To date, it has not, despite the growing corus demanding a full review of the conduct of Bush-appointed US Attorneys in Alabama, and federal judge Mark Fuller, among others. Documented DoJ witness tampering and jury tampering are only two of the many problems swirling around the case. And yet, the Obama administration turned, and continues to turn, a blind eye to the obvious: that Democratic politicians have been politically and falsely persecuted by Bush administration appointees in the Department of Justice. And more, that these operations were overseen by the White House political arm, aka Karl Rove.
But things have only grown more amazing still. Holder then "dropped" the case against GOP operatives convicted in a 2002 New Hampshire election rigging scheme, a scheme that then helped John Sununu squeek by his Democratic opponent. Those GOP operatives were defended by a law firm that shall be named. It was Eric Holder's former employer.
As a point, or several points, of information, and out of curiosity, I followed up Dana Jill Simpson's article about Holder's ties to the RNC via Covington & Burling LLC, the Attorney General's employer during the grim yet profitable years of the Bush administration. And C&B indeed profited from the Bush adminstration, defending various members in a variety of tribulations, as you will see below. Holder reportedly received some $2 million in compensation from C&B during his tenure, which coincided with a number of high-profile cases involving the Bush administration.
Check out the litany of litigation that C&B has been involved in, mostly on the RNC side. Remember, these are the company's own proud claims.
Can the Dems really be this clueless? I doubt it. So what else is going on? Are the political faces of the parties really just a facade providing a virtual political space when, in fact, the Republicans and the Democrats are just part of the same machine? It often looks exactly like that.
From "Congressional Investigations,"
1) We represented the Republican National Committee in connection with investigations by the House Judiciary Committee and House Oversight andGovernment Reform Committees regarding US attorney firings and the hosting of e-mail accounts for White House officials.
2) We defended a former NASA official and a former White House official in investigations by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and the House Judiciary Committee regarding alleged political interference with the work of government environmental scientists.
From "Election & Political Law"
3) We represented the Republican National Committee in a high-profile election-related civil litigation in New Hampshire concerning alleged phone-jamming on election day. The firm has served as election law counsel to the RNC for many years, handling a range of litigation and advisory matters. The Firm has also been counsel on election law matters to the National Republican Congressional Committee.
From "FEC Enforcement"
4) We represented the Louisiana Republican Party in a long-running FEC investigation of alleged "coordinated expenditures"
5) We obtained outright dismissal of FEC complaints filed against Friends of Giuliani Exploratory Committee.
Friends & Family
6) Representation of an executive of KBR, Halliburton's subsidiary, in a wide-ranging investigation into alleged bribery of Nigerian government officials in connection with the selection of the company to build one of the world's largest liquefied natural gas projects.