Share on Facebook 1 Share on Twitter 1 Share on LinkedIn Share on Reddit Tell A Friend Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites
Sci Tech

Catastrophic Climate Change (August 2015)

By       Message Daniel Geery       (Page 1 of 1 pages)     Permalink    (# of views)   16 comments

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags
Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 1   Valuable 1

It's said that "seeing is believing." I know that seeing can also be deceiving, particularly given the digital world we live in. It's also said that "a picture is worth a thousand words," and if the latter be so, then I'd say a good video is worth many thousands of words, as this one is.

I don't think you'll find any of this video digitally altered to be fake news, most unfortunately. Like many, I no longer waste time trying to convince "climate change deniers," any more than I would "flat earthers." Good god, I can't even believe they're still around!

I was about to say that this relatively short video, about ten minutes, "tells it like it is." But then I remembered the date it was produced, August 27, 2015. Given that we are indeed in abrupt climate change, it is now November, 2018, the Arctic sea ice is virtually gone, and damage, death, and misery reigns around the planet, I'd have to say it seems "beyond a wake-up call."

Here's a link to the actual page the video is from, which I post for anyone who wants to read the comments click here

Must Read 1   Valuable 1

In my run for U.S. Senate against Utah's Orrin Hatch, I posted many progressive ideas and principles that I internalized over the years. I'm leaving that site up indefinitely, since it describes what I believe most members of our species truly (more...)

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon Share Author on Social Media   Go To Commenting

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags

CIA Agent Confesses On Deathbed: 'We Blew Up WTC7 On 9/11'...YourNewsWire.com

Why have kids?

The Foundation of Religion Fractured, shaky, and exposed

Military Coup Has Taken Over the U.S. A., Without a Single Shot Fired

Comments Image Post Article Comment

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms.

• OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.
  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.
  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.
Connect with Facebook     Connect with Twitter            Register with Facebook     Register with Twitter

Comment:

You can enter 2000 characters. To remove limit, please click here.

Please login or register. Afterwards, your comment will be published.

Username
Password

Forgot your password? Click here and we will send an email to the address you used when you registered.
First Name
Last Name

I am at least 16 years of age
(make sure username & password are filled in. Note that username must be an email address.)

4 people are discussing this page, with 16 comments  Post Comment

Daniel Geery

(Member since Jul 9, 2009), 72 fans, 235 articles, 3415 quicklinks, 15089 comments, 180 diaries

I've been having trouble on and off with posting videos, so here (as noted above) is the link to the actual page with the video click here. It's about 20 minutes long; once you start, I doubt you'll stop...

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:28:05 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

j dial

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

(Member since Nov 9, 2009), 27 fans, 30 articles, 49 quicklinks, 302 comments

Thank you, Daniel, for continuing to do all you can to wake up the sleeping multitudes, as futile and personally anguishing as all such efforts are.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 2:29:36 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Daniel Geery

Reply to j dial:   New Content

Will do. I forgot to mention that this particular video has some easy to comprehend explanations of some of the major issues, such as the jet stream wavering and slowing which will be and already is affecting farming around the world.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:08:15 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 10 fans, 11 articles, 21 quicklinks, 1435 comments, 27 diaries

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

I agree. Like all of your videos this is excellent as well. It seems like common sense that there is something wrong with this idea of global warming when it can be much colder at times than usual in places like the United States and Europe. It makes it very hard for people to grasp that the world is actually warming when there are places that are much colder than usual. But their "common sense" is not based on how global warming really works. Some people can't grasp the idea that global warming at times is the reason for much colder temperatures. They are either uninformed or are deniers based on reading stupid blogs vs the climate science. I have not read much climate science myself. But I have seen and read much that is based on the climate science.

Thank you Daniel for all of your contributions on this topic.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:12:12 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I most seriously wish you were wrong!

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 9:16:13 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

One thing that I have seen pointed out and it is true, many that understand how critical it is, they lead you to believe that there is still a however small chance that there is still hope if we can act fast enough. They are close to understanding how critical the situation is but they fall just short. They either do not fully understand or they are not willing to tell it like it is. It is not critical, it is over. No more looking back. The feedback loops like the thawing permafrost releasing methane and the albedo (reflective) effect of arctic ice which is disappearing is accelerating the pace the globe warms. And the more the earth warms the more the gas pedal is pushed churning the feedback loops even faster. Even if we completely stopped adding CO2 to the atmosphere yesterday morning, catastrophic global warming is in the cards. It is like a runaway train on tracks that slope increasingly downward and the train continues to accelerate downward faster and faster with no brakes.

A thank you to Daniel. I knew global warming was going to be the end all if Nukes don't first bring things to an end. But I did not know how quickly things are happening and why they will continue happening faster and faster. But Daniel, I have been paying attention to your posts and just recently I realized, it is over. We are done; the animals and insects and plants are done too. I would think some things will be able to adapt up to a point but who knows how many things and what kinds of things. I wish those things well.

Thank you Daniel, I would rather know than not know. It relaxes me. I now have an excuse to start playing video games and not feel bad about it.

Submitted on Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:38:53 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

The two words on this topic that people seem to choke on or be unable to utter, many have been talking about for decades: Human extinction.

Now that it is, by all the evidence, near term, it is all the more critical to start not just mentioning it, but hollering from the rooftops that it IS the largest elephant in the room (possibly preempted by the Big Red Button). And it is the main one that matters from a global perspective.

Every human, sooner or later comes face to face with "the grim reaper," and so have over 99% of all the species that ever lived, though typically with a showing of about 4,000,000 years. We've been around about 200,000 years and the first species to work so hard and successfully toward planetary destruction.

Once a person gets through to the acceptance stage, yes, it can be relaxing and at least stop making one crazy about Mueller, Clinton, or wtf is in the headlines. I find it still worth pondering all remotely conceivable ways through, such as the inevitable omnicide we are already well into leaving our species with a small working group which finally recognizes that we are one species on one planet with the same fate. I don't hold my breath and I am quite familiar with the once NYT bestseller Final Exit...

Submitted on Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:34:05 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

"Still, I'm happy to listen to Paul Beckwith and others and would argue that we should bend all possible human efforts to finding ways through this. There are untold tens of thousands or more people pondering and actively working on this, from different perspectives. This, in spite of many concluding that it is inevitable."

Daniel, I agree. We might as well make an effort if for no other reason than we might be wrong. Daniel, is there ANY possibility we are wrong? When I say "WE" I am not talking just about "you and me." There are many that know what is going on that are saying the game is over.

An article from The Times of Israel: UK academic: It's too late to stop climate change, 'we're doomed' Mayer Hillman tells Guardian that only a total cut in global carbon emission can save humanity -- and that isn't going to happen.

-- I don't think I am familiar with the name Mayer Hillman. But a couple of other things he said in the article:

"A prominent British social scientist has warned that climate change will decimate life on earth, and although the trend could theoretically be reversed, it will not be, because society is too dependent on the fossil fuels it would need to eliminate."

"We're doomed," Hillman said of carbon emissions pushing up global temperatures. "The outcome is death, and it's the end of most life on the planet because we're so dependent on the burning of fossil fuels. There are no means of reversing the process which is melting the polar ice caps. And very few appear to be prepared to say so."

"Political parties' focus is on jobs and GDP, depending on the burning of fossil fuels," he said. "Even if the world went zero-carbon today, that would not save us because we've gone past the point of no return."

"Can you see everyone in a democracy volunteering to give up flying? Can you see the majority of the population becoming vegan? Can you see the majority agreeing to restrict the size of their families?"

"Action to alter the disastrous change in climate must overcome the obstacle of capitalism"

"Standing in the way is capitalism," Hillman said. "Can you imagine the global airline industry being dismantled when hundreds of new runways are being built right now all over the world? It's almost as if we're deliberately attempting to defy nature. We're doing the reverse of what we should be doing, with everybody's silent acquiescence, and nobody's batting an eyelid."

Submitted on Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 1:33:30 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I have been working on the alternative to the airlines for 25 years or so. You may have seen my website here it is for anyone who hasn't: hyperblimp.com. This could be put into effect in 1 to 5 years I am virtually certain. We would not need airports but read the website because I've already put my ideas there.

Submitted on Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:56:24 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

I have been looking at your hyperblimp webpage. I remember looking at it back when I first read your bio -- quite a long time ago. It amazes me how much work and thought you have put into it. Leslie is right. She told me you are one hell of a smart and bright guy!!

Nice pictures of you and the CEO Christine who just by chance I am sure, has the same last name as you. :)

Submitted on Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:41:33 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Em Sos

(Member since Jul 23, 2017), 2 fans, 21 articles, 2 quicklinks, 235 comments

Daniel 'Beery' I'd simply like to know your personal views of Freeman Dyson as a climate scientist.

Does age in fact have anything to do with intellectual redundancy?

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:58:45 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Daniel Geery

Reply to Em Sos:   New Content

The first question is easy, direct from Wikipedia:

Dyson agrees that anthropogenic global warming exists, and has written that "[one] of the main causes of warming is the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere resulting from our burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal and natural gas."[53] However, he believes that existing simulation models of climate fail to account for some important factors, and hence the results will contain too much error to reliably predict future trends:

The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the chemistry and the biology of fields and farms and forests. They do not begin to describe the real world we live in ...[53]

and, in 2009:

What has happened in the past 10 years is that the discrepancies between what's observed and what's predicted have become much stronger. It's clear now the models are wrong, but it wasn't so clear 10 years ago.[54]

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

As to what this amazing scientist thinks now, where day after day we find computer modelling is inadequate and scientists are astounded regularly by the exponential increase of changes, I don't know. There have been astounding measurable and readily observable changes since 2009. I suspect Dyson would listen most carefully to Guy McPherson, given how scientifically grounded these two folks are, but I certainly can't speak for him.

As for age and redundancy, the best I can do is tell you that my father's daily goal for about the last five years of his life, before passing at age 93, was "to clean my desk." At 71, I do find scary similarities in that particular area. Not to mention that I've been "trying to get organized" since about age 22! It may be genetic, but I suspect it's that way for all or at least most of us.

Submitted on Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:52:46 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Em Sos

(Member since Jul 23, 2017), 2 fans, 21 articles, 2 quicklinks, 235 comments

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

This 22 minute interview, in 2015, with Freeman Dyson, is what prompted me to make my comment:

.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKfWdXXfIs

Submitted on Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 10:20:31 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Reply to Em Sos:   New Content

I look forward to watching it later this evening. Many thanks! The man is obviously incredibly brilliant as a quick look at his bio will show to anyone. I have been hearing about him on and off for decades.

Submitted on Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 11:50:58 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Reply to Em Sos:   New Content

Em, I did take a look last night at the recommended video. It was at about ten minutes in where I felt at loggerheads with truly brilliant scientist (which I say, based on his well known history). The idea that more CO2 will help plants grow was a meme perpetuated by the fossil fuel folks long ago (I saw a video my former wife was showing her junior high students about twenty years ago, put out by the Koch Brothers if I recall correctly). Of course plants take in C02 and give us O2 in return, as presumably most of us learned in 9th grade.

Freeman doesn't seem to even address the blanket of greenhouse gasses that is warming the earth, with C02 bouncing back about half of the infrared waves (heat) back to the surface of the earth. I happen to be fairly familiar with this, having built a solar greenhouse and solar home click here and click here

He quite correctly criticizes computer models, given the many variables. But it is as if he has not kept up to speed on the observations made globally on a daily, even hourly basis. I felt I could go though the interview and raise point after point that he fails to address. But really, I've been posting these things for some time now and anyone can easily do the basic homework online. And lately, even via MSM, which more and more is talking about global warming behind so many accelerations of extreme weather, with no end in sight.

Freeman does addresses cloud cover, that is sometimes overlooked, although just recently I had lunch with Climatologist Ted Garrett, who specializes in this, and from that and what I've read most climatologists are seriously aware of it--even as a potential last ditch effort in atmospheric geoengineering.

Lastly, I greatly admire and respect this amazing individual, and if I am doing half as well at his age, I will be amazed. Thanks for sharing it.

Submitted on Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 9:59:04 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

David Watts

I have been looking at your hyperblimp webpage. I remember looking at it back when I first read your bio -- quite a long time ago. It amazes me how much work and thought you have put into it and what a really neat innovative creation you came up with! Leslie is right. She told me you are one hell of a smart and bright guy!!

Submitted on Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:49:13 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment