From Robert Reich Blog
Trump voters: Two years in, here's an updated list of Trump's 30 biggest broken promises.
1. He told you he'd cut your taxes, and that the super-rich like him would pay more. You bought it. But his 2017 tax law has done the opposite. By 2027, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, the richest 1 percent will have received 83 percent of the tax cut and the richest 0.1 percent, 60 percent of it. But more than half of all Americans -- 53 percent -- will pay more in taxes. As Trump told his wealthy friends at Mar-a-Lago just days after the tax bill became law, "You all just got a lot richer."
2. He promised that the average family would see a $4,000 pay raise because of the tax law. You bought it. But real wages for most Americans are lower today than they were before the tax law went into effect.
3. He promised to close special interest loopholes that have been so good for Wall Street investors but unfair to American workers, especially the notorious "carried interest" loophole for private-equity, hedge fund, and real estate partners. You bought it. But the new tax law kept the "carried interest" loophole.
4. He promised to bring an end to Kim Jong-Un's nuclear program. You bought it. Kim Jong-Un hasn't denuclearized.
5. He told you he'd repeal Obamacare and replace it with something "beautiful," including "insurance for everybody." You bought it. But he didn't repeal and he didn't replace. (Just as well: His plan would have knocked at least 24 million Americans off health insurance, including many of you.) Instead, he's doing what he can to cut it back and replace it with nothing. According to the Commonwealth Fund, about 4 million Americans have lost health insurance in the last two years.
6. He told you he wouldn't "cut Social Security like every other Republican and I'm not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid." You bought it. But now he's planning such cuts in order to deal with the ballooning deficit created, in part, by the new tax law for corporations and the rich.
7. He promised to protect anyone with pre-existing conditions. You bought it. But in June, his Justice Department told a federal court it would no longer defend provisions of Obamacare that protect patients with pre-existing conditions. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the decision was made with Trump's approval.
8. He said he'd build a "wall" across the southern border. You believed him. But there's no wall.
9. He told you he'd invest $1 trillion in our nation's crumbling infrastructure. You bought it. But after his giant tax cut for corporations and millionaires, there's no money left for infrastructure.
10. He said he'd drain the Washington swamp. You bought it. But he's brought into his administration more billionaires, CEOs, and Wall Street moguls than in any administration in history, to make laws that will enrich their businesses, and he's filled departments and agencies with former lobbyists, lawyers and consultants who are crafting new policies for the same industries they recently worked for.
11. He promised to re-institute a five-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for five years after they leave government." You bought it. But the five-year ban he signed applies only to lobbying one's former agency, not the government as a whole, and it doesn't stop former officials from becoming lobbyists.
12. He said he'd use his business experience to whip the White House into shape. You bought it. But he has created the most dysfunctional, back-stabbing White House in modern history, and has already fired and replaced so many assistants that people there barely know who's in charge of what.
13. He told you he'd "bring down drug prices" by negotiating "like crazy" with drug companies. You bought it. But he hasn't.
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).