1. Spiritual Guidance and Faith:
That of Jesus the preacher in human form on the Cross, to all then around Him and all else, later: "Love thine enemy; what is to be gained, if we only love in return those who love us?" and
He who hates no single being, is friendly and compassionate, free from self-regard and vanity, the same in good and evil, patient; contented, ever devout, subdued in soul, firm in purpose, fixed on Me in heart and mind, and who worships Me, is dear to Me. (Bhagavad Gita 12:13-14), and
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones. (Book of Proverbs 3:5-8), and
"Every man will sit under his own vine and under his own fig tree and none will make him afraid" (prophet Micah. 4:4), and the famous aphorism of Hillel: "If I am not for myself, who will be? But if I am only for myself, what am I?", and
That of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) who said, "He will not enter paradise whose neighbor is not secure from his wrongful conduct", (Kitab Al-Imam, Ch 19, Book 001), and
The disciples of Gotama are always well awake, and their mind day and night always delights in compassion. (Dhammapada V. 300).
There is an enduring social contract embedded in these non-violent messages that our species has not yet brought to fruition, even as we acknowledge that its various members subscribe to different spiritual traditions.
No one, in or out of the Temple, Gompha, Synagogue, Church, or Mosque, is exempt from the benefits associated with the practice of these universal guidelines...but then,
some of these guidelines came to be set aside through 'The Doctrine of Discovery' (DOD), that got its first verbal expression in 1452, when Pope Nicholas V issued a papal bull to Portuguese King Alfonso V authorizing the king "to invade, capture, vanquish, and subdue... all Saracens and pagans, and other enemies of Christ... to reduce such persons to perpetual slavery" and further "to take away all their possessions and property"...
2. Secularization of the 'Doctrine of Discovery':
Under guidance of the DOD, human rights were unacknowledged by the 'discoverers' and the natives were outgunned, killed, displaced, neutralized, sent to 'Reservations'...
3. 1776, saw the Declaration of Independence from Britain, and in 1789 the Constitution of USA was adopted by 13 states to guide behavior. In the Constitution, 'money--power' was kept by private bankers through the efforts of the Merchant Lobby and Alexander Hamilton.
The United States Supreme Court was quick to grant legal standing to the benefits bestowed by the self-serving 'Disvovery Doctrine' to the then emerging nation, providing structure in 'Law' to be fleshed out with 'Order'.
4. Then came knowledge from scientific investigations of Charles Darwin (theory of evolution, 1859):
"As many more individuals of each species are born than can possibly survive; and as, consequently, there is a frequently recurring struggle for existence, it follows that any being, if it vary however slightly in any manner profitable to itself, under the complex and sometimes varying conditions of life, will have a better chance of surviving, and thus be naturally selected
. From the strong principle of inheritance, any selected variety will tend to propagate its new and modified form". ,
providing traction in secular governance for the 1452 bull of Pope Nicholas V, that had little regard for, and disinherited the human heritage of, non-christian 'others'.
5. International colonialism by European nations followed from the 15th through the 20th centuries under the guise of 'White man's burden', transferring natural resources and wealth generated through colonial labor back to the colonizing nations. This was generally aided by colonizers colluding with natives under local 'law and order'. Subjugation of natives and transfer of their land continues to be 'carried-on' in the Middle-East...
In 21st-century civilization, human rights are made available only to about 2 billion of the global population jointly populating the upper echelon club of all nations, and little to none to the remaining 5 billion, through 'exclusion morality' and 'structural violence' practiced by the global political economy.
About 3 billion people are assigned to live on less than $2 per head per day, leading to 30,000 daily global poverty deaths.
How are 'all needs of life' managed on one $ a day?
Below please find a 2011 documentary on the Gautamalan 'one dollar a day' living experience of American college students presented at TEDx:
6. The desire to "Meet The Minimum Needs of All", and provide universal human rights is a natural human aspiration as it is an earth right of all humans and requires no subsidy from the global 'haves' to whom its denial does not belong, but,
There are impediments to achieving the same due to the radical norm of the global geo-political economic order through over 500 years of play by the 'doctrine of discovery', and its coincident institutions kept in place by the money-cartel, corporations, the military-industrial complex, and their serving cohorts.
These institutions lead to self-centered rationalizations and utilization of covert and overt violence, in their attempts to 'settle' disagreements on the issue.
Such violence is motivated by inertia and the need for social differentiation through maintenance of an ill-begotten standard of living by some (about 30%), jointly acting as psychological ' hush money' on conscience, militating against universal of human rights.
Further, with no accountability, exercising no value other than the desire for profit, the money-cartel seeks out and finances either side of any mature socio-political 'disagreement', so that they may bank the interests charged and collected from both sides.
7. The practical way for both sides to acknowledge the natural origins and consequent earth rights of the global human population and arrive at a covenant on universal human rights is through non-violent emotive and intellectual dialog, over the current violent methods of the global political economy striving to maintain the status quo.
Given the above rationale, as human beings aided by artificial intelligence (AI), the disenfranchised 5 billion and the 2 billion beneficiaries of the DOD must convene through a 'global organization for action' to non-violently negotiate earth rights for all.
And what if overall, the global 'haves' are unable to make the transition to non-violent resolution? Nature tends to archive failures, and AI, a natural product, would attend to that outcome.
Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission natural selection, the force that made us... soon we must look deep into ourselves and decide what we wish to become.
---E.O.Wilson, Consilience: the Unity of Knowledge, 1998
Will robots inherit the earth? Yes, but they will be our children.
---Marvin Minsky, 1995
May God Bless the Whole World.
M. Radh Achuthan