Whether it’s Socialist/quasi-Democrat Dennis Kucinich, or Code Pink, A.N.S.W.E.R., or any of the hundreds of leftist groups opposing the Iraq War, the fact is, they are all hopelessly lost. Why, because the war in Iraq is politically over (or at the very least ending). Now, the race is on to claim political victory while distracting opponents from pointing out failures, shortcomings, and straight-up harmful rhetoric from the past.
All of these people and groups who are still out there demanding a withdrawal from Iraq are like a six pack about to lose its little plastic thingy, and each of the six cans is going to pull it apart before the 2008 election.
1) Democratic Presidential candidates want the issue (the plastic thingy that binds their base) off the table as soon as possible
2) Democratic Congressional candidates want the issue off the table in the next 12 months
3) Troop withdrawals are already scheduled with more likely (so...why demand it?)
4) Violence is on the decline in Iraq with civilian and military deaths on a downward trend thanks to the surge in troops and the addition of General Petraeus
5) The Congress and the President are legislatively dead-locked
6) As we look at the timeline of things already scheduled, trends, and “most likely” scenarios, the edge of the map (the 2008 election) has a sign that says, “Here there be monsters.”