To Trump voters:
I voted for Hillary Clinton and before her for Barack Obama. So, you and I probably disagree on many crucial issues: gun control, abortion rights, immigration policies, Black Lives Matter, same sex marriage, etc. I doubt that either of us would have any success trying to change the other on any of those issues. But we might be able to agree on a few things.
1. We would both like to keep our planet able to sustain life for our children, grandchildren, and beyond. Yet climatologists overwhelmingly agree that the earth is heating up, in large part because of human activities, and with potentially devastating consequences. We trust scientists who enable us to land men on the moon; eradicate deadly diseases; and develop powerful weaponry systems. Yet many politicians arrogantly claim that they know more than our best scientists about the cause of climate change--and whether climate change is even occurring. Amateurs do not get to overrule NASA scientists about the proper coordinates for a rocket launch, and amateurs should not shape attitudes toward climate change. Let's you and I band together and warn politicians that we'll vote them out of office unless they take measures to protect our planet.
2. Donald Trump has said that, as long as we maintain a nuclear arsenal, we should be willing to use it. That attitude terrifies me and I hope it does you as well. The devastation inflicted on Hiroshima and Nagasaki would be minor compared with what our vastly more powerful bombs would do. And, if the U.S. ever started bombing, we would become a pariah nation with retaliation likely. The entire planet might soon be covered by a mushroom cloud.
3. I hope you share my belief that the U.S. President is a servant of the people. So, the President should not lie to the people. Donald Trump has been caught in almost a lie a day since he's taken office.
4. I hope you also share my belief that we should not allow or encourage people in other countries to influence our elections. Donald Trump encouraged Russia to hack Hillary Clinton's emails and almost surely affect the election.
5. Finally, I hope you share my belief that democracies need a free press. But Donald Trump calls newspapers the enemy. That puts him in the company of every dictator who ever lived.
You probably like Mike Pence. I don't, but Trump is so erratic and dangerous that I'd welcome his impeachment even if it means that Pence ascends to the presidency. Please consider contacting your local officials, Democratic or Republican, and urging them to start proceedings.
Sent from my iPad