Send a Tweet
Most Popular Choices
Poll Analyses
Share on Facebook 54 Share on Twitter 2 Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
OpEdNews Op Eds    H2'ed 3/8/20

The Political Assassination of Bernie Sanders

By       (Page 1 of 1 pages) (View How Many People Read This)   6 comments
Author 42414
Message Marc Ash
Become a Fan
  (5 fans)

From Reader Supported News

Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders
(Image by Gage Skidmore)
  Details   DMCA

Joe Biden's candidacy had the same purpose as Michael Bloomberg's: they were designed, planned, and promoted to derail the most popular and most trusted candidate in America, Bernie Sanders. No, it was not a fair fight, not even close.

Why would the Democrats, Bloomberg, and the cable news oracles go so far out of their way to bring down the Bernie Sanders campaign at any cost? Easy when Sanders says he wants to "take on the special interests," what the Democrats and their allies hear him saying is that he wants to get between them and the flow of money from those special interests. Yes, they were willing, as The New York Times put it, to "Risk Party Damage to Stop Bernie Sanders." Party damage and a whole lot more. More on that later.

Michael Bloomberg was up front when he entered the race -- that he was entering the race to stop Bernie Sanders. Specifically because Joe Biden wasn't running a good enough campaign against Sanders. No, Bloomberg's campaign was not a flop or a waste of his five-hundred-million-dollar investment, it was money strategically spent to achieve an objective. At this point, it's on track to be a successful investment.

Joe Biden's reason for entering the campaign late was virtually the same. Biden was not necessarily considered a strong candidate to defeat Donald Trump. He was encouraged to run because he would have the full backing of the Democratic Party machine for the purpose of preventing Bernie Sanders from getting the Democratic nomination. That machine includes two powerful cable networks, who could be counted on to put their full weight behind Biden and against Sanders.

Cable giants MSNBC and CNN, owned by NBC Universal Media and Warner Media respectively, are ostensibly broadcast arms of Comcast in the case of MSNBC, and AT&T in the case of CNN, but when it comes to political policy they also function as Democratic Party oracles. At a price.

MSNBC, CNN, Comcast and AT&T are all subject to various forms of government regulation. If the government is friendly to their needs, legislation is produced that allows them to boost profits, often at the cost of consumers.

In the days leading up to the Super Tuesday primary contests, MSNBC and CNN generated a non-stop media blitz of coverage favorable to Biden and unfavorable to Sanders. It was a massive unreported campaign contribution to the Biden campaign.

This has been a five-year coordinated effort to derail and delegitimize the most popular and trusted political candidate in America because he has the audacity to try to separate public policy from private money.

What the Democratic Party and its cable news oracles are doing by engaging in this scorched-earth campaign against Sanders's reforms risks far more than "Democratic Party damage." At stake are four more years of Donald Trump's lawlessness, the effective termination of the American Republic and the rule of law, the destruction of the NATO Alliance, and the rise of the Russian Federation in the power vacuum and a whole lot more.

The argument that Biden is better suited to defeat Trump than is Sanders is a scarlet red herring. If true, Biden would not have needed such extraordinary assistance, which he absolutely did.

The Democratic Party must not be the Anti-Democratic party. What the Democratic Party is proving is that its nominating process is a show and a sham and doesn't actually have anything to do with how the nomination is won or who wins it. This is the same old top-down Democratic Party. The voters aren't there to make decisions, they are there to do what the party instructs them to do.

So much for free and fair elections.

Reader Supported News is the Publication of Origin for this work. Permission to republish is freely granted with credit and a link back to Reader Supported News.

 

Must Read 1   Well Said 1   Supported 1  
Rate It | View Ratings

Marc Ash Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Marc Ash is the founder and former Executive Director of Truthout, now the founder, editor and publisher of Reader Supported News: http://www.readersupportednews.org

Go To Commenting
The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.
Writers Guidelines
Contact AuthorContact Author Contact EditorContact Editor Author PageView Authors' Articles
Support OpEdNews

OpEdNews depends upon can't survive without your help.

If you value this article and the work of OpEdNews, please either Donate or Purchase a premium membership.

STAY IN THE KNOW
If you've enjoyed this, sign up for our daily or weekly newsletter to get lots of great progressive content.
Daily Weekly     OpEdNews Newsletter
Name
Email
   (Opens new browser window)
 

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

The Betrayal of Cecily McMillan

The Political Assassination of Bernie Sanders

Are the Oak Ridge Defendants Obama's p*ssy Riot?

What Leeann Tweeden Did Not Say

Tortured Folks

Plutocrats Win Control of Congress

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this article has expired.

This limit can be removed. Our paid membership program is designed to give you many benefits, such as removing this time limit. To learn more, please click here.

4 people are discussing this page, with 6 comments

Jerry Lobdill

Become a Fan
Author 4979
Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Feb 17, 2007), 24 fans, 40 articles, 120 quicklinks, 3227 comments, 24 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

  New Content

This article is spot on the mark. The 1% is scared sh*tless that they are going to lose their corrupt gravy train if Bernie is elected and Modern Monetary Theory gains a chance to expose the fraud in our present monetary system that guarantees the impoverishment of the 99%. This con game enabled the $26T bailout of the predators who engineered the 2008 financial crisis.

I will be writing more about this situation soon.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 10, 2020 at 5:13:17 PM

  Recommend  (0+)
Help

Jerry Lobdill

Become a Fan
Author 4979
Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Feb 17, 2007), 24 fans, 40 articles, 120 quicklinks, 3227 comments, 24 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

  New Content

This article is spot on the mark. The 1% is scared sh*tless that they are going to lose their corrupt gravy train if Bernie is elected and Modern Monetary Theory gains a chance to expose the fraud in our present monetary system that guarantees the impoverishment of the 99%. This con game enabled the $26T bailout of the predators who engineered the 2008 financial crisis.

I will be writing more about this situation soon.

Submitted on Tuesday, Mar 10, 2020 at 5:13:35 PM

  Recommend  (0+)
Help

Stephen Fox

Become a Fan
Author 4578
(Member since Jan 21, 2007), 31 fans, 538 articles, 1074 quicklinks, 3762 comments, 14 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

  New Content

If progressive Democrats are alarmed re: Biden's gaffes AND lies, imagine what comes out of the GOP meat grinder! Shaun King's book comes out 4/21 about Biden's civil rights history fabrications, and then James Clyburn, Kamala Harris, Beto, Cory Booker and others have to deal with their endorsements which was based on a rotten false core, and blacks will line up to vote for Trump. Will DNC ask Bernie to come to the rescue? Probably they might have to....

This is my introductory comment on my article article coming out soon here at OEN exploring the ramifications of the Intercept's commentary: Forget the Gaffes, What About Biden's Lies?


Joe Biden under scrutiny for war story told on campaign trail l ABC News The Washington Post found he conflated several events when telling a popular tale about how he traveled to Afghanistan to pin a Silver Star on a young Navy ...
(Image by YouTube, Channel: ABC News)
Details DMCA

Submitted on Thursday, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:43:16 AM

  Recommend  (0+)
Help

William P. Homans

Become a Fan
Author 62250
(Member since Mar 30, 2011), 17 fans, 92 articles, 215 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

  New Content

The black electorate got it wrong in 2016, when they gave states to Hillary Clinton, a Young Republican while Sanders was being arrested in the Civil Rights Movement. I haven't read the Shaun King book, but they appear to have done it again in 2020.

Submitted on Thursday, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:43:23 PM

  Recommend  (0+)
Help

William P. Homans

Become a Fan
Author 62250
(Member since Mar 30, 2011), 17 fans, 92 articles, 215 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

  New Content

The black electorate got it wrong in 2016, when they gave states to Hillary Clinton, a Young Republican while Sanders was being arrested in the Civil Rights Movement. I haven't read the Shaun King book, but they appear to have done it again in 2020.

Submitted on Thursday, Mar 12, 2020 at 4:59:03 PM

  Recommend  (0+)
Help

DAVID KANEGIS

Become a Fan
Author 512069
Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Sep 15, 2018), 2 fans, 46 articles, 7 quicklinks, 270 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linked In Page Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

  New Content

Hi, my take is a bit different. I'm a staunch Bernie supporter (check out all my articles on OpEd.)

That being said here's where I differ slightly in my view.

I do believe the DNC is afraid that Bernie will lose to Trump. I do believe they want a "more mainstream" candidate. I do believe they cheated Bernie out of the nomination in 2016!

However, if you look at the primary results where Bernie was so strong against Hillary in 2016 yet in many cases weak against Joe Biden, I think it tells a bit of a different story. Perhaps, the antipathy against Hillary garnered Bernie more votes than he might otherwise have received.

While I heartily applaud Bernie standing up in all that he believes, I do think he needs to show a bit of "political flexibiliy." This is not selling out. This is how not only politics but all negotiation works.

I believe the country (at least about 60%) support Bernie's ideas. I believe if not for Bernie most of these ideas would be buried and not even discussed.

That being said... putting aside the establishment and looking at the average voter. For whatever the reason, many have a higher level of confidence (at this point in history) in Joe Biden's experience and calm. They feel he is better equipped to step into the Presidency on day one.

Of course, most didnt hear him say he would not pass Medicare for All... though he did qualify it with a request to show how it would be paid for in detail.

Bernie want's big steps. Biden, little ones. The country right now, partcularly with the pandemic may not be looking for revolution as Bernie describes it.

I think this may be a mistake as Biden might very well lose to Trump.

But Bernie is a hard sell particularly to older Americans. I understand why but don't have the time to discuss here.

If Bernie is to succeed (my ardent hope) he must do more than simply "beat" Joe Biden in the debate.

He must come across as ready to work with others and to help the Democratic party down ballot. If he doesn't he will not get the support he needs. Once again this is not playing politics. It is being realistic.

Of all Bernie's major proposals I think his intransigence on a phase in over an 8 year period (arbirary number) of Medicare for All is his biggest mistake. The reality is, once he begins the program, Americans will find it offers the best coverage and will gravitate to it... probably in a much shorter time frame. Consequently, I am not sure of the down side.

All of the above being said, I am a progressive who believes we must vote for the candidate that wins the nomination even if it is not Bernie. However, if anyone can solve the puzzle of getting young people to vote in very large numbers, Bernie can win both the nomination and the general election!

Submitted on Friday, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:22:36 AM

  Recommend  (0+)
Help