Share on Facebook 6 Share on Twitter 1 Printer Friendly Page More Sharing

By       (Page 1 of 3 pages)     (# of views)   6 comments
Follow Me on Twitter     Message Allan Wayne
Black and White Devil
Black and White Devil
(Image by Wiki Commons)
  Details   DMCA

Being a white devil, and shouldering the sins of historical injustice, seems a daunting burden to bear. At least at first. But then I got to thinking; doesn't the white god forgive if one confesses? There I go again; I really am a devil. The ramparts of my racism form an impenetrable fence.

Nevertheless, I decided to take a stroll in Portland's Rose Garden and meditate in the pristine Oregon air. A bronze statue of the Shoshone native, Sacagawea, gestured from the hill. Perhaps I could breathe in a fresh infusion of racial perspective. I found a bench with a view of Mt. Hood and the streets below where I had marched with the Occupy movement, a strike for generic injustice, if you will. Not specifically for black people, the ones who suffer the most.

Selling one's soul, as the devil encourages, guarantees rewards of earthly treasure. How had I failed? I was barely a step up from a double-wide. The dividends of my white devilry were not forthcoming. I took a sip of brandy.

"What's wrong?" I cried. "I am the White Devil, aren't I!"

"What did you say?"-a voice spoke.

I turned; a man appeared beside me on the bench; he had a chess board under his arm. He was of average height; about 45 years of age; lean and of a civil look, with pock marks on his cheeks; and wore a casual vest, nothing fancy, unbuttoned in front. Yes, he was black; darker than most; I didn't want to say it; black that is. It would be the first step of my white devil profiling. I suppose I had seen him approach and did not want to turn. He could be a threat or something. I suppose I could have said hello.

"We enslaved your people!"...I came to the point..."My ancestors did, that is! Although my forefathers didn't arrive until after the Civil War. Nevertheless, by proxy, I am guilty. I accept the mantle! I am the White Devil!" My chest swelled a little with titular responsibility. I would wear my handle proudly. After all, what would the devil do?

"You ain't sh*t," he said, and quietly arranged the chess pieces.

"What?" I noticed the white players were on my side.

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

Well Said 1   Supported 1   Valuable 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Allan Wayne Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Conceived on west coast,born on east coast,returned to northwest spawning grounds. Never far from water. Degree in biology, minor: socio/psychology. Nature-oriented. Building trades,marine carpentry, Army Veteran, ex-social worker, ex-tavern (more...)

Follow Me on Twitter     Writers Guidelines

Missing Man of Change Your Evil Ways, Baby

Desert Chic?--or Death in the Dunes? Obama Walks a Fine Line.

A Stroll Along the Russian-Chinese-North Korean Border

Tribal Girls on Pak-Afghan Border

OCCUPY D.C.1932. The Bonus Army. 17,000 Veterans. 26,000 Others. 500 Infantry. 4 dead, 1,017 injured. 69 Police Injured.

Hatching Charlie: A Psychotherapist's Tale

Comments Image Post Article Comment and Rate This Article

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms.

• OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.
  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.
  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.

Comment Here:

You can enter 2000 characters. To remove limit, please click here.
Please login or register. Afterwards, your comment will be published.

Username
Password

Forgot your password? Click here and we will send an email to the address you used when you registered.
First Name
Last Name

I am at least 16 years of age
(make sure username & password are filled in. Note that username must be an email address.)

3 people are discussing this page, with 6 comments  Post Comment

David William Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

(Member since Nov 29, 2014), 48 fans, 78 articles, 353 quicklinks, 3636 comments
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Hmmm, I wonder where this is going. I hesitate to comment until the storyline is revealed. But I cannot resist-----

In order for colonial and exploitative enterprises to be successful they always relied on native collaborators. Does anyone think the British could have colonized India without local collaboration?

The US imperialist model is so successful today because it does not overtly occupy and administer its colonies. Instead it depends on corruption, collaboration, local co-conspirators, and a hidden hand in the native military and security forces.

The US has also used its domination of world financial institution s to used finance and debt to colonize countries. Corrupt native collaborators get their nation to borrow from the IMF, the collaborators steal the money, and then it is the people who are trapped in wage slavery for decades and centuries.

e.g. The new right-wing government of Ecuador just took out a $5 billion IMF loan that the country did not need---naturally it also coincided with Ecuador turning over Julian Assange to UK/US.

Submitted on Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 3:19:39 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Allan Wayne

(Member since Sep 9, 2008), 8 fans, 89 articles, 18 quicklinks, 1190 comments, 105 diaries
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David William Pear:   New Content

Corrupt native collaborators? In my White Devil Business Model, that is a little too wordy. Keep it simple. We're in the same business: making Benjamins. And I am not going to share responsibility with some Black Devil. He wants to put us on equal footing, maybe usurp my devilry, steal my deserved riches. That will not happen. Besides, I already hid most of the halos. Sent them sailing like frizbees into a dark hole. I will not tell which one. Later, you may be able to guess.

Submitted on Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 7:15:12 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 12 fans, 1897 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David William Pear:   New Content

Likely that Moreno is not above US military access on the Galapegos, as well. The $'s probably ok, and who cares about one of the most bio-diverse places on Earth? Surveillance is the name of this game.

Submitted on Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 7:44:39 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Allan Wayne

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

For a second, I thought you meant Maduro of Venezuela. Hard to believe that the Spaniards there imported (via you-know-who) 500,000 African slaves (same as USA) to mine gold, and work in the chocolate and sugar cane fields. And whether the Black Devil wants to dicker, Spaniards are white, and more my charge than his. Don't listen to him; he lies.

Submitted on Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:33:17 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndent

David William Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Allan Wayne:   New Content

Devil, get your facts straight. The Spanish imported 3 times more Africans than the US. But the US had a thriving slave breeding business model, thanks in large part to Thomas Jefferson. Look up the significance of 1808 in the Constitution, negotiate as a compromise with SC to get it to join the union. Now look up the law of 1807 proposed by Potus TJ, and signed into law by him. Ol' Virginee and TJ were slave breeders. SC was a slave importer. Get it?

By 1860's most US slaves were born in the US. They cut out the middleman you are talking about.

P.S. I may be slow but I am still not sure if you are playing devil's advocate, or actually making the argument that relieves whites of much of the guilt? If the later, then it doesn't work.

Submitted on Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 9:50:18 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Allan Wayne

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David William Pear:   New Content

Yes, indeed, Citizen Pear. Relieve White guilt? Hell, no! It's all on Me, and me alone, like I said. What don't you understand about White Devilry? The Spaniards (white people down below) were pretty good at breeding themselves, but slaves did not fare as well down there. Slaves were treated worse, not housed in family units, etc, like in the U.S. South American sugar cane is not a healthy sustenance; in short, the U.S. Black Devil restocking product died out. In his (and some African Kings') view, colonists treated slaves too nice, and ruined the profitable replenishment program. Yeah, leave it to the yanks to rebel against the establishment. Sh*t!--I'm getting a telepathic lazer message from the Black Devil. I can't tell you how that messes with my drywall ceiling. I'll let you what He says in MY next article.

Submitted on Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 1:15:06 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment