1. Mencken quote: Think Exist.com
2. The American Council on Education. www.acenet.edu.
3. This alphabetized list of sources about the condition of American education and its "pupils" hardly scratches the surface but includes a few that have been informative for me: Gatto, JT. The Underground History of American Education: A Schoolteacher's Intimate Investigation into the Problem of Modern Schooling. NY: The Oxford Village Press Oxford, 2000; Hedges, C. The Perversion of Scholarship. Truthdig.com,July 30, 2012; Kohn, A. The 500-Pound Gorilla: The Corporate Role in the High-stakes Testing Obsession & Other Methods of Turning Education into a Business. Phi Delta Kappan, October, 2002; Lendman, S. A Nation of Morons. OpEdNews, April 26, 2012; Livergood, ND. The Destruction of American Education And What We Must Do About It. OpEdNews, August 31, 2012; McGettigan, T. A Bungling Fox in the Henhouse: The Corporatization of Higher Education. OpEdNews, December 7, 2011; Payne, M. Corporatism's Plan for the Dumbing Down of America. OpEdNews, May 17, 2012; Wolchover, N. People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say. Live Science, February 28, 2012; Pierce, CP. Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free. NY: Doubleday, 2009; Simon, S. U.S. Spends Big on Education, but Results Lag Many Nations: OECD. Reuters, June24, 2013;and Washburn, J. University, Inc.: The Corporate Corruption of American Higher Education. Basic Books, 2005.
4. Anderson, N. Teaching the Civil War, 150 years later. The Washington Post, April 10, 2011.
5. Bigelow, B. Camouflaging the Vietnam War: How Textbooks Continue to Keep the Pentagon Papers a Secret. HuffPostPolitics, June 21, 2013.
6. See, e.g., Hathaway, W.T. From Cheerleader to Enemy of the State. Dissident Voice, February 18, 2013; and Zimmerman, J. What's Not Being Taught about the Iraq War. Salon, March, 2013.
7. Zimmerman, J. Ibid..
8. Wikipedia. Pledge of Allegiance.
9. Mead, C. Military Recruiters Have Gone Too Far: The Pentagon is Using Video Games to Infiltrate Middle Schools. Time.com, September, 17, 2013.
10. Kroll, A. The Duncan Doctrine: The Military-Corporate Legacy of the New Secretary of Education. TomDispatch.com, January 18, 2009.
11. Swanson, D. Teach the Children War. OpEdNews,com, March 20, 2013.
12. Raftery, I. Anticipating Domestic Boom, Colleges Rev up Drone Piloting Programs. NBC News, January 29, 2013.
13. Raftery, I. Ibid.