Power of Story
Refresh

Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 1 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend (1 Shares)

Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites (# of views)   7 comments

A Critique of the Left and Latin America

By   Follow Me on Twitter     Message Carol R Campbell     Permalink
      (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 4   Valuable 3   Well Said 1

opednews.com Headlined to H2 8/1/17

From flickr.com: Simon Bolivar {MID-147596}
Simon Bolivar
(Image by laloking97)
  Permission   Details   DMCA

The Left and Venezuela was written by Caudio Katz, and appears on ICH. I didn't post it as a Quick-Link, because it is not easy reading at all, and is very long. In fact, after reading it, I cut and pasted it - including all the notes, and e-mailed it to myself. That way I cculd take the time to understand the many inferences and nuances the Author makes about the "Left" in South America and elsewhere.

After I sliced and diced this, I marked up the copy I printed. It doesn't actually discuss 'what' the Left consists of today, but the Author is very clear on one point, it does not include the Social Democrats. He says Social Democrats [My definition: Sweden, Norway, The 'Sandernistas'], are neither Socialists nor Leftists. In his opinion they are Capitalists with a veneer - mostly of linguistics, not firm principles or economic philosophy... I do agree with that, altho many people think they are much better than nothing.

That said, the article makes a clear distinction between the supporters of The Bolivarian Revolution, and the Opposition. It is a distinction I also agree with wholeheartedly.

Maduro is far from perfect. He has made far too many concessions to the Oligarchy. Yet, Maduro refuses to give up or quit. I'd imagine that after being chosen by Hugo Chavez as his Heir, Maduro cannot quit, or surrender, and continue to live with himself. Chavez may have seen more in this man than is apparent to many of us, but in one important thing he was 100% right: Maduro is NOT a Quitter!

Given the result of the Election for the Constituent Assembly, there is no question that the Bolivarian Revolution has the support of the People of Venezuela, if not the Oligarchy.

A couple of other points the Article makes: If the Opposition 'wins' in Venezuela it will end the Bolivarian Revolution, at least for now. Simon Bolivar died some 200 years ago and still his Revolution continues today. I doubt if it ends as a result of yet another loss, at least not while the Ideal remains in the hearts and minds of the people. But with the multitude of disasters on the horizon, that may be a 'distinction without a difference'.

According to Claudio Katz, if the masses turn out for this effort and make it their own, it may ignite the fires of Radical Socialism and Nationalism, an irrepressible opponent to the forces of Fascism!

When I watched some of the Videos of the turnout it truly was heartening. One of the earliest Voters got there around 4:00 a.m. to cast her Ballot. After waiting patiently for hours to do so, she was interviewed by TeleSur. Turns out this Chavista is 101 Years Old!

That kind of dedication and support may make the difference in the very unequal fight between the Empire of Greed, and the Believers in Chavez and the Bolivarian Revolution. Let's hope and pray that it does!

Must Read 4   Valuable 3   Well Said 1

Political Activist, writer and commentator. I have eclectic interests, and am a retired Mechanical Designer. I live in Hawaii, and am far to the left of current the political mainstream.

/* The Petition Site */

Interesting News from Tulsi Gabbard

A Critique of the Left and Latin America

We/re ALL Responsible for Ukraine

Tulsi Gabbard - A Real Progressive!

Comments

Carol R Campbell

(Member since May 4, 2012), 9 fans, 4 articles, 24 quicklinks, 465 comments

I have been spending so much time with this, I am not sure what I can add. OTOH, I've spent most of my life fighting for these Ideals, who knows if a few more words might make a difference?

"Not I!" she cried. And continued nagging and harassing Friends, Family, and total Strangers.

Even my dogs are named for Eco-Terrorists and Radical Feminists, or Union Organizers and Commies. This is not a passing fancy or casual interest. My ex-Husband who voted for Goldwater, threw a jar of Caviar at me for not Voting as he wanted. I had to pack up the kids and escape to family who agreed with me.

Yet another reason that marriage didn't last...

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:01:53 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (8+)

Brenda Schouten-Beckett

(Member since Sep 11, 2016), 4 fans, 494 comments

Reply to Carol R Campbell:   New Content
Every thing I read from you or about you makes me respect you more. What a joy it is to me to have access to your writing, Carol.

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2017 at 2:12:04 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (7+)

David William Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

(Member since Nov 29, 2014), 37 fans, 44 articles, 211 quicklinks, 2385 comments, 1 diaries

I have been watching and writing about the US regime change project and I am quite disturbed about it. This is a terrible challenge for the poor people of Venezuela, as it is all about the rich clawing back social reform and progress. They want the oil revenues to steal, Big Oil wants to take a bigger slice, and Giant Corporations want neoliberal policies so that they can exploit the resources, consolidate land holding, drive farmers into the cities, and have a source of cheap slave labor.

It is also a tragedy for South America* as the US has quietly made a pivot to South America*, knocking off one left government after another. Trump should take a trip down there the way Nixon did and feel the anger from the people.

And as Carol asks, where is the left, progressives, liberals, or whatever they call themselves these days? AWOL. Complacent, compliant, consensual, co-opted, co-conspiratorial? Certainly not concerned or caring.

I guess the public is OK in a neoliberal world. They don't mind that people are being exploited, dehumanized and suffering all over the world. As long as they do not have to see it. They like their #19 USA, 19th in human development and every other category of "the general welfare" of the nation, even unbelievably the internet #19; except military might, waste, fraud, pork, and death the USA is #1.

There is one simple reason that we do not have single payer healthcare---the people are not in the streets. You don't see such a low level of apathy in anywhere else.

It is all going to get clawed back along with hated welfare: public education, affordable housing, Social Security, Medicare, Consumer Safety, and the little remaining of the Bill of Rights.

*I recently stopped using the name "Latin America" and now just call everything south of Texas "South America". The name "Latin American" smacks of European colonialism. That was a suggestion made to me by Ramani and I think he has a good point.

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2017 at 12:30:17 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (8+)

Daniel Geery

(Member since Jul 9, 2009), 72 fans, 132 articles, 3064 quicklinks, 12538 comments, 179 diaries

Thank you Carol for posting this and the work you put into it. I've been reading what I can and find it extremely difficult to get to the bottom of things, particulary here, other than to know that the US has its greedy, unholy hands in there, doing their worst.

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2017 at 1:58:22 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Carol R Campbell

(Member since May 4, 2012), 9 fans, 4 articles, 24 quicklinks, 465 comments

Thanks for the support for this issue - even tho my article is pretty lightweight considering the seriousness of this issue. Just chalk it up for rushing to simplify - quite often a mistake. OTOH, my intention was to keep this issue in the spotlight so we don't all drift off to other serious problems on our agendas.

Here is a great quote from Maduro concerning the Sanctions Trump has imposed:

"Why are they sanctioning me? Because I called democratic elections so that people can freely vote for the National Constituent Assembly," he said. "I feel proud to be sanctioned Mr Imperialist Donald Trump."

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:54:41 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

David William Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

Reply to Carol R Campbell:   New Content

Thank you Carol for the good work. You are standing up against the lies. They are so outrageous I am spitting nails. I hate injustice. The US has gone over the kookoo nest. They are showing just how much contempt they have for the intelligence of the American people. When are we going to stop letting them and the Fake News get away with it?

Submitted on Wednesday, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:53:52 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Kenneth Johnson

(Member since Jun 24, 2014), 14 fans, 9 articles, 7 quicklinks, 1466 comments

Reply to David William Pear:   New Content

Butch Cassidy : How many are following us?

Sundance Kid : All of 'em.

Butch Cassidy : All of 'em? What's the matter with those guys?

Submitted on Wednesday, Aug 2, 2017 at 3:49:37 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment