Send a Tweet
Most Popular Choices
Share on Facebook 3 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
OpEdNews Op Eds   

Why did cases settle when the Catholic Church had no defense at all? Plus what Cardinal Mahony would have tetified

By       (Page 1 of 2 pages)   1 comment
Message Kay Ebeling

By Kay Ebeling

(Hearings in LA Clergy Cases begin again tomorrow in Los Angeles Superior Court, with two motions on calendar for Tuesday September 18th. The City of Angels will be there and continue reporting in this blog.)

In the LA clergy cases settled July 16th, the Archdiocese used more than 18 law firms to fight claims made by sex crime victims in its own churches, to fight families and family members in its own parishes. The settlement was $660 million and the LA Archdiocese may have spent another $660 million preventing justice from going forward.

Out of those 18 law firms not one cogent legal argument against a plaintiffs' case ever came forward. Church Attorneys never denied that the rapes and satanic acts on children's bodies took place. They just got cases dismissed for missed deadlines or because of plaintiffs' confusion as to which is the correct defendant church parish or other entity on which to serve a subpoena.

I'm still trying to understand why plaintiffs settled when the church really had no case at all? At the same time plaintiffs were ready to show a jury shocking evidence and put on testimony that would have blown the roof off cathedrals across the country. One Clinton Hagenbach case alone names 28 priests who were part of an inner circle of pedophiles in Southern California. Many of these inner circle pedophile pederast priests came from Our lady of the Angels Junior Seminary. Testimony would have showed how the church aided and abetted these criminals. With the cases settled how will we get that evidence now?

Over and over again Plaintiffs Requested a Discovery Referee
By July 16th there still was no Discovery Referee
The church was not cooperating at all.

A jury would have seen right through the church attorneys' antics.

For example on March 27, 2007, Plaintiffs' attorneys filed a Motion for a discovery referee because they were having so much trouble getting depositions and documents from the church.

As far as I can tell there still no discovery referee one by July 16th settlement

On May 16th was a hearing to compel Monsignor Lirette's Testimony and again at that hearing Plaintiffs' requested a discovery referee. Did plaintiffs ever get a deposition from Lirette?

In a jury trial the church's frivolous motions and obstructive dance in front of the judge would have been obvious. The church had no case, no legal argument to defend itself in any of the plaintiff cases in LA so I'm still stymied as to why they settled before jury trials.

Why did all 520 cases in LA have to settle? And all 108 in San Diego? Why couldn't some 5 percent of the cases against the LA Archdiocese have continued to trial while the other 95 percent ended in pretrial settlements. Why did the settlement have to be global?

Freberg's motion to compel deposition denied
Days Before SettlementsImportant Motion To Compel Documents of St. John's Denied
Motion of plaintiffs to compel deposition of custodian of Records for St. John's Seminary - DENIED
Right before the July 16th settlement.

The church won yet another round claiming plaintiffs' request "recycles arguments made numerous times in prior motions."

Doesn't this sounds like Alice in Wonderland came to life in the judge's chambers again?

Defendant argues the court can't order the seminary to produce files prior to an in camera review.

Plaintiff states that since Defendant asserts privacy objection Defendant knows documents have to first be sent for in camera review.

Next Page  1  |  2

(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).

Rate It | View Ratings

Kay Ebeling Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Wordsmith working in TV production in Los Angeles. Also free lance journalist with an active blog. Old enough to have demonstrated against the Vietnam War but still young enough to dance.
Go To Commenting
The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.
Writers Guidelines

Support OpEdNews

OpEdNews depends upon can't survive without your help.

If you value this article and the work of OpEdNews, please either Donate or Purchase a premium membership.

If you've enjoyed this, sign up for our daily or weekly newsletter to get lots of great progressive content.
Daily Weekly     OpEd News Newsletter
   (Opens new browser window)

To View Comments or Join the Conversation:

Tell A Friend