Power of Story Send a Tweet

Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon 1 Tell A Friend (1 Shares)

Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites (# of views)   33 comments
Life Arts

Attached to My '72 Comet

By       Message Suzana Megles       (Page 1 of 1 pages)     Permalink

Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags  Add to My Group(s)

Touching 5   Valuable 5   Must Read 3

From flickr.com: 1972 Mercury Comet {MID-286663}
1972 Mercury Comet
(Image by StephenCanuck)
  Permission   Details   DMCA

I guess everyone at some time or other has felt an attachment to their first car. Since I have only had one car all this time, you can well imagine that I am having detachment anxieties thinking about selling it. And yes, I should be more worried about finding a buyer and not worrying about parting with it. So far, I have had two unsolicited offers. And per the internet, there seems to be a market for '72 Comets. Now the only problem remains--can I finally let her go? And the answer is--yes, I must, and I will have to.

Since I've had this car at the same time that I had my beloved dog, Peaches, this probably accounts for yet another emotional attachment with this car. But, at 87, I am beginning to feel my mortality. I have to start down-sizing everything. Books and magazines need to find new readers. Loads of saved articles will probably have to be placed in our blue recycling cart. It sounds good so far, and I'm sure that I and my house will feel a whole lot lighter once accomplished.

But first things first. Selling my Comet is the primary concern now. With the onset of glaucoma, I stopped driving a few years ago. One day I was pulling out of my garage, and though I may have had sun glasses on, I felt blinded by the sun's rays. Frightened, I immediately pulled back into the garage. Yes, sadly, one of life's defining moments when even I realized that driving would no longer be an option for me.

You can well imagine that this realization was upsetting. I would be needing help with my grocery shopping, buying food and litter for the cats and bird seed for the birds.

Someone would have to drive me to doctor visits, to the bank--but worst of all--I would have to part with my Mercury Comet. God is good. Whenever I needed a ride, I found friends to take me where I needed to go.

As for the Comet--someone has shown interest in it and offered $800. Is this a good price? Haven't a clue, so I went on the internet. One Comet seller asked for $1,000. Another asked for $2500. Of course--each gave a description of the car to explain the selling price. So, how much should I ask for mine? What condition is it in? What's the mileage? Will have to check the speedometer since I haven't checked it in a long time, but I am fairly certain that the mileage is pretty low for a 45-year-old car.

Well, here's hoping that things work out. I guess the biggest hurdle is over and that it's time deciding to part with an old friend.

Touching 5   Valuable 5   Must Read 3

I have been concerned about animal suffering ever since
I received my first puppy Peaches in 1975. She made me take a good look at the animal kingdom and I was shocked to see how badly we treat so many animals. At 77, I've been a vegan for the (more...)

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon Share Author on Social Media   Go To Commenting

Horse Racing Cruelty

Vote NO on Issue 2 if You Llive in Ohio

Leo Grillo/Delta Rescue

Can Veganism Save the World?

Comments

Ron Nilson

(Member since Aug 21, 2011), 9 fans, 46 articles, 2 quicklinks, 229 comments, 1 diaries

Sending positive energy to manifest the best possible outcome for Suzana - and her beloved Comet.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 1:20:52 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Reply to Ron Nilson:   New Content

Thank you Ron. In the scheme of things- this may not mean much to most people, but it does to me. God bless.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 1:58:17 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 986 comments

Suzana,
I'm sending positive energy to you along with Mr. Nilson's.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 1:41:09 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Both you and Ron are caring, sensitive people. God bless you both. May your days be happy, loving, and blest. I think they have been and will continue to be so.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:02:23 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (5+)

Doc McCoy

(Member since Oct 2, 2008), 9 fans, 37 articles, 1 quicklinks, 4890 comments, 4 diaries

If the car has been sitting for several years, even if garaged, the value drops significantly. Look for a car collector group for guidance. After sitting for several years it surely will need help getting started. That can be costly. A running car has a higher value than one that isn't running.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:46:33 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Reply to Doc McCoy:   New Content

Thank you Doc for the good advice. I went out today to the car and turned the key in the ignition and vola - she started. How I would love to take her out for a spin, but at my age- while some 87 year-olds may still have it- I doubt I am one of them. I just hope I can find some one to buy her who will love and respect her as I Have. Yes, I think anyone who has owned a car for 45 years would have the same attachment problems as I have. However-who knows? I even thought of donating it to one of my animal charities, but I seriously doubt that most would find the car useful. I could use some prayers in this regard. I support the Cleveland APL, Farm Sanctuary, HSUS, Animal Legal Defense, In Defense of Animals ,and Mercy for Animals and a couple of others which elude me now. Maybe one of them would be interested in a 1976 Comet. Nah, I don't think so.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 6:31:27 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 9 fans, 8 articles, 18 quicklinks, 902 comments, 25 diaries

Suzana, would it be possible to keep your Comet and keep her parked in your garage? If you could, you would not have to let go of a good friend. Every time you went to the garage she would be there to say hello to...

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 6:38:33 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (4+)

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Thanks David - I chuckled when I read your comment. I've been doing just that for several years now, but I think at 87 - I will have to start doing some serious unloading which includes a lot of printed materials and books. I don't want to leave my house a burden to clean when I'm gone. Yes, I have my work cut out for me.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:04:33 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

David Watts

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

Suzana, it sounds like you have a lot of cleaning out to do. I say do it. Do not be afraid to throw a lot of stuff away. Most everyone in there life gathers things; most of which are not important. So get rid of as much as you can. Lighten your house and your surroundings. You will have more freedom to think about more important things. You will feel really good. It will be a kind of cleansing. But, your Comet is only one thing. She does not clutter your house and unless you need the room in your garage, keep your friend. She will always put a smile on your face. She will say, Suzana kept me, she did not give up on me... Peaches would want you to keep her, she was Peaches' car too...

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 12:12:20 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I did it again. I typed out "there" phonetically without thinking...

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 12:39:05 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Nelson Wight

(Member since Apr 23, 2010), 16 fans, 2499 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

You were too much intrigued by David William Pear.

Submitted on Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 5:30:56 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Nelson Wight:   New Content

Yes, I am trying to emulate David William Pear. He is a good one to copy.

Submitted on Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 2:12:16 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndent

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

David -you're too much, but I enjoyed your remarks. You got a good handle on my feelings. Time will tell, but I think we should try to get rid of worldly attachments if we can. I've had the car for a very long time. Maybe someone else can enjoy it.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 1:31:57 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

Suzana, When you put it like that, you have the right perspective on things. Yes, your long attachment to your car is really just a worldly attachment. Yes, let her go. Peaches will always be with you just as my sweetheart Molly will always be with me. I had to put her down. It was hard, but it was time...

Nice conversing with you. :)

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 8:30:28 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

(Member since Feb 2, 2008), 43 fans, 435 articles, 2229 comments, 88 diaries

Thanks for the picture - David?

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:00:37 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

Picture? Am I not remembering something?

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:10:59 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I wasn't sure if David Pear featured the picture of the car for me. He has helped with pictures before - so I should have written his last name as well.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:27:30 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

It must have been David Pear.

Is that picture that you use of Peaches?

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:37:45 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Yes, the picture is Peaches. She started my lifelong passion for animals. I have had numerous cats and 6 other dogs because of her. Of course, I also became vegetarian and later vegan because of her. As I mentioned in my profile, she even inspired me to write a homespun book called what else - "Blame it on Peaches."

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:39:04 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

She looks like a lovable sweetie pie. :) What kind of dog was Peaches?

I submitted a diary here a little bit ago. I will bet they will post it. Look out for it, I know you will like it. It is titled, "why the dog is happier."

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 11:56:58 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Peaches is part miniature collie. At lest we think so. Joe and I were helping Father Begin with his Thursday night suppers for the poor in western Cleveland years ago. One day I was invited to see Fr. Begin's and Joe's home where some rooms were being made ready for needy men. It was there one evening that Joe trotted out the most adorable tiny puppy that I had ever seen. Yes, it was Peaches and later on Joe gave her to me since he saw how smitten I was with her. I loved him for that ever since though of course, he and Peaches are no longer with us. I miss them both.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 5:40:13 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Tom Fisher

(Member since Mar 30, 2017), 3 comments

Hello ,

If it is all original and still runs you can get considerably more than $800, even though the 60's go for more. Rust is a big factor too. For an 800 price tag you might as well keep it.

Where are you located? I always dreamed of doing a restore on a classic american vehicle with my father but "work" always got in the way. Maybe its time to reorganize priorities.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:41:16 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Reply to Tom Fisher:   New Content

I live in Lakewood, Ohio - a suburb of Cleveland. You probably live in California! Just kidding.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:33:40 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Tom Fisher

(Member since Mar 30, 2017), 3 comments

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

Hehe California? Maybe some day. I'm actually from New York!

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:21:50 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Vernon Huffman

(Member since Aug 14, 2013), 5 fans, 2 articles, 238 comments

Get over it. Whatever you feel for a machine should never be confused with love.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:08:46 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 986 comments

Reply to Vernon Huffman:   New Content

That was just plain mean. Suzana is not in love with a machine; she loves her life, her dog and her memories. And since she's made clear her intention to let the car go, your 'get over it' is rude and cold.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 2:18:36 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Janet - what a kind, sensitive reply. You have a gift with words and a sensitive heart. Can't beat those attributes. God bless.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:53:02 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 986 comments

Reply to Suzana Megles:   New Content

Many blessings to you, too, Suzana.

Submitted on Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 2:26:52 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Thank you...

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 7:14:37 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

David Watts

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 6:42:25 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Thanks David. Indeed dogs are special and their needs are few!

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 8:25:53 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 986 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Beautiful!! I love it. Is it your work, David?

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 8:27:30 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

David Watts

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

It is not my work Janet. Its something I came across quite some time ago. It is cute but it actually says a lot. Quite a few people I sent it to had just about the same response. "So True!" they said.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:21:46 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Want to post your own comment on this Article? Post Comment