The charges Julian Assange faces are a major threat to press freedom. After being forcibly removed from the Ecuadorian Embassy, Assange is now in a high security prison in London where he faces extradition to the United States and imprisonment for the rest of his life.
At this forum, distinguished lawyers and activists will will explore the vitally important journalistic role Julian Assange has played in exposing the lawlessness of the US government and the threat posed by his prosecution to everyone who believes in freedom of the press.
- Alveena Shah, UCLA Law School, Moderator
- Barry Pollack, Julian Assange's US attorney
- Marjorie Cohn, National Lawyers Guild
- Carey Shenkman, First Amendment lawyer
- Jim Lafferty, National Lawyers Guild-LA"
- Stephen Rohde, Constitutional scholar, ACLU SoCal
- Sharon Kyle JD, LA Progressive
Featuring filmed interviews with Julian Assange, Noam Chomsky, and Daniel Ellsberg.
With Margaret Kunstler, co-editor of "In Defense of Julian Assange"
- ACLU Southern California and its First Amendment Committee
- ACLU SoCal Pasadena/Foothills Chapter
- Courage Foundation
- Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace
- LA Progressive
- National Lawyers Guild-LA
Proceeds will be used to defray costs of the event. Any funds left over will be donated to the nonprofit organizations putting on the event.
Scholarship tickets are available: Not one turned away for lack of funds
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).