Share on Facebook 18 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing

Tulsi on Julian Assange, in under six minutes

By       (Page 1 of 1 pages)     (# of views)   7 comments
Message Daniel Geery

Tulsi on MSNBC speaking on Julian Assange. Under six minutes, well worth the watch and, IMVSO, why you should at least donate a dollar or a few to her campaign. She has enough support now to be on the debate stage, and let her voice be heard. As you know, MSNBC is not one to sing her praises; I thus consider this yet another example of TG's poise, insightfulness, poise, and ability to speak truth to power, calmly, eloquently, and for the average American to fully understand.

Must Read 3   Well Said 2   Valuable 2
Rate It | View Ratings

Daniel Geery Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

In my run for U.S. Senate against Utah's Orrin Hatch, I posted many progressive ideas and principles that I internalized over the years. I'm leaving that site up indefinitely, since it describes what I believe most members of our species truly (more...)

CIA Agent Confesses On Deathbed: 'We Blew Up WTC7 On 9/11'...YourNewsWire.com

Why have kids?

The Foundation of Religion Fractured, shaky, and exposed

Military Coup Has Taken Over the U.S. A., Without a Single Shot Fired

Comments Image Post Article Comment and Rate This Article

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms.

• OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.
  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.
  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.

Comment Here:

You can enter 2000 characters. To remove limit, please click here.
Please login or register. Afterwards, your comment will be published.

Username
Password

Forgot your password? Click here and we will send an email to the address you used when you registered.
First Name
Last Name

I am at least 16 years of age
(make sure username & password are filled in. Note that username must be an email address.)

2 people are discussing this page, with 7 comments  Post Comment

Ramani K V

(Member since Mar 8, 2012), 31 fans, 5 articles, 14 quicklinks, 2656 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

She is a voice for people like us who have been saying the same things for years. She also has the same chance of getting to be president as one of us. If she does perform the miracle, she will have to perform a second one to stay alive.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 13, 2019 at 2:01:12 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Daniel Geery

(Member since Jul 9, 2009), 71 fans, 298 articles, 3488 quicklinks, 15845 comments, 180 diaries

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Ramani K V:   New Content

There is one way to find out. I'm already helping her and hope every other intelligent person, such as yourself, is too.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 13, 2019 at 1:22:51 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Ramani K V

(Member since Mar 8, 2012), 31 fans, 5 articles, 14 quicklinks, 2656 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

Your system of electoral democracy has long passed its expiry date. It can't be fixed by any candidate, no matter how sensible he/she might sound. You folks are kidding yourselves each time, getting all excited over this or that leadership choice. Don't you see you are all prisoners 'electing' your jail warden? There is no freedom so long as the prison exists. Stop voting, make the prison unworkable.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 13, 2019 at 4:19:20 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Ramani K V:   New Content

Our lives are short, literally and figurativelly. My choice is to go out doing what I can to relieve human suffering and leave the planet as best I can. We are headed to extinction very much sooner than later. What do you advocate as we, you, I and others, fade from existence?

Looking most forward to your thoughtful response.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 13, 2019 at 6:38:16 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

P.S. I am not hyperventilating or holding my breath. Nor do I recommend it, having been through that process more times than I can remember. But think clearly, please and thank you, and do what you can from where you sit. Still looking forward to your response.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 13, 2019 at 7:44:37 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Ramani K V

(Member since Mar 8, 2012), 31 fans, 5 articles, 14 quicklinks, 2656 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Daniel Geery:   New Content

You are a good man, Dan. I have respected you all these years for intellectual capacity and personal integrity. So I take your question seriously.

I see it as two questions. One about the state of world affairs which are driving us to the brink of a nuclear extinction by the US and its suicidal European allies. The other is about global warming which many like you feel is driving us towards another kind of extinction. The main difference between the two is the time scale.

When I say Americans and Europeans (including the British, Australians and New Zealanders) should boycott elections, I am not advocating something I haven't done myself. As a citizen of the world's largest democracy, I have never voted in my life, not once. I was disillusioned with the hypocrisy of both religion and politics at the age of 17. Born a Brahmin, I went through my sacred thread rites when I turned 16. Within a year, I stopped the rituals one has to go through by rote after observing how empty these were without self-reflection on one's words and actions against the in-built moral compass we are all born with. At the Kumbh Mela -- a 12-yearly festival at the confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna and mystical Saraswati rivers --, as many as 130 million Hindus gather for a mass immersion ceremony to wash away their sins. Few stop to question the contradiction of this with the Hindu's own concept of karma. If all sin can be washed away by such a simple act, there cannot be a karma to carry over to the next life. Or at most, one's karma covers only the tail-end of one's life after the last purification. Indeed, such a belief constitutes a moral hazard because one can sin with impunity for 12 years at a time.

When I looked around with those thoughts, I realized the moral hazard was very much at play in Indian society. Most of all in politics. Liars, cheats, semi-literate corrupt people amassing immense intergenerational fortunes, even thugs, gangsters and murderers dominated the choices people were expected to vote on. With a 80% Hindu majority, it goes without saying most were Hindus. Presumably, most were also believers of the convenient provision for washing away their sins. Few, if any, were worthy of being a leader of society. Indeed, I felt to vote for them would amount to being an accessory to their crimes.

I became a religious and political agnostic before I reached voting age, almost at the same time. Has my life been meaningless therefore? I don't think so. I have worked hard for what I have now as I near 70. I have tried my best to hold myself to the touchstone of my conscience. Perhaps I have not done as much good I could have to others but I hope I have not done as much harm either. If I reflect on the past seven decades, I cannot claim I have never sinned. Whether they are outweighed by whatever good I have done is not for me to know. That will be judged by karma and I will bear the consequences, for the better or worse, in my next life. For me, there is no cathartic purification into a river and fading out into the sunset on a white horse.

We do not waste our lives by refusing to take part in rituals devoid of meaning. We waste our lives by taking part in them, by legitimizing what should not be legitimized. Einstein said it differently in his quip about insanity.

On global warming, I shall be brief as you know my position on it. I believe whatever warming is taking place has little to do with human carbon emissions. Far larger events, such as sun spot activity and the alarming decline in the earth's magnetism as the poles switch, are the likely causes. They can no more be stopped by our individual actions or by our collective scientific capabilities than King Canute could stop the tide. People like you who believe differently are obviously impelled by the urge to act, to do something, anything. I honestly don't think it will make any difference. It's not that I am unconcerned. But what cannot be cured must be endured. Translation in climate science parlance: forget about mitigation, do what we can to adapt to whatever is heading our way.

Submitted on Sunday, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:05:07 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Daniel Geery

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Ramani K V:   New Content

Beautifully stated, KV. I find little to disagree with, save causes on climate change, though I agree there is little we can truly do. Growing up a strict Catholic, I did marvel at how I could have my weekly sins absolved with a few Hail Marys, or at worst a rosary; it made the week of sins well worth it! I could go on and on--and have!--but that's the gist of it. In re Tulsi, I like her message and find it personally meaningful to advocate for her.

Thanks for your insightful reply.

Submitted on Sunday, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:47:10 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment