Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Reddit Tell A Friend Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites
Life Arts

The benefits of owning more books than you can read

Quicklink Submitted By   Follow Me on Twitter     Message Rob Kall     Permalink    (# of views)   32 comments

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags

Must Read 3   Well Said 3   Valuable 3

opednews.com Headlined to H4 10/23/18

a tiny fraction of my library
(Image by Rob Kall)
  Permission   Details   DMCA

The Japanese have a word for those piles of unread books. It’s tsundoku. While some people find tsundoku a source of constant guilt, Nassim Nicholas Taleb believes unread books improve people by always pushing them to expand their knowledge.

But it's possible this guilt is entirely misplaced. According to statistician  Taleb, these unread volumes represent what he calls an 'antilibrary,' and he believes our antilibraries aren't signs of intellectual failings. Quite the opposite, suggesting,

'Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. [Your] library should contain as much of what you do not know  as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there.'

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At bigthink.com

Must Read 3   Well Said 3   Valuable 3

Rob Kall is an award winning journalist, inventor, software architect, connector and visionary. His work and his writing have been featured in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, ABC, the HuffingtonPost, Success, Discover and other media. He's given talks and workshops to Fortune 500 execs and national medical and psychological organizations, and pioneered first-of-their-kind conferences in Positive Psychology, Brain Science and Story. He hosts some of the world's smartest, most interesting and powerful people on his Bottom Up Radio Show, and founded and publishes one of the top Google- ranked progressive news and opinion sites, OpEdNews.com

more detailed bio:

Rob Kall has spent his adult life as an awakener and empowerer-- first in the field of biofeedback, inventing products, developing software and a music recording label, MuPsych, within the company he founded in 1978-- Futurehealth, and founding, organizing and running 3 conferences: Winter Brain, on Neurofeedback and consciousness, Optimal Functioning and Positive Psychology (a pioneer in the field of Positive Psychology, first presenting workshops on it in 1985) and Storycon Summit Meeting on the Art Science and Application of Story-- each the first of their kind.  Then, when he found the process of raising people's consciousness and empowering them to take more control of their lives  one person at a time was too slow, he founded Opednews.com-- which has been the top search result on Google for the terms liberal news and progressive opinion for several years. Rob began his Bottom-up Radio show, broadcast on WNJC 1360 AM to Metro Philly, also available on iTunes, covering the transition of our culture, business and world from predominantly Top-down (hierarchical, centralized, authoritarian, patriarchal, big)  to bottom-up (egalitarian, local, interdependent, grassroots, archetypal feminine and small.) Recent long-term projects include a book, Bottom-up-- The Connection Revolution, debillionairizing the planet and the Psychopathy Defense and Optimization Project.

Rob Kall Wikipedia (more...)

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon Share Author on Social Media   Go To Commenting

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this quicklink has expired.

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 12 fans, 1367 comments

This article is one with which many of us can relate, I'm sure. My big antilibrary is a constant reminder of what I don't know. But I love it anyway. :)

And let's not forget the value of such beautiful wallpaper!!

Cheers!

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:36:32 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 10 fans, 11 articles, 21 quicklinks, 1406 comments, 27 diaries

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

I like wallpaper until I have to peel it off. Rob, thank you. Not taking credit for this as I am borrowing it from the article but, thank you for letting me know all my unread books now make me feel enriched. If you saw my library of unread books, you would get a pretty good idea how enriched I feel. I now want to buy more that I won't read.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 5:20:35 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Leslie Johnson

(Member since Dec 9, 2014), 17 fans, 12 articles, 1 quicklinks, 994 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Janet, I'll send you a picture of mine that you can add to the pictures of yours that Rob has requested you send. :) ...just sent you 3..the rest of my books are still in boxes!! xoxoxo

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:10:05 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

Thank you Janet. :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:44:55 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I screwed up that comment. I should have said thank you Leslie for letting me know you would be sending a picture to Janet. Or something like that.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:29:03 PM

Rob Kall

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

(Member since Jun 5, 2005), 303 fans, 2402 articles, 5205 quicklinks, 5929 comments, 503 diaries

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

post a pic as a comment

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:23:22 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 12 fans, 1367 comments

Reply to Rob Kall:   New Content

Rob, I would love to...family room & bedroom. Hell, even boxes in the workshop.

But, I'm a Luddite and don't own that kind of picture-taking phone. Lotsa books, few techie gadgets.

Still use Mapquest. and print out the directions to find my way out of the closet!

(Just ask Leslie!) :)

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:20:19 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Ok, I will ask Leslie. Leslie, how big and complicated is Janet's closet? I've got one that is kind of big but I can always find my way out even though the light no longer works. I just feel around until I find the doorknob.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:22:17 AM

Em Sos

(Member since Jul 23, 2017), 2 fans, 21 articles, 1 quicklinks, 218 comments

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Knowing one simple truth is ample benefit upon which to build an array of truths.

Granted, during especially trying times, a little levity goes a long way in placating frustrated souls, yet is this the road we need to be travelling at this 'forking junction'.

Does being 'liberal' mainly revolve around profligate self-indulgence?

Citing a mere couple of lines, from but one single library copy of novelist, Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, says it all to me, succinctly:

"It is we who nourish the Soul of the World, and the world we live in will be either better or worse, depending on whether we become better or worse."

If, from these couple of lines alone, our downward spiral as a country of 'humane' beings is not shockingly apparent by now, then where resides the key of hope, for a truly progressive future?

Submitted on Friday, Oct 26, 2018 at 3:59:12 PM

shad williams

(Member since Apr 13, 2011), 23 fans, 45 articles, 1 quicklinks, 2118 comments

I certainly appreciate reading that I should not feel guilty about fully unread books - And this, "[Your] library should contain as much of what you do not know as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there.'" That just cracks me up. Long live print.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 7:55:38 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

shad williams

(Member since Apr 13, 2011), 23 fans, 45 articles, 1 quicklinks, 2118 comments

Reply to shad williams:   New Content

...and this, braggadocious bibliomaniac"

Wow.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:09:48 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Rob Kall

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

Reply to shad williams:   New Content

I consider myself an on-the-wagon recovering bibliomaniac. When I can get rid of my storage unit of books I'll consider myself further cured. Hoping to do that this year. Sigh-- at least 60 maybe 100 boxes of books-- many of them leather-bound and antiquarian-- a spending habit I recovered from at least 10 years ago.

Submitted on Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:26:03 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Rob Kall:   New Content

I have quite a few unread books half of which are unread Hardy Boys that I bought just a few years ago -- I got a really good deal. That doesn't really make me feel that enriched but what makes me glad is I didn't waste my time reading them. But then again, I would probably enjoy them more than all the other downer books like Economic Hitman, Shock Doctrine, and books about the Federal Reserve and Blackwater and The End of America.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:00:42 AM

IndentIndentIndentIndent

shad williams

(Member since Apr 13, 2011), 23 fans, 45 articles, 1 quicklinks, 2118 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I think you have a pretty good collection going!

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:48:06 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to shad williams:   New Content

Thank you Shad. I also have three or four Cat in the Hat books. I'm keeping those. :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:26:14 AM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 12 fans, 1367 comments

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

That's because they're phenomenal! Right, David? :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:47:43 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Very good Janet. I hadn't thought of that. :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:59:23 PM

IndentIndentIndent

Susan Lee Schwartz

(Member since Oct 25, 2009), 21 fans, 17 articles, 3565 quicklinks, 6498 comments, 1 diaries

Reply to Rob Kall:   New Content

Let n enow what you do with them!

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:39:27 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndent

shad williams

(Member since Apr 13, 2011), 23 fans, 45 articles, 1 quicklinks, 2118 comments

Reply to Rob Kall:   New Content

Nice! Seemingly the spending has a life of its own, having sprees of varying lengths time and time again. Eventually one realizes the obsession is love especially when thoughts come unbidden about what kind of wood would be beautiful enough for the built-in bookcases your books would love to call home. It seems that you have created an artistic love whose gravity is inescapable, Rob.

I don't think recovery from that love is sustainable!

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:39:37 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Susan Lee Schwartz

I do not know what to do with all my books... and I have so many that I loved, and which informed my teaching.

I studied children's literature in college, and took courses in Greek classics, in addition to by English lit courses....and then there are all the books I read when I studied philosophy and psychology.

If I have to move into smaller quarters I have to leave my library behind, or donate it.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:38:05 AM

Cathy Lynn Pagano

(Member since Apr 11, 2006), 152 fans, 281 articles, 294 comments, 6 diaries

This is fun to read since I just got all my books out of storage and my whole apartment is full of books. I've got the best library and intend to finish reading all my books by the time I die. :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:16:15 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Cathy Lynn Pagano

(Member since Apr 11, 2006), 152 fans, 281 articles, 294 comments, 6 diaries

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:19:55 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Kevin Tully

(Member since May 15, 2010), 25 fans, 119 articles, 30 quicklinks, 1395 comments, 242 diaries