Poll Analyses
Share on Facebook 9 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Diary    H3'ed 11/7/20

On Biden's Win

Ceridwen, a wonderful cat (RIP probably)
Ceridwen, a wonderful cat (RIP probably)
(Image by Marta Steele)
  Details   DMCA

I dare to clash with some of OEN's brilliant writers and readers today by expressing joy that Biden won today, the lesser of two evils by far. Hillary was the lesser of two evils in 2016 but lost. First we needed a woman VP, then a woman prez. The nation is still male chauvinist--witness the most recent SCOTUS hiree.

Male chauvinist? Antichoice. Among other wholly un-American beliefs.

My view here may actually be the most radical on this page today, believe it or not.

I am a Bernie Democrat but with this cynical belief: that people are human and, as I've said many times before, things all boil down to human nature.

I maintain that if the hourglass of the population were turned upside-down, the new HAVEs would become as greedy as the present ones. Most humans want things and envy material wealth. Few people don't want to fly in private planes from one lavish residence to the next all over the world in tony resorts.

Do I want that life? Not really. But most people do and, as Emily Dickinson wrote, "success is counted sweetest/by those who don't succeed." Wealth may be sought after with as much ardor as the billionaire class is clinging to it andmultiplying it even in the throes of covid if not because of it.

The happiest people in the world have governments that take care of them: the Finns, according to a Forbes magazine study published on the International Day of Happiness this year, March 20. Sunlight in the midst of a pandemic, they acknowledged.

But none of the reasons Forbes gave for the Finns' happiness related to the government, except that without this form of benevolence, perhaps they couldn't take a walk in the woods so peacefully and love art so much and be the most highly literate people in the world.

But how can they be so happy in total darkness half of the year? Not that they'd want this old bag, but I couldn't migrate there. I need lots of sunlight. Maybe my pituitary gland is overly demanding.

Am I contradicting myself by pointing to the Finns' happiness after claiming that we all want to be billionaires? Do the Finns dream of having millions?

Maybe.

My father always said that he'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. He was only really happy when at work inventing things.

How did we get to this primitive and intuitive analysis of happiness?

Who's happier, billionaires or the Finns? Has that study been done? That might answer my question.

I've allowed myself a window of happiness, as have many fellow "liberals" today, despite Trump's threats to recreate Florida 2000 with his gerrymandered SCOTUS.

So I contribute this happy-talk today hiding the most radical and cynical thought on this page today: that we're all the same and we all crave the good life, the American Dream on steroids.

Beshrew me, or, more colloquially, "go do me something," as my mother used to say. Both she and my father would have rejoiced today.

Well Said 2   Valuable 2   Interesting 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Marta Steele Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Marta Steele is an author/editor/blogger who has been writing for Opednews.com since 2006. She is also author of the 2012 book "Grassroots, Geeks, Pros, and Pols: The Election Integrity Movement's Nonstop Battle to Win Back the People's Vote, (more...)

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this diary has expired.

Al Hirschfield

(Member since Jan 20, 2019), 2 fans, 58 articles, 351 quicklinks, 1225 comments, 2 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

You go, girl! The best things in life will always be free. Someone recently reminded me of that when I sent them a video clip of a dove cooing.

We need enough money for the basics, and a nice toy or luxury on occasion is also probably part of the equation. But beyond that, you're generally just asking for trouble.

There have been studies done on the subject. One of the best known is: Making More Than $75,000 Per Year Won't Make you Any Happier

Some sociologists would say that $75,000 per year is actually "rich". But it certainly isn't billions...

Anyway, my Guru once said, "The richest man is he who has the fewest desires."

But that's very Eastern.

Thanks, Marta! I do love your stuff!

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 7, 2020 at 10:21:15 PM

Recommend  (3+)

Marta Steele

Become a Fan (Member since Nov 1, 2007), 15 fans, 335 articles, 131 quicklinks, 903 comments, 54 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Al Hirschfield:   New Content

Thanks, dear Al. Maybe the writer's block is receding. Hope I can keep on writing!

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 2:43:46 AM

Recommend  (2+)

Meryl Ann Butler

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Jun 5, 2006), 82 fans, 704 articles, 2080 quicklinks, 6344 comments, 8 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Thanks, Marta! I'm glad you're happy!

I guess I'm sort of happy...really, relieved is more accurate. There wasn't a choice this time that would have made me really happy. I've only cast two votes in my life that were thrilling to me - they were in the primaries, one for Sanders and one for Kucinich. Up til then, I never suspected that voting could make someone happy, LOL!

I mean, I felt like I was faced with voting for a rapist, either way. And that felt pretty traumatic to me. So the way I coerced myself into voting at all was to decide I was casting a vote for AOC - now THAT makes me happy! And since she wasn't running for president, I cast my vote for the ticket most likely to be helping pave a path toward that. And when looking at it from the perspective of where we have been for the last 4 years, well, I guess it is comparatively happy.

I don't want to sound like I'm not happy at all - I have actually been living in bliss, doing more sustained creative projects and artwork than any other time in my life during the last few months, and I love it! It's just that there is not that much in politics lately to be really happy about...but maybe there will be, with cabinet appointments!!!

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 6:36:20 AM

Recommend  (1+)

Marta Steele

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Dear MAB,

So glad you're living in bliss. My happiness is that negative x negative = positive. Something like that. I am overjoyed that the DT has been defeated. I'm far from a Biden-maniac. Just glad that this regne de terreur seems to have been ended for now and may it never rise up again. Too many Weimar parallels that were chilling. Cringing as I await what punishments will accrue in the days leading up to ... January 20. The wicked witch won't be legally dead until then. Legally dead?

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 2:17:26 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Meryl Ann Butler

Reply to Marta Steele:   New Content

Well I hope people are taking good notes, and will build a better world, sometimes it takes going to the brink to wake folks up - and I will be happy to see good programs and good people emerging! I was just thinking, wouldn't it be great to have Jahana Hayes as Sect'y of Education? do you know her? Rep from CT who was national Teacher of the Year in 2016.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 3:21:00 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndent

Marta Steele

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Dear MAB,

And Bernie in a very prominent position? Dream on. Word is that the aisle will be crossed more than once in the Cabinet ...

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 4:13:54 PM

Recommend  (1+)
IndentIndentIndentIndent

Meryl Ann Butler

Reply to Marta Steele:   New Content

I think Bernie supporters will be pushing for something...and after he encouraged them to vote for Biden, it willbe harder to try to overlook him...

one toe in the door at a time

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 5:42:49 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Marta Steele

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Dear MAB,

Moscow Mitch says only moderates, not progs, will be considered. Maybe if he's offered a cabinet post he'll take it. Dream on!

Submitted on Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:14:44 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Lance Ciepiela

Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Apr 4, 2008), 53 fans, 58 articles, 247 quicklinks, 5362 comments, 215 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Of course, Trump will probably remain in a total 'state of revenge' which he may not be able to easily 'shake off' after January 20th when Biden 'takes office' - most likely, Trump will be 'dissecting' Biden, figurately speaking of course, from 'top' to 'bottom', in the hope he can run again in 2024 and possibly win 'a second term', which he announced for even before being sworn in for his 1st term. Surely Trump must feel he was cheated out of a second term, even with Biden's 290 Electoral Votes notwithstanding, and surely he'll be blaming Biden for 'all the ills' coming America's way in 'Biden's first term' ? - #aggressivefocus. #CorporatePlutocracy.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 3:24:27 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Marta Steele

Reply to Lance Ciepiela:   New Content

We may have lost a "president" [for now?] but gained a monster-nemesis. MSM has sure been playing down his hideous behaviors lately. I keep reminding myself of what a hell McConnell would have made out of Hillary's presidency, but it wouldn't have been as bad ...

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 4:12:46 PM

Recommend  (1+)

Mohammad Ala

(Member since Oct 1, 2007), 11 fans, 28 articles, 53 quicklinks, 1411 comments, 3 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

No one is addressing the lobby groups and their effects on elections and especially foreign policies.

To me individual presidents are not as important as lobby or interest groups. These organizations or groups are chocking other countries and stealing helpless people's lands.

Lying was accepted. Cheating was accepted. Hating others were accepted.

UN became useless ignoring stealing lands of helpless people.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 6:35:30 PM

Recommend  (1+)

Marta Steele

Reply to Mohammad Ala:   New Content

Dear Mohammad,

All sort of influence groups affect things, especially the ones we don't know about. As I always say, there's so much that we don't know! It's amazing that the people are noticed by the feds at all, if not beautiful. Don't let them take it away. As for DT's threats for another term, I think he may become too busy to tweet, which is why he's so desperately fighting to be president instead of its inverse. Whatever that is, it's got to be pretty low.

Submitted on Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:18:41 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Marta Steele

Dear MAB,

Who's in charge here really? McConnell, the state legislatures, who could manipulate the electors, McC approval of the Cabinet? Banking on Biden's across-the-aisle skills to even get McC to talk to him? Lobbies of course. Bernie, a position that won't need Congressional approval? What a statesman. He had so many town halls after his defeat, I think close to every night. So my prayers continue.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 8, 2020 at 6:57:48 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Maxwell

(Member since Feb 15, 2007), 3 fans, 4444 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Count me as another human with no desire to fly all over the world in private planes from one residence to the next. I am mostly content with what I have. I wouldn't turn down a bigger house or a newer car, but wouldn't knowingly contribute to the destruction of the earth to get them.

Also I believe, perhaps naively, that if you turned the hourglass upside down, most have-nots would be content just to have. There will be a few sociopaths in every social stratum, of course.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I know what it's like. They are with us such a short time. Mostly just long enough for us to get really attached.

Submitted on Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 3:29:43 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Marta Steele

Reply to Maxwell:   New Content

Dear Maxwell,

Because in my opinion the "lower" classes have suffered so much more than those of us with thank God food and shelter, if rained upon with billions they may yield to the forces that keep the billionaires so rich. And they'd deserve it. There may be an all-out fight of a different sort. It's a sort of craziness that lurks in all of our ids. Think of what happens when people win the lottery. Then they spend the rest of their lives, often, getting fat in front of the tv. Sorry for my cynicism. Once again a few would have a lot. Etc. Lots else might happen in my scenario. But who knows? Not likely to happen anytime soon. As Jesus said, "The poor we will always have with us." Can you envision the Koch brothers sweeping floors? In my dreams.

Submitted on Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:24:32 PM