Molly the Robin
Molly the Robin
My name is Molly and I am an American robin. As I fly over your country, mine too, I see many things. I learned to think by seeing myself in car door mirrors. I am a mother who has had several broods of hatchlings. A fellow wrote about me in Animal Park. He only got half the story right as most people do because you humans think you are not as bad as you really are or not as good as you think you are. The other half I'll have to tell you myself. Well, that's another story.
I know that birds are good talkers like politicians, even the least capable among them can talk his way around any subject. Reminds me of bluejays who are noisiest but best talkers around.
As I fly around the country it is evident there is much work needed to be done here. From the solitude of school libraries closed during vacations as well as those wonderful public libraries it is clear that your country desperately needs solutions. Those leaders of yours in politics and industry made the decision with major tax incentives some time ago to allow corporations to go abroad to build factories to supply your country with countless products. The result was your country became a virtual service sector economy and almost everything is made overseas from toothpicks to table clothes to televisions.
Hardly anything is made here, except for your cruise missiles, bombs, jet aircraft and navy ships which are very expensive and only a few are employed despite the trillions of dollars expended for the last several decades. Flying over your country I crafted this Handbook of Rebuild and Retool your nation.
1. Fix your roads
and bridges to promote travel which is the engine of business as well as
providing safety to your citizenry. Build
a high speed rail network east to west and north to south in your country. A future of potholes is not a way to run a country. If your government was so concerned about the safety its citizens there would be a National Pothole Agency, for how many people are injured as a result of potholes, not to mention all the billions of dollars damage they do to your vehicles.
2. Clean up all your abandoned factories in order to ready the area for housing or businesses. Never allow a company to abandon its business before it makes it available for sale or lease passing all building codes.
3. If companies desire to go overseas because it is too expensive for them to do business in their own country do not provide incentives for them. It is their decision, not yours as a government. The role of government is to assist the citizenry by allowing business to flourish, such as having universal single payer health care and providing affordable public utilities.
4. Where are the jobs of the future going to come from? The service economy that often provides so little service and so little income to the employees? The government ought to be working with companies to help plan for the future and provide incentives like green jobs for a green economy wherever possible. The earth is our home. Pollution of the earth ought to be outlawed. Some of us wildlife creatures as you call them are still living off the land, you know.
5. Eliminate or reduce entire departments of the government to focus on jobs, your economy and infrastructure including what training and education are required to build a sustainable economy. Your ad hoc financial bailouts are signs of your failures-specifically the failures of your democrats and republicans.
6. How is national security served by shipping jobs overseas? I overheard some ladies talking that they could find hardly anything made in your country, not the clothes and now even the vegetables are coming from foreign countries. What are your citizens going to do now and in the future? What is your government doing? I mean what are your democrats and republicans doing about it? Ask them.
7. As I fly over parts of some of your cities they look like ravaged war zones. Do you have so little respect for the earth, my home, that you despoil it this way? Why do you allow your cities and towns to deteriorate in this way, for it shows ignorance and lazy thinking and very dangerous for all concerned too.
8. If some company wants to make junk and bring it to your country why make it easy with tax incentives. There is a difference between restricting trade and dismantling your industrial base because corporations find it cheaper to do business in foreign countries because there are no financial health care obligations for them.
9. Government ought to assist in reducing the cost of electricity so both industry and your citizens can thrive. There is so much to do and your democrats and republicans are spending money on your far flung empire which often appears to do you more harm than good.