(Article changed on November 13, 2012 at 07:34)
Yesterday I sat glued to the television and the internet. It seemed like every hour in the day brought a new factoid about the CIA director's misdoings and misdeeds. Not only was it about him, but a whole cast of character that seemed to be shot right out of a TV sitcom soon followed. Let me beak this down for you. Believe me; it's complicated and more than a little bit odd.
1. CIA Director Former 4 Star General (USA) Ret. David Petraeus suddenly resigns after he publically admits to an extra-marital affair.
2. It's found that Paula Broadwell, his biographer has been the CIA Directors love-interest.
3. It appears that the scandal was uncovered by the FBI in relation to a series of e-mails between an anonymous sender, directed towards a military liaison volunteer representative from the Tampa Bay area near MacDill AFB Florida. The woman, Jill Kelley, had gone to a friend that worked in the local FBI field office and told him that she found the letters "threatening".
4. It seems, and it gets a little fuzzy here, that he took the complaint to a cyber-squad within the FBI to investigate. But still stayed "close" to the case.
5. When the FBI cyber section investigates, they find that the "threatening" e-mails came from Paula Broadwell.
6. Paula Broadwell is seen in a speech to the University at Denver, to claim that "enemy combatants" were being held at the CIA Annex at the Benghazi Embassy, and that the CIA had requested "Delta Force" back-up which didn't happen, The Embassy was stormed and the Ambassador and three other CIA Security people were killed.
7. This was reported on by FOX News.
8. The FBI admitted that the original FBI Agent that had filed the case for Mrs. Kelley, had sent shirtless photos of himself to Jill Kelley.
9. On the NBC's Andrea Mitchell show, Senate Intelligence Chair, Senator Diane Feinstein, remarked to Mitchell that she Only learned of the Petraeus affair on November 9th, the day after the President found out and the day Petraeus resigned. No notification whatsoever was given to the Senate Intelligence Chairperson or the House Intelligence Chairman. These are the very people who serve as the Congressional oversight of the Intelligence community. Senator Feinstein remarked that the entire situation "was like peeling layers off an onion".
10. The FBI last night brought a team to Paula Broadwell's home in Charlotte, North Carolina and searched her home. They came out with 10 boxes of material and two computers.
11. Now, this morning we learn that Gen. John Allen, the top American commander in Afghanistan, was under investigation for having sent x-rated e-mails to Jill Kelly, the volunteer liaison person for the Tampa-McDill Area, and the same person that originally went to the FBI that launched this entire investigation. General Allen was in line to become Supreme Allied Commander Europe. He is now being allowed to remain in his position as the Commander of Forces in Afghanistan pending investigation according to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. The FBI found from 20,000 to 30,000 pages of communications between Jill Kelley and General Allen.
This is where we are now. What is really going on here? Are we getting the "real" story? What's behind two Four-Star Generals, one a former Four-Star, and one a Commander in Afghanistan, being under investigation? To me, this sounds like a purge. How many more secrets and how many more liaisons' will be discovered and who will go next? Were there any indications that the military was planning some kind of "coup"? Is the Government rearranging the military to suit its needs?