In the past this country had a media which believed in the truth. In pursuit of the truth, the media would be relentless at times to bring some accountability to the political nature of this country. Unfortunately in latter day America we see a media that begins their day in pursuit of an ideology, not the truth. The result is a skewing of the news to fit the pre-formed philosophy they are in pursuit of. The truth begins to be massaged, stretched, and outright changed to fit that ideology. Instead of having media that is looking out for our interests, we instead have a media determined to convince us that their ideology is what we should be supporting. It is there at that point, in the midst of the talking heads, fake exclusives and imaginary news, that the truth dies a horrible death.
What effect does this have? First, it distorts the truth. If a lie is repeated enough, eventually people will believe it. That is why a disproportionate amount of people who only watch Fox for their news actually still believe Iraq had something to do with 911. The real damage done by Fox however is not just their content because most educated people can easily see through the fake news. The real damage is that Fox makes other media appear moderate. A closer look though reveals that traditional "mainstream " media is also engaged in the pursuit of ideology. News shows begin to take an apologist format, covering for the administration. This is never so evident than in the coverage of the Iraq war from the beginning. Yes the administration sold us on this war based on lies, but it was the media that acted as their salespeople either by direct support or simply looking the other way when they should have been in pursuit of the truth.
Last week on MSNBC, Chris Matthews had an entire hour devoted to the impending indictments in the Plamegate case and how there have been rumblings that the Vice President may also be indicted. There was no pursuit of the truth; instead not one of the six guests explored the possibility that it may be true. What we saw were five guests, who were hard line supporters of the administration, assure us how Dick Cheney would never do anything illegal and the sixth guest was moderate at best. What we also saw though was the distortion of the truth go unchallenged. Andrea Mitchell flat out lied on multiple occasions and was never corrected.
The effect of this and most "news " is that a story of such vast importance is not being covered and in fact is being twisted to support the ideology of this administration. The facts are these:
1) In the run up to the war it was the office of the Vice President that inquired about the veracity of the Iraq-Niger yellowcake story.
3) He reported his findings which stated that the documents were forgeries and the story had no merit.
4) In the following State of the Union address, President Bush mentioned the story as fact, despite knowing it was untrue.
5) It was this lie, along with the other WMD lies that led this country into the Iraq War. It was the express reason given to Congress and the express reason Congress allowed the president to wage this war. Without these lies, there was no war.
6) At this same time Great Britain acknowledged that President Bush had decided to "fix the intelligence around his policy " of invasion.
7) At this time, Judy Miller was writing several pro-war articles trumping up the WMD lies. Essentially, she sold the war to the country through the New York Times. Her sources were all from the administration, or provided by the administration. Once again, pursuing an ideology, not the truth.
8) Joseph Wilson writes an op-ed piece to clarify that he did not find any such proof on his trip to Niger.
10) Plame 's status was a NOC (Non-official cover), the most secret of statuses.
The issue is not only the outing of Valerie Plame but of why there were any forged documents to begin with. Why someone would want to falsify such claims, which would only lead to war? If you remember, at the time, President Bush was swearing that war would be his last option. Instead what this implies is that a campaign was underway to deceive the American people to support a war based on lies. Those lies have cost this country billions of dollars and the lives of 2,000 American soldiers and it is time the truth was set free.