Share on Facebook 7 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Sci Tech

Covid: A Collision of Historical and Scientific Illiteracy

Quicklink Submitted By   9 comments
Become a Premium Member Would you like to know how many people have read this article? Or how reputable the author is? Simply sign up for a Advocate premium membership and you'll automatically see this data on every article. Plus a lot more, too.
Follow Me on Twitter     Message Michael Morrissey

From flickr.com: .Covid-19 is a hoax. written on the ground with a chalk
.Covid-19 is a hoax. written on the ground with a chalk
(Image by Ivan Radic)
  Details   DMCA

I am linking to this not because I agree with Kevin Ryan but because he is a respected researcher (on 9/11) and I would like to engage in an open dialogue with him and others on the points he discusses here. The last discussion I've seen here on covid was on Dec. 11, 2021, which now seems too far away to arouse any interest. Apparently there is some trouble getting posts like this past the "Google censors";  I am not sure what this means but I hope it is not a real problem.  I hate to think that Google is in position to censor what appears on this site. I will post my points of disagreement with Kevin as the first comment below.

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At digwithin.net

Must Read 1   Well Said 1   Supported 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Michael Morrissey Social Media Pages: Facebook Page       Twitter Page       Linked In Page       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Former teacher, born in the US now a German citizen. Author of "Correspondence with Vincent Salandria," "Looking for the Enemy," "The Transparent Conspiracy," et al. and most recently "Chomsky, Prouty and Me." I blog at (more...)

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this quicklink has expired.

Michael Morrissey

(Member since Mar 8, 2008), 15 fans, 40 articles, 75 quicklinks, 2538 comments, 75 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."
       -- Mark Twain (?)

Facebook Page Twitter Page Linked In Page Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Here is the comment I put on Ryan's site, to which I have not gotten any response except for "werner," who obviously did not read or understand what I wrote.

Kevin, I agree with most of what you say, but I think you don't go far enough on 9/11 and go too far on Covid. You say "there are good reasons to believe that people within government and major corporations were involved in planning and executing the attacks," assuming that individuals could somehow accomplish what only the government could possibly do, namely pull off 9/11 and the cover-up. This is a common error, and actually a delusion. Why do you not say the same about JFK? It was the government in both cases. Whether you call it the Deep State or more accurately in my opinion "The CIA and Its Allies" (cf. subtitle of Fletch Prouty's "Secret Team," it is the government. Period.

On Covid, you have joined a number of "truthers" and others I respect but cannot agree with on this. Unlike all the other conspiracies that we would no doubt agree are real, this one requires us to put our health where our beliefs (or skepticism) are. Ignore masking and distancing and vaccination, and rely on ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine (or zinc or vitamin C, etc.) to cure you if you get sick, ignore all the medical advice and information that is coming at us from all fronts, including our family doctors, and also ignore the literature that rebuts the claims made by "Covid hoaxers" (Joseph Mercola, RFK Jr, etc., and now you)? Is this really what you want people to do? Is it what you and your family are doing?

And there is another point. Have you been following the discussion about the origin of the virus or do we have to say "what people claim is a virus," since many Covid hoaxers do not believe it exists? Have you considered that all of the anti-vaccine and anti-preventive measures protests could be an intelligence operation to distract attention away from the question of origin? This is a real conspiracy, because imagine how things would be if the Covid hoaxers and protesters were focusing on the origin of the disease, which real science has already determined was almost certainly the joint Chinese-American gain-of-function research at Wuhan. It should be screamingly obvious that neither government is ever going to admit being responsible for the pandemic and will do anything and everything possible to avoid doing so and try to prevent discussion of the issue.

That is the real parallel with 9/11 and JFK (etc.). Just imagine thousands (millions?) of people all over the world demanding an end to the "research" that produced this pandemic (and probably others). Having a mixed bag of QAnoners and right-wingers plus left-wingers clamoring about a "Covid hoax" would be far more acceptable to the powers-that-be, with the added benefit that this particular conspiracy theory is crazy enough, and the protesters (many or most of them anyway) are crazy enough, to make all other conspiracy theories (like 9/11 and JFK) seem equally crazy and dismissable.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I am hoping for a thoughtful reply, and not just a brush-off. It is not easy to talk about this in a reasonable way, but perhaps we can do it.
Michael Morrissey
(I have a recent piece that may be of interest here: Click Here.)

Submitted on Sunday, Jan 2, 2022 at 3:20:47 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Nelson Wight

(Member since Apr 23, 2010), 19 fans, 3085 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

michael, i am definitely in full agreement with what you are saying. typing with only my left middle finger is so difficult, since

i was extremely righthanded before this year(2021)'s strokes;

normalcy ? is so slow a return. stand as you do this coming year.

i feel you have the bull by his horns. prosit!

Submitted on Sunday, Jan 2, 2022 at 7:07:08 AM

Recommend  (2+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Michael Morrissey

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."
       -- Mark Twain (?)

Reply to Nelson Wight:   New Content

Always good to hear from you, Nels. You are a paragon of persistence. I wish you all the best for 2022.

Submitted on Sunday, Jan 2, 2022 at 7:18:21 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Nelson Wight

danke, mein gut freund, michael.

Submitted on Sunday, Jan 2, 2022 at 8:42:54 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Robert Adler

(Member since Jun 11, 2013), 2 fans, 28 articles, 1 quicklinks, 447 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linked In Page Instagram Page

This is a well written opinion piece, and the author is welcome to his opinions. He clearly has a long-standing and well-thought- out view that pretty much anything of significance that has happened in the last 20 years has been the result of one or another high-level conspiracy. Like many OpEdNews commenters, who I'm sure will be delighted by the essay, he seamlessly folds the Covid-19 pandemic and the vaccines that have been developed to address it into that narrative.

I'd invite readers to try to separate facts from narrative and opinion. It's worth noting that the author makes just two testable claims specifically about Covid--that the PCR tests did not identify a unique coronavirus and have a high false positive rate, and that Covid has a 99.7% survival rate for the elderly and higher for everyone else. It's worth following the links he provides and determining for yourself if they are reliable sources that are providing accurate information on these important claims.

For those who want to check the validity of those two claims independently, here are two links, one concerning the specificity and false-positive rate of the PCR test, the other concerning the case fatality rate from Covid-19 infections.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not so much to our own facts.

Submitted on Sunday, Jan 2, 2022 at 9:48:03 AM

Recommend  (1+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Fred W

(Member since Oct 30, 2007), 5 fans, 1 quicklinks, 852 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Robert Adler:   New Content

"...Covid has a 99.7% survival rate for the elderly and higher for everyone else."

It looks like Ryan may have gotten that from his linked page, about 3/4 way down, where there is a chart comparing deaths from Covid to deaths from previous flu epidemics, entitled "U.S. Mortality by Age in Pandemic Years (1892-2020)". If you look at the (red colored) line for Covid for age 75, you'll see that it corresponds to about 300 per 100,000 population, which would equal at 99.7% survival for that age. Calling that a "survival rate" seems, however, to be a somewhat unusual use of the term, because it measures survival for everyone that age, whether or not they were infected with Covid, rather than what I think is the usual meaning, the survival rate among those infected. Also, it only tracks up to the end of 2020.

But I think it's worth considering whether too much was made of an illness that killed 0.035% of the worldwide population with a subset of 0.24% of the U.S. population, also keeping in mind that some of the deaths are the result of the "remedies". The levels of concern and control have been certainly more than anything we experienced in the past, and we can debate whether it shows just an enhanced modern "nanny statism" or something more sinister, which is what Ryan suggests, an opinion with which I agree.

Submitted on Tuesday, Jan 4, 2022 at 3:23:26 PM

Recommend  (2+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Chuck Nafziger

(Member since Oct 12, 2008), 18 fans, 9 articles, 17 quicklinks, 2794 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

The scientific ignorance of the average TV sucker is appalling. Mainstream Science is dead. It was murdered for profit and control. However, Mr. Ryan strikes true from what my research has revealed. I too would quibble about 99.7 % survival of the elders, but I am a healthy elder and have no fear of this flu or cold. I would prefer to get it. Two years, no mask, no distancing, no vaxx, just good food, lots of exercise and as many hugs as I can get; if it is as contagious as the tales tell, I must have gotten it already asymptomatically. I was not anti vaccine going into this, but now that I understand the sinister, unhealthy fraud being perpetrated, I am anti Big Pharma all the way. Not even any more prescription drugs for me. I've learned too much to trust them.

Submitted on Friday, Jan 7, 2022 at 1:37:34 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Michael Morrissey

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."
       -- Mark Twain (?)

Reply to Chuck Nafziger:   New Content

I am determined not to play devil's advocate here because I cannot add to what I've already said above (and to which Ryan by the way has not replied). But Chuck, you might consider that living in a rural area (per your profile) makes you less vulnerable. Anecdotal evidence goes both ways. I just heard from a 93-year-old in Berlin who got two vaccinations (not the booster) and got covid, spent a week in intensive care and two more weeks in the hospital, and is now recuperating at home with an oxygen inhalator. Ok, he survived, but what about "long covid" -- not so relevant in his case but relevant for younger people. And that tells us nothing about the "survival rate," which as Robert and Fred have said, is not as clear as Ryan claims. It also depends on the identification of the disease and its cause. Ryan seems to agree with those who claim the virus has never been identified and may not even exist, that it is in any case not identifiable by PCR or blood tests, that the vaccines are dangerous, even more dangerous than the disease (whatever it is, from their point of view), and that ivermectine et al. are effective treatments (for what, exactly, if there is no disease and no virus other than a "normal" flu or cold?). There are plenty of articles and studies I could cite claiming the exact opposite of everything Ryan says about covid (and I am not addressing anything else he said except 9/11 -- see above) but I am not even going to try because I am not a virologist or epidemiologist etc. I cannot evaluate these contradictory "scientific" arguments. I can only repeat what I said above. I happen to have a much more "radical" theory of the 9/11 conspiracy than Ryan, but I would not risk my health or my life for it, and I am certainly not willing to do so based on what Kevin Ryan or Robert Kennedy Jr. or anyone else says about covid as long as the overwhelming majority of medical doctors say the opposite.

Note that there are still ZERO responses to my comment (same as above) on Ryan's site (except the one by "werner" that completely missed the point). Why isn't Ryan worried about the origin of the virus? Is it because he doesn't think it exists, or is not the cause of the pandemic, or is not nearly as dangerous as claimed, or that (therefore) there in fact is no pandemic? There are plenty of articles at US Right to Know that should convince him otherwise. But he doesn't seem interested in the origin at all -- which makes sense if he doesn't believe there is any (dangerous) virus at all and no pandemic! This is absurd!

Submitted on Friday, Jan 7, 2022 at 4:12:56 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Chuck Nafziger

Reply to Michael Morrissey:   New Content

You say, "...I am not even going to try because I am not a virologist or epidemiologist etc. I cannot evaluate these contradictory "scientific" arguments."

I am not either, but I have a science background and I know how to read and interpret information written in English. From that standpoint, it is time consuming, but not difficult, to sift the truth from the barrage of garbage.

I am not overly concerned about the probable lab origin of this flu. If that is the best they can do, there is not much to worry about. Even if Big Pharma comes up with a real killer, I would not trust any solutions that those same murderers come up with. I am confident in my health. I have become much healthier since I left Big Pharma and went good diet, exercise and herbal. I am not about to join in what is called a medical experiment, but has been introduced in such a coercive, sinister way, that I doubt this cull is much of an experiment. They, the oligarchs behind Big Pharma, know what the results will be. Thousands of doctors and researcher all over the world have called bullshi#, and have documented lots of lasting vaxx harms, no lasting good. Why are their voices being censored? This ain't rocket science: common sense goes a long way once the TV is turned off.

Submitted on Friday, Jan 7, 2022 at 2:31:43 PM