Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 28 (28 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   41 comments

You Get What you Vote For!

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; , Add Tags  (less...) Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 10   Well Said 7   Interesting 3

opednews.com Headlined to H1 11/27/09

The so-called anti-war movement currently finds itself in somewhat of a quagmire: What to do when the man you raised money for, volunteered for, and yes, even voted for, actually fulfills one of his most repulsive campaign promises?

First of all, I never understood why, or how, peace people could support someone who voted to pay for the wars while he was a Senator and was quite clear on the fact that he would increase violence in Afghanistan and perform a slow, painful and very incomplete withdrawal from Iraq. Principles that were proclaimed so loudly while Bush was president get shoved aside and buried now that a Democrat is president and how do you get your principles back from the dung-pile of selling out?

Secondly, On January 23rd of a rapidly dissipating 2009, Barack Obama perpetrated his first war crime (as president) by authorizing a drone attack in Pakistan. In February of this same year, he ordered an increase of roughly 20,000 more troops to Afghanistan: more war crimes, no corresponding outcry. However, when I cried out, I was roundly attacked by the "left" for not giving Obama a "chance." 2009 is going to be the most deadly year for our troops and Afghan and Pakistani civilians on record. I think George Bush is calling: he wants his Nobel Peace Prize back.

It is being widely reported (and it seems hotly anticipated by some)--that even though the "anti-war" movement wrote a letter to Obama and asked him to "pretty please" not send any more troops to Afghanistan and had us calling the White House all day on Monday the 23rd when Obama was scheduled to hold his final "war summit"--that the U.S. will commit 34,000 more troops to Afghanistan which is a 50 percent increase in troop strength in the Land of Certain Empire Death.

What is the "anti-war" movement's response going to be? Candlelight vigils; "honk if you love peace" rallies; a hundred rounds of "We Shall Over Come" (someday, not today or tomorrow); or, is the "anti-war" movement going to say: "Phew, McChrystal asked for 80,000, but our letter worked--he's only sending 34,000?"

True story: in October of 2005, U.S. troop deaths were going to reach 2000, within days and the "movement" was planning its response. I called for a die-in, with risk of arrest, in front of the White House and MoveOn.org called for a candlelight vigil in Lafayette Park. MoveOn.org moved their vigil to another location because they told me that their members weren't ready to do civil disobedience and some of them may be accidentally swept up in some kind of a "peace sweep." I said, "Fine, MoveOn.org, have a candlelight vigil for 2000 like you did for 1000 and next year you'll have one for 3000, then 4000, and then 5000." I think many of MoveOn.org's members were ready, I just don't think that MoveOn.org was then, or is now. They didn't do it when Bush was president, I can't imagine MoveOn.org standing up for peace when their man is the one doing the killing.

So, here we are four years, thousands of U.S. troops deaths and hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths later, and the Pope of Hope, the Dalai O'bama, the Nobel Laureate will soon be condemning thousands of more to the same fate and his supporters have given him permission to do so, no matter how many letters they write, petitions they sign or phone calls they make.

In the end, you always get what you vote for.

I knew that this surge was a done deal no matter how much political posturing and pandering occurred. I chained myself to the White House fence on October 5th and was arrested with 60 other people protesting the wars and demanding that peace be put on the proverbial table. But those were symbolic actions and the problems we are facing are deadly and in full Techno-Color, real. The time for symbolism and street-theater ended years ago, but moribund actions won't seem to just go away gracefully, so we will have to cut them off, cold turkey!

On Monday, November 30, the Peace of the Action Coalition will be sending out a press release condemning the escalation and announcing our Mother of all Protests (MOAP) that will begin in the spring.

If you're looking for some action, look no further than Peace of the Action and stayed fine-tuned for further details!

Cindy Sheehan is the mother of Spc. Casey Austin Sheehan, who was KIA in Iraq on 04/04/04. She is a co-founder and President of Gold Star Families for Peace and the author of two books: Not One More Mother's Child and Dear President Bush.

Open Memo To: Nancy Pelosi From Cindy Sheehan

You Get What you Vote For!

Impeach Obama?

"Tell me what a Police State Looks Like" by Cindy Sheehan

Tax Revolt

Capitalism: An Apathy Story by Cindy Sheehan

Comments

I assume Ms. Sheehan recommended the "protest vote... by Gustav Wynn on Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:06:03 PM
Liberals who keep voting for Democrats just becaus... by Jeffrey Rock on Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:16:36 PM
I disagree that the solution is the 1% of protest ... by Gustav Wynn on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 2:14:00 AM
I expect voters who vote for the policies they wan... by Jeffrey Rock on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:41:54 AM
...to try it that way. Allow the worse evil to win... by Gustav Wynn on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:50:03 AM
I am disappointed aat your response to my response... by Jeffrey Rock on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:19:13 AM
False hope? I didn't say we would win, I said we m... by Gustav Wynn on Sunday, Nov 29, 2009 at 3:22:23 PM
As long as you keep voting for Democrats from fear... by Jeffrey Rock on Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:34:51 PM
Thank you, Jeff Rock, for explaining the reasons w... by Bill Tower on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:58:38 PM
"I'd also liketo see automatic registration and co... by Ian MacLeod on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:40:10 PM
Just imagine you are the future manager of the Oba... by Gustav Wynn on Sunday, Nov 29, 2009 at 2:38:01 PM
You are so ill-informed. There are 42 Blue Dogs i... by Jeffrey Rock on Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:41:23 PM
Our electoral system puts voters in a serious quan... by PrMaine on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:19:54 AM
Good points. The system of free elections was inte... by Jeffrey Rock on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 3:30:16 PM
That the change in state laws would permit a bette... by BFalcon on Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:54:00 PM
We need to get poeple in that will actually pass t... by Jeffrey Rock on Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:45:38 PM
So at least some states could be involved, it is e... by BFalcon on Tuesday, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:54:42 PM
sure your even close to being sure, Cindy, that's ... by shadow dancer on Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:51:35 PM
You are absolutely right. The progressives must sp... by Nathan Nahm on Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:20:08 PM
Its nice when at least someone on the left is awak... by Jeffrey Rock on Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:28:49 PM
What goes on in Congress is probably better descri... by Sleeper on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 5:34:03 PM
The United States has more than 800 military bases... by August Adams on Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:51:38 PM
I support what you said about the widespread milit... by BFalcon on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:53:02 AM
I would support any reductions anywhere in the war... by August Adams on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:18:19 PM
on an easy initial step. Afghanistan is very compl... by BFalcon on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:07:37 PM
to open a campaign of symbolic disendoresement- al... by Mark Sashine on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:57:37 AM
What's up with all the violence anyway? Why is it ... by Hoss Hoss on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:20:50 AM
Actually, I believe there is enough proof from the... by Dennis Kaiser on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:33:09 AM
Most people don't understand the electoral system ... by BFalcon on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:07:53 AM
Obama has quickly learned how to adopt all the pos... by Mac McKinney on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:35:47 AM
...so goes the third circle of hell... by Georgianne Nienaber on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:47:15 AM
34,000 soldiers will do nothing to increase the US... by siriusss on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:54:38 AM
The public should be aware of budget appropriation... by Jason Paz on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:45:08 AM
There was no way I could have voted for a man who ... by Michael Dewey on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:20:40 AM
The world is in a major transition as people call ... by Betsy Whitfill on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:45:20 AM
What gets me upset is all those folks who voted fo... by Bill Samuel on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:06:57 PM
I am with Cindy, no more bullshit protest walking ... by Joe Walsh on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:57:13 PM
We need a whole new politics. Dump the 535 should ... by michaelslevinson on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:59:26 PM
Well, actually I didn't tell you so. But, since Ma... by Guy Dwyer on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 2:18:27 PM
who rules over a Congress of Regional Warlords? Oh... by Allan Wayne on Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:23:32 PM
But Cindy...I voted for Cynthia McKinney, and I di... by Perry Logan on Sunday, Nov 29, 2009 at 6:01:28 AM