- We live in a different world since 9/11
- You can't appease terrorists
- How are you liberals gonna keep me safe from our enemies?
Bush and his minions have repeatedly said that we're going to "... win the War on Terror...", and that "... the United States of America will prevail...". And of course, we "...won't bring our troops home until the mission has succeeded...". However, they have never successfully defined what success really is. They've never successfully defined who our enemies really are. And, most importantly, they've never successfully defined WHY these people (whoever they are) are our enemies. Instead, they just refer to them as "our enemies" and "terrorists", and kept it vague enough to maintain the conflict. Permanent, perpetual war means profits for Dick and the MIC.
Take a step back
A fundamental technique in solving any problem is to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Ask the "WHY" questions. Analyze the situation and history to try to get at the root of the problem.
Terrorism is not our enemy
First of all, as mature, level-headed adults (and it's debatable that many of these right-wingnuts are level-headed at all, let alone mature), we need to acknowledge that 'terrorism' itself is not our enemy. Terrorism is a mechanism. It's an action. It's a tactic that induces fear. Terrorism itself is not our enemy. If it was, George W. Bush would be our #1 enemy. Certainly he has instilled more fear in the American people than any "Islamic Fascist".
So right up front, this "War on Terror" is nothing but a farce. It's an evil scheme to incite perpetual conflict, and hence fuel the MIC and the power-grabbing executive branch of government.
Here's the problem
No one (in a position of leadership, that is) has actually taken that step back and adequately answered the question - "Why are they our enemies?" Of course the answer to that question is very long & complex, but I believe that these people are our enemies because we've made them our enemies. Not only have we labeled them as such, thereby perpetuating the self-fulfilling prophecy, but we've bullied the Arab/Islamic/Muslim people so much that they have no choice but to distrust us and ultimately hate us:
- We've repeatedly bullied them into customs which go directly against their culture, religion, & governance
- We've bullied them into hosting our military bases (don't forget the neo-con's imperialistic PNAC agenda)
- We've slaughtered hundreds of thousands of their brethren
- We've occupied their land
- We've tortured their friends & relatives
- We've disbanded their military (basically laid them off and created unprecedented unemployment)
- We've stolen their reconstruction contracts
- We've used the United Nations to impose sanctions on them for doing things that we routinely do
- We've repeatedly left them high-and-dry (Did I heard the heroin industry in Afghanistan is now 90% of their GDP? Geez, didn't we invade, er 'liberate' that country too and oust the Taliban?)
- And to top it off, we egged Israel into battling them in Lebanon (this was basically a test of military power for when we're ready to take on Iran)
Right about now the basic right-wingnut is calling me an unpatriotic, terrorist-sympathizer. I suppose that's their prerogative since we live in a land where the freedom of speech is so highly valued. In the US, people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how whacked-out they are.
So, here's my point
Neo-con, right-wingnut response: "What mess?"
And that's the problem.