I'm sick and tired, too. But sick and tired of wasted words from those who seem to claim authority. Even more put off by those who believe they have the expertise to advise elected officials, as though they are somehow posture-chair generals.
It pays, I think, that there's everyone else and then there's me. I could function if I couldn't read or write--or watch popular television. If all my present and future needs are being tended to, why should I get the Beltway blues?
Before the New Deal changed things, and if I could have remained on the farm, perhaps it would have worked. As it is, I'm doing my tax returns this weekend and I watch Medicare as I have since I turned 65. Also I watch what the general public likes. On my darkest days I wonder if they don't want too much while putting out too little effort and time. Nothing rankles me more than the phrase "Medicare for all" when I think that many don't recognize that Medicare is no free ride. First of all, Medicare only pays doctors 80% of what HHS determines they should receive. If we don't want to be stuck with the difference we must take out a policy to cover the other 20%. You guessed it! I pay AARP--really United Health--a monthly amount which ballooned for me this year. At the same time the hospital part of Medicare (Part B) has a premium deduction taken out of my Social Security check. None of this is a gripe, or hardship, as far as I'm concerned.
All I'm saying is that there is no free ride.
Frankly, Americans have been bought. It's a question of who blinks first.
Good governmental benefits require proportionate taxes and it's a given that many who rely on the promise of a safety net are not paying. At the other end of the income scale are those rolling in dough and having enough clout to avoid payment to those they label as shirkers.
If our society is out of kilter, everyone has something to reconsider. If those carrying around teabags think they have invented something unique in politics, I've got a nice juicy lemon to put with their tea. It's not class warfare which we are dealing with. Everyone must take a new view. Living is going to become more expensive in the future. It seems like the word is reaching Washington. I notice several longtime ringleaders in Washington are beginning to head for the hills.
Kinda looks like they got the message, doesn't it?