowly and surely contaminate the whole sea.

Now I would rather pursue happiness. I am no longer happy starting a big fight, but I smile at the thought of conjuring up a few old man jabs if I found the fight going on around me. Check out Extinction Rebellion for more thoughts on what can make a successful action.

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 6:49:47 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (8+)

Reply to Chuck Nafziger:   New Content

I'm off to check out Extinction Rebellion. Thanks for mentioning it as I don't believe I've heard of it until now! By the way, I loved your comment "It is easy to see how crap floats in a sea of capitalism, and uses propaganda to release the poisons that slowly and surely contaminate the whole sea." Have a great New Year, Chuck.

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 7:38:25 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

Chuck Nafziger

(Member since Oct 12, 2008), 15 fans, 6 articles, 11 quicklinks, 1745 comments

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

I had tried to make the word Extinction Rebellion a hot link, but it does not look like it worked. I am trying again. The video at the bottom of the page has a great deal of well thought out analysis and possible action.

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 12:12:45 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

Reply to Chuck Nafziger:   New Content

:) All I did was google Extinction Rebellion and it came right up! No link? No problem!! Oh I am getting so computer savvy....(not really, that was a joke)....but it was fun to say..

I'm sitting on my very little deck outside and hearing all sorts of fireworks. I've got to give up being such a party animal. It's 12:05am Florida time

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 5:06:41 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

12:05am! You are up early on New Years Day. Good morning. :)

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 4:25:36 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Lois Gagnon

(Member since Mar 21, 2011), 38 fans, 1 articles, 10 quicklinks, 4880 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Hi Leslie. I too have mostly given up giving money to causes and signing petitions. I still give to Oxfam and our local food bank.

March on the Pentagon is running a rolling fast for Yemen at the moment. People fast for a day and you can go to the web site on their FB page to donate. It's not a lot of money, but it's something.

Too many NGOs have been compromised by accepting big foundation money. Before you know it, their CEOs are making a half million dollars and only a small percentage of donations wind up going to the cause.

As you said, everybody is out to grab as much as they can.

A woman I'm friends with has started a group called Obstruct the Vote. She's trying to convince people to boycott the vote in 2020. Depending on who the Greens put up as candidates, I may be joining her boycott. We need to stop legitimizing a thoroughly corrupt system. At least let the SOBs know we're not buying their BS anymore.

Submitted on Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 8:11:44 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (9+)

Reply to Lois Gagnon:   New Content

Good post, Lois. Keep me posted on your activism...you know I'm just as mad/crazy/spontaneous as many who would like to see sensibility and compassion as traits of this country (at least at the time of the Founding Fathers) and I'd enjoy joining you in the boycott should you decide to participate. Yes, I'm serious.

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 1:21:24 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

kappie

(Member since May 6, 2010), 2 fans, 567 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Love the article because its so true.I get bombarded by 20 e-mails a day asking for political donations or to fight immigration,pollution or whatever but at the end of the plea is a politician asking for a donation.Nothing ever changes with the hundreds of petitions i have signed but the politicians do get richer.I have stopped signing these worthless "petitions".the only way to change the political system is to elect real progressives

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 2:45:33 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Reply to kappie:   New Content

"select real progressives"..Amen to that!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 9:45:55 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

I agree with you and kappie.

But I never got to like the term "progressive." I like and prefer "liberal." It seemed like those on the left shied away from the term 'liberal' because it had bad connotations or something. Besides, progressive means progressing and the "progressive" party seems to only be regressing.

So, I will continue to call myself a liberal and I'm sticking to it! George McGovern would be proud of me, don't you think Leslie? :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:02:09 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Shad

Author 501916

(Member since Mar 17, 2015), 2 fans, 25 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Well said, Leslie. You have managed to put into words what many of us are thinking. I have stopped donating. You just acquired another fan. Happy New Year!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 3:13:47 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Reply to Shad:   New Content

Thanks, Shad.....I was surprised when I looked and found that I hadn't fanned you yet!!! ...and that's because I love how well you write! I should hav done that a long time ago!! Happy New Year!!

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019 at 9:49:17 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

John Lawrence Ré

(Member since Apr 17, 2012), 20 fans, 2 articles, 1070 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linked In Page Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Unfortunately, some organizations cannot exist without individual support. We shouldn't allow the bombardment of solicitations to force us to abandon those who serve as a sine qua non to progress, nor those who are fighting legal battles against the neoliberal's ravaging of the planet. I think prioritizing is the key. Best to you and to OEN in 2019.

Submitted on Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:06:06 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Reply to John Lawrence Ré:   New Content

I hear you, John...and agree with prioritizing. It's primarily the political donations today that irk me the most. My husband is already getting tax info organized. A lot of mine were tax-deductible because of their missions, which I do support. But donating to politicians who already make in one year what I made in ten :( .... My occupations were noble, IMHO....nursing and education...my salaries were low. I watched a video a while back on what Congressmen are required to do....spend up to 4 hours/day at a phone bank, asking people to donate to them. Public Service Announcements could end that..and I imagine the TV networks could write-off their donation of free air time. I just think we could a a better job in this arena without bleeding the people. P.S. I did donate to Bernie, as did millions of others...don't have much hope that we can beat the Deep State without getting into the streets again.

Submitted on Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:25:43 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Stan Crawford

Author 511938

(Member since Aug 15, 2018), 1 fan, 19 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Blocking apps can reduce those unwanted e-mails. As for donations, I ask for annual expense accounts and if operating costs/executive salaries are more than charity donations, then my $'s are better contributed to other causes. Rob has decided to which articles can receive comments, with the revisionist history hypocrite Paul Craig Roberts immune from rebuttal comments to his articles that run contrary to his past actions. As for the US government, it is stupid to vote Democrat/Republican, expecting a different result from the same groups who created the mess the country finds itself in today. I'm just thankful to be in my slow downward slide in life and chose not to have kids.

Submitted on Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019 at 4:48:37 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

Reply to Stan Crawford:   New Content

I agree with everything in your comment except what you said about Paul Craig Roberts. I will not get into it here but there is a history behind why PCR no longer accepts comments.

Btw, just about everything he writes is excellent. There are many here that feel the same way.

Submitted on Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:46:40 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Lance Ciepiela

(Member since Apr 4, 2008), 51 fans, 58 articles, 60 quicklinks, 3881 comments, 213 diaries

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Yes - I did "donate" a "little someth'in", but not to the DNC. I felt they weren't worth a dollar after how they made sure that Clinton was the "only one left standing" and after Bernie should have gotten "the nod" and Clinton should have "bowed out".

However, each dollar directly to a Democrat was "well worth it" - "just say'in".

Submitted on Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019 at 8:07:31 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment