A Conspiracy of Deadbeats

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 2   Well Said 2   Funny 1

Headlined to H2 4/17/09

A Conspiracy of Deadbeats: a brief rhetorical experiment in addressing the anti-tax movement

Imagine if somebody came to your tea party and dined from the goodies spread out before her while enjoying the teatime entertainment and then, when the bill was passed around, balked at the suggestion that she pay her fair share.  Why do we endure this on a national level?  That's what the modern anti-tax crusader is doing.  The anti-tax movement is not made of mere fiscal conservatives who want to moderate expenses.    The 2009 anti-tax crusader is a deadbeat --  the mooching brother-in-law of America who won’t move out of the family den while refusing to pay anything into the family coffers.  It's an ongoing and neverending con.  Well, I think it's time to call these fair-weather patriots what they are -- economic traitors to their country.  Even when our country is on the edge of economic catastrophe, they still don't want to serve their nation with their dollars and cents.

How else to pay for the infrastructure?  How else to educate our children, build roads and bridges for them to safely cross, and  how else to sustain the larger society we all enjoy?   If these anti-tax deadbeats want to move to some distant land without roads and bridges, and build a palace for their own family, then let them do so.  But we are all Americans.  All responsible citizens have brought something to our common tea party.  But these anti-tax misers, much as Ebenerzer Scrooge, even refuse to help our weaker and more fragile citizens.

And we all know what happened to Scrooge.

This little rant has been a friendly foreshadowing of my next OpEd on Repurposing the Right’s Propaganda.

It’s time to give the right-wing a taste of their own medicine (and assorted other similes and metaphor).

I am self-employed as a writer and internet traffic consultant. I have a degree in cultural anthropology. I've been married for thirty years to my college sweetheart. We have one son. My family has been in the USA for 350 years. I take (more...)

An Obsession with Homosexuality?

Fear of Flying Nuns - a feminist defense of a 1960s girlhood TV hero

A Conspiracy of Deadbeats

Where has all the future gone?

Not Just Any Dick and Harry: an indignant op ed for a lost friend

The Emperor is Stupid

Comments

According to these folks, any tax or government sp... by Paul Roden on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:30:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply.... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:02:05 PM
Sorry Melody, you don't have any concept of ou... by William Whitten on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:55:20 PM
I've been writing about the oligarchy since before... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:00:41 PM
our government is an oligarchy, do you even know w... by josh j on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:10:35 PM
I'm going to stop replying to these things. Just ... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:40:32 PM
... and it's still horsesh*t.... by Mr M on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:01:52 AM
Melody, I meant, BULL-oney, hun, it was a play on ... by William Whitten on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:29:19 PM
It's time to brave the teeth. These wordsmiths ar... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 7:06:25 PM
You are right there in the lions mout now...Not mi... by William Whitten on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 7:20:42 PM
William, I don't trust anyone and I certainly only... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 7:40:49 PM
Is that like a little-bit pregnant? So you set... by Mr M on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:13:07 AM
 We must be "sipping from the same cup;&... by Carole Sarcinello on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:32:49 PM
I read this wonderful post. Thank you for getting... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:48:55 PM
Our government has been infiltrated by bankers, la... by josh j on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:37:18 PM
The problems are being caused by a group of people... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:47:43 PM
Why Anyone Would Ally Themselves With An 80,000 Pa... by Brad Evans on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:18:47 PM
I'm thinking you mean bridle. Until we recogn... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:43:33 PM
I see that you enjoy being a cheap shot Left Wing ... by Dan Perkins on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:39:41 PM
There's no point in trying to debate anything with... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:39:25 PM
While I do not appreciate that any of the monied t... by Philip Dennany on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:50:08 PM
And thank you for getting the whole point.... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:41:34 PM
Thank you for your invigorating introduction. I b... by Carol Cleveland on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:48:45 PM
You got my point! But then I expected that you wo... by Melody Clark on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:53:07 PM
That's right 'cause everybody's evil but me and yo... by William Whitten on Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:39:20 PM
I know Carol ... Carol knows me. She knew what I ... by Melody Clark on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:24:59 AM
I am proud to say that I have always hated paying ... by Doc "Old Codger" McCoy on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:52:10 AM
I don't like paying taxes either (and I pay a LOT ... by Melody Clark on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:28:59 AM
  INTOLERANCE Between both the Left & the... by William Whitten on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:13:30 AM
I viewed it as an experiment but you seem to be re... by Melody Clark on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:20:02 AM
Melody, so you write an article that we are to ass... by William Whitten on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:53:17 AM
I meant everything I wrote ... but what I wrote ne... by Melody Clark on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:09:29 PM
It's the "little people" like you an... by jersey girl on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:34:37 AM
... about. Which taxes are you talking about? Beca... by Mr M on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 7:55:19 AM
Jersey Girl said it best. And M justly criticized ... by richard on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:38:06 PM
Great comments Richard. I am glad you took the tim... by William Whitten on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:24:39 PM
What you say is true. I don't see these compla... by Hosea McAdoo on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:40:07 PM
Thanks, Hosea. Exactly. I think if the other p... by Melody Clark on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:54:21 PM
It wasn't that long or difficult to do. Howeve... by jersey girl on Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:52:45 PM
...as proved by the wild flailing of your disputan... by Zander Nyrond on Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 3:07:00 AM
as proved by the wild flailing of your disputants ... by jersey girl on Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 7:09:01 AM
"The last thing people who want to smash the ... by William Whitten on Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:05:41 PM