Note: Version with additional graphics can be found at:
Please take a moment to look at the following screenshot from Obama's transition website: www.change.gov
The screenshot was taken on 12/20/2008 and I've preserved it because I will bet that he will bury this "skunky corpse" in a matter of days. Why?
Because it illustrates that Obama has absolutely no intention of bending to the will of the American people. The screenshot shows that the most requested "change" that the American people want to see is the Re-Legalization of Marijuana.
Let's think about this for a moment. Nearly 20,000 Americans offered nearly 10,000 suggested changes and Marijuana Re-Legalization received the most support of any other suggested change.
So here was how the suggested change--that received the most support of ANY other question--was worded:
"Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?"
And here is the insulting response we got to the most supported suggestion for change, from President Elect Obama's transition team:
President-elect Obama is not in favor of the legalization of marijuana. Transition Team, Washington, D.C.
So Obama thinks he can just "blow us off" on the issue of Marijuana Re-Legalization despite the good that Marijuana Re-Legalization could bring:
(1) It would destroy the Mexican Drug Cartels and local drug gangs.
(2) It would provide some counterbalance to the liberties lost through the Patriot Act and other legislation that received bi-partisan support from Republicans and Democrats alike.
(3) It would erase the criminal records of millions of upstanding American's whose only crime was to use a harmless non-alcoholic drug.
But of course that is exactly why Obama will not Re-Legalize Marijuana. Most of his campaign money came from the very interests that are opposed to Marijuana Re-Legalization. Consider the following:
* Attorneys will loose out on profiting from the near 840,000 Marijuana arrests each year.
* Drug testing labs will loose huge amounts of revenue.
* The Prison Industrial Complex will be gutted and the US will no longer have the largest per capita number of its citizens behind bars or in some other form of judicial control
* The Multi-National Banks that launder billions in drug money, each year, will loose significant revenue
* Drug gangs, and drug cartels alike, will collapse as Re-Legalized Marijuana has a "Gatekeeper" effect (e.g., since users will be able to "brew" their own Marijuana they will have less contact with those that sell harder drugs such as Heroin, Cocaine and Methamphetamine.
* The government will no longer be able to doing anything with all that surveillance data they insist on accumulating on each American Citizen.
* Clemency for all non-violent drug use will reduce the absurd amounts of money spent on the Prison Industrial Complex and the number of felons will be reduced drastically.
Yep, the same scumbags that financed his campaign are those most opposed to Re-Legalizing Marijuana. That is why Obama is "just saying no." Obama is the marionette and they are the ones pulling the strings.
It is up to us to ensure that his renouncement does not stand. It is time to stand up and be counted. Demand that Marijuana is completely Legalized by May 1st, 2009 through the MERP Model: