By greydogg and snake arbusto, 99GetSmart
- The government-of-the-regime has released more details about the latest austerity package. The new measures will reduce tax exemptions totaling 450 -- million. The elimination of the exemptions will affect large and low-income families, the disabled, and unemployed.
- Reduction in the rate of the VAT refund to farmers from 11% to 7% for a savings of 121 -- million.
- Reduction in social service tax breaks with an estimated saving of 229 -- million.
- Reduction in the extra tax-free allowance of 2,000 -- for qualifying taxpayers with disabilities.
- Over 67% reductions of tax exemptions for the disabled.
- Elimination of income-tax exemptions applicable to unemployment.
- Increase of fees for submitting lawsuits in order to collect additional revenues of 100 -- million.
- VimaFM radio in Athens interviewed a SYRIZA spokesman who made statements regarding the newest round of austerity measures that are about to pummel the already beleaguered Greek people:
"Here it is -- the plan includes very hard, horizontal measures which will essentially destroy a large part of our society, literally, in its passage."
"With the passage of these new measures the country will reverse decades of social progress." He added, "The impact of these measures on the economy and society would amount to a picturereminiscent of the post-war period.
And, unfortunately, it will not be the last package, as the prime minister has, once again, promised."
He explained that imposing a new round of austerity measures will be deeply recessionary, stating, "I fear even more unemployment. I fear the mass emigration of our young people. And, I'm afraid that even more -- hundreds of thousands -- of businesses will close."
He concluded, "We must seek to overturn these measures by mobilizing popular resistance against these policies."
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).