Happy Birthday OpEdNews
Tomorrow, Feb 28, is the fifth Birthday for OpEdNews.com. After a few weeks of gearing up for going live, OpEdNews opened just a few weeks before the start of the Iraq war.
Happy Birthday Present Donations are welcome. I'd guess, that in the first three years, OpEdNews received total funding of under $3000. Now, our monthly budget is higher than that. Donate here for OpEdNews' happy birthday. Now, enjoy some nostalgia:
Check out old, about three year old archive of regular contributors, no longer used after May 2005. Only a few of the articles have been transferred to the database. (we now have a system in place to transfer them and could use volunteers to help do the transfer.)
Our old sitemap is a must see. If you've never checked it out, you might be surprised with some of the resources we have on the site, kind of like finding an attic full of treasures.
Back when we started, we used a shared hosting platform. Then we grew, so we expanded to a server, for 7.99 a month, that provided 50 megabytes of storage and about 500 megabytes of bandwidth. Five or six hosting sites later, we now use a dedicated private server with a 500 Gigabyte hard drive, two gigabytes of RAM and 2.5 terabytes of monthly bandwidth, at a cost of about $320, including 24 hour tech coverage.
Some of the early articles from our First year of publishing.
- Iraq War: Plan on 90,000-250,000 US Troop Casualties, long term costs of $150-$900 Billion by Rob Kall published March 6, 2003.
- A few by Jesse Lee, one of our first writers, who went on to edit the DCCC blog, and now works as head of new media for the Speaker of the house.
- The New American Century vs. The UN Jesse Lee
- Another American diplomat quits over Iraq Mary A. Wright's resignation letter to Colin Powell
- And who would have thought that I'd get to know Ann Wright, publish multiple articles by her, and an interview with her done by one of our first editors, Amanda Lang.
- Why is G.W. Bush Crushing the Nation of Iraq? Mike Berry
- How to Take Back America Thom Hartmann
- Is the President Nuts? Diagnosing Dubya Carol Wolman, M.D. (one of our first and still current valued writers.)
- War is Not Viagra
- At least 7 Oil Wells on Fire. Who set them? Saddam? or Cheney's Haliburton? >
- Who Started The'91 Kuwait Oil Well Fires? 5 GI vets say U.S. Desert Post Weekly, 3/13/ 2003, Steve Brown, News Editor
- Listen To Tommy Franks Carefully Damien Howard
- Myths and Facts About the War Rahul Mahajan and Robert Jensen
- Urgent: Creation of A Progessive Counterpart to Conservative Think Tanks
- Analysis: After Iraq, what's next?
- When Democracy Failed Thom Hartmann
- Questions pollsters are failing to ask that would really tell us what Americans think
- The Misunderstood Link Between Al-Qaeda and Iraq Ahmad Faruqui
- Bush's Brain by Mark Karlin
- A Tough Liberal Stance on National Security by Bob Petrusak 6/9 opednews.com
- Report from the Conference to Take Back America, sponsored by the Campaign for America’s Future, June 4-6, 2003, Wash., DC Patrick Abegg opednews.com
- Bush, Martha, The Blairs, Zora and WMD'S By Allan P. Duncan
- Patriot Act Related Stories Claudia Slate
- Do You Feel Safer Now? WMD Fraud Weakens America, Cuts our Ability to Build Strong Coalitions. May be an Impeachable Offense for Bush, Cheney, DeLay Rob Kall
- Midnight Ride of the Rabble Thom Hartmann
- Patriot Act Related Stories by Claudia Slate
- The Nerve of the Federal Reserve A. Scott Piraino OpEdNews
- Calling for a Media Crimes Tribunal by Danny Schecter OpEdNews.Com
- The Doors Of Perception: Why Americans Will Believe Almost Anything by Dr. Tim O'Shea
- Compassionate" Conservatives use the Christian concept of compassion as a justification for a conservative political philosophy that bears no relationship whatsoever to Christianity. By Dr. Gerry Lower OpEdNews
- Bush is a Genius Rob Kall
- The Clinton Years Complacency and the Neocons Jesse Lee OpEdNews.Com
- The Third Depression By A. Scott Piraino OpEdNews.com
- Guts, Action, Standing Up to Tom DeLay, Saying NO...... Texas Democrats Set a Standard for the Whole Party By Robert Jensen
Starting a Progressive Counterpart to the Neocon's Most Powerful Weapon-- the Policy Creation and Advocacy Think Tank; Join the Grassroots Effort to Build One Rob Kall
• Are You a Tough Talking Liberal? We want tough talking editorials-- tough on the right, tough on Limbaugh sycophants, tough on stupidity. Send your articles, letters, rants, anecdotes to Tough Talk
Standards for Measuring George's Morality Dr. Gerry Lower OpEdNews.com
A Political Philosophy based on Lying: Bush, Willie Nelson Share much in Philosophy, Texas, Past Drunkenness By Mike Hudson OpedNews.com 5/26
Do you want to know who the Americans running Iraq really are? By Jan Oberg opednews.com May 24, 2003Language Barrier: How "Blood Money" Becomes "Business Opportunities" By Chris Floyd OpEdNews.com May 24, 2003• The Bush Tax HIKE Jesse Lee, OpEdNews.com 5/23
• Graham's God and George's Evolution Depression & Devotion: the Bush Pathology Dr. Gerry Lower OpEdNews.com 5/23
And here's the earliest article, in our articles, that I linked to:
- Press Dropping the Ball Molly Ivins: