Share on Facebook 10 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing

Follow Me on Twitter     Message Edward Curtin

By Edward Curtin

Autumn trees country road fence
Autumn trees country road fence
(Image by ForestWander.com)
  Details   DMCA

Throughout our days we all notice many things that elicit questions that quickly pass through us as in a dream. Here are some questions that I caught on the fly before they melted from my mind, and when I asked myself what the answers were, only songs came to me, songs that didn't exactly answer the questions but set me to dreaming. This is an invitation to dream along.

* Two women out walking do not stop talking. An elderly man and woman out dining do not start talking.

Who says the most?

"Hello in There," John Prine

* Every morning at sunrise, a simple, mild, and gentle man, seemingly somehow disabled, a camera hanging around his neck, stands stock still and half-hidden by reeds and bushes at the edge of a lake. For hours he waits to take photos of wildlife deer, coyotes, bear, herons emerging from the woods and lake's edges.

What is it about wildness that he seeks to capture with his camera?

"Like A Bird on a Wire," Leonard Cohen

* In a small New England town known as a haven for tourists and wealthy second-house owners from the city, the local Saturday morning farmers' market features a parade of dogs being shown off by their visiting owners.

Who is on the leash?

"Hound Dog," Elvis

* A new 6thgrade teacher reports to her department head that she is disturbed by the large number of her students who want to be addressed as "they." She recounts how she just returned from taking her daughter to college at a prominent state university where all the professors who gave talks to parents and new students introduced themselves by saying how they wished to be addressed: he, she, they, etc.

Is this what it's all about in today's schools of show and tell?

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5

Must Read 2   Well Said 1   Touching 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Edward Curtin Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter Page       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Educated in the classics, philosophy, literature, theology, and sociology, I am a former professor of sociology. My writing on varied topics has appeared widely over many years. I write as a public intellectual for the general public, not (more...)

Remembering Albert Camus' "The Plague": It is US

Prof. Noam Chomsky, Anarchist, Lectures Leftists on Why They Should Vote for Neo-Liberal, War Hawk Hillary Clinton

The Coming Wars to End All Wars

The "Deep State" Then and Now

Happy Fifth Anniversary, Hillary, You've Destroyed Libya

The Fakest Fake News: The U.S. Government's 9/11 Conspiracy Theory - A Review of 9/11Unmasked: An International Review

Comments

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1988 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

I hope David Watts reads this. He also has a great knack for answering questions with the perfect song.

Thanks, Ed.

click here

Submitted on Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 5:54:17 PM

Recommend  (2+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1988 comments

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

oops!

Submitted on Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 6:03:34 PM

Recommend  (1+)

Edward Curtin

(Member since Jun 15, 2014), 19 fans, 132 articles, 13 quicklinks, 249 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter Page Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Thanks, Janet. I some cases here, I think the songs might deepen the mestery and extend the questions. They sure do make you think nd dream.

Submitted on Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 7:56:47 PM

Recommend  (2+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 13 fans, 20 articles, 28 quicklinks, 2321 comments, 27 diaries

Reply to Edward Curtin:   New Content

Edward, what a great idea for your article. Following, you will see my "dreaming along" even if I don't dream as well as you. It's been fun, even if the best I can do is dream of counting flowers on the wall keeping me from doing the things I need to do.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 1, 2019 at 2:59:36 AM

Recommend  (0+)

David Watts

He has lost her, She is gone.

How does he put into words a way to let her know how much she means to him, how does he put into words a way to let her know how much he wishes she were still there with him ... day after day?

"Days"

click here

Submitted on Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 9:27:23 PM

Recommend  (2+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1988 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

This is sad.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 1, 2019 at 12:42:58 AM

Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

She heard two people talking about how upset they were with the world. They said,

While they're standing in the welfare lines
Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation
Wasting time in the unemployment lines
Sitting around waiting for a promotion

They said, the tables are starting to turn.

I asked, what is the answer? After they answered, I asked, do you really think so?

Tracy Chapman talking about a ...

click here

Submitted on Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 10:25:31 PM

Recommend  (2+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1988 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Great song; love Tracy Chapman.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 1, 2019 at 12:43:42 AM

Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

There have always been wars. But why? What would god tell us? Does god play a role?

Joan Baez - With God On Our Side (1965)
(Image by YouTube, Channel: manudona88)
Details DMCA

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 1, 2019 at 1:17:33 AM

Recommend  (0+)

David Watts

Technology was supposed to make life easier. My computer will not reboot; with my phone in my pocket or traveling in my car, they always know where I am and have been. I can text and I can email, but the time it takes seems to me to be too much. I got along just fine in the 1950s but then has become now, the age of machinery; is my life easier, or is there simply more aggravation?

The Kinks - 20th Century Man Great song. Just some images and lyrics.
(Image by YouTube, Channel: rhorto01)
Details DMCA

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 1, 2019 at 1:45:14 AM

Recommend  (2+)

David Watts

Now, to be a bit more serious than with my previous songs and questions, I ask you this; the younger ones, we are always telling them do something worthwhile. But they always seem to shrug their shoulders and say, we do do things, can't you tell?

Flowers On The Wall by Statler Brothers Flowers On The Wall by Statler Brothers in 1969 ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -------------------- I been hearing you're concerned about my ...
(Image by YouTube, Channel: Astronomer Bilal)
Details DMCA