Spitzer's prostitute Should Not Make a Nickel

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 2 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

The Jersey prostitute who has become famous overnight has been offered enormous deals from Hustler, Penthouse, is making money from the downloads of her sluttish, normally untalented song.

Why should she get rich for breaking the law. The FBI used Spitzer's dalliances with her to break him. But there are laws against her prostitution and now she looks like she'll make a fortune off her notoriety. Aren't there laws against this?

Frankly, I oppose laws against prostitution. It is a behavior, like drug abuse, that can ruin people, but so can drinking alcohol or gambling. We have too many crimes on the books.

But since it is a crime and since this woman was used by the Bush admin FBI to bring down a Democratic leader with presidential potential, I don't want to see the woman rewarded. I want to see her receive equal justice.

Failure to give her the full attention of the law, failure to prevent her from being massively rewarded, will create a precedent for future gotcha setups by rogue government agencies that have been taken over by partisan leaderships.

I should be clear. Spitzer was an ass and a fool to do what he did to his family, his career. But that's just part of the picture.

************

Update: After reading 30+ comments, mostly disagreeing with me, here's where I lay this out a bit more, having had some more time to think about it.

The TV news had just announced that Hustler and Penthouse were in a bidding war, exceeding a million dollars. My posting above was almost a kneejerk reaction to it, certainly only partly formed. So here's a longer take on it.

I see Spitzer as a tragic hero-- one who has taken on and beaten some of the most powerful corporate tyrants and criminals, who has incurred their enmity and revenge. This girl who was a pawn has the potential to become a celebrity, a star.

No, I'm no Simon, from American Idol, though I've run a record company. But I don't want girls to think that if they're lucky, they can live in fancy NY city digs, make tens of thousands a week, become millionaires, if they become .... whores. Oh. You don't like that word, not nice enough. How about boy toys, pay for play boy bling, love kittens... whatever. She sells her body to a guy old enough to be her father-- perhaps not as despicable as a general who lies for his commander in chief, like Colin Powell, or Bush appointees who de-regulate or ignore regulations in industries where failure to regulate leads to death or environmental damage. These people are also whores. I used the word prostitute because it IS an ugly word, and that is what the young lady is.

But Bill Clinton's dalliance with Monica Lewinsky led to a generation that was enamored with and fascinated with oral sex. Not necessarily a terrible thing, but clearly an unintended consequence of the mediaization and publicizing of the circumstances of Clinton's relationship with Lewinsky.

I don't want to see a new generation grow up romanticizing and glorifying the success and fame of Eliot Spitzer's prostitute. Already, I'm sure that the body workers who serviced the other numbers on the list on which Spitzer was number nine, are disappointed that THEY have not been so "lucky" to be THE ONE to get all the attention. I expect soon enough, other women who serviced Spitzer will come forward, trying to jump on the Penthouse, Hustler, celibrity gravy train.

I would rather the narrative be that this women was a victim, that she was used by Spitzer and the FBI and the pimps who sold her services and that she was a loser in the deal, that selling her body, her self esteem, her integrity was a losing proposition. That's the message I'd like to see become the predominant narrative that unfolds from this story.

Yes, I do agree that prostitution should not be a crime. Prostitutes should register, get checked regularly for health and there should never be circumstances where sex slaves, like today's MSNBC is exploiting for it's titillating nature, as a tie in to this Spitzer story, are abused against their will.

I don't want teenagers, glued to their TVs following the latest personal failings and crises of Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan, to see Miss Ashley Alexandra Dupre as a heroic, inspiring role model.

Next Page  1  |  2

Rob Kall has spent his adult life as an awakener and empowerer-- first in the field of biofeedback, inventing products, developing software and a music recording label, MuPsych, within the company he founded in 1978-- Futurehealth, and founding, organizing and running 3 conferences: Winter Brain, on Neurofeedback and consciousness, Optimal Functioning and Positive Psychology (a pioneer in the field of Positive Psychology, first presenting workshops on it in 1985) and Storycon Summit Meeting on the Art Science and Application of Story-- each the first of their kind.  Then, when he found the process of raising people's consciousness and empowering them to take more control of their lives  one person at a time was too slow, he founded Opednews.com-- which has been the top search result on Google for the terms liberal news and progressive opinion for several years. Rob began his Bottom-up Radio show, broadcast on WNJC 1360 AM to Metro Philly, also available on iTunes, covering the transition of our culture, business and world from predominantly Top-down (hierarchical, centralized, authoritarian, patriarchal, big)  to bottom-up (egalitarian, local, interdependent, grassroots, archetypal feminine and small.) Recent long-term projects include a book, Bottom-up-- The Connection Revolution, debillionairizing the planet and the Psychopathy Defense and Optimization Project.

Rob Kall Wikipedia Page

Over 200 podcasts are archived for downloading here, or can be accessed from iTunes. Rob is also (more...)

A Conspiracy Conspiracy Theory

Terrifying Video: "I Don't Need a Warrant, Ma'am, Under Federal Law"

Ray McGovern Discusses Brutal Arrest at Secretary Clinton's Internet Freedom Speech

Cindy Sheehan Bugged in Denver

Libertarian Legacy? Ron Paul's Campaign Manager, 49, Dies Uninsured, Of Pneumonia, Leaving family $400,000 Debt

Interview: McCain Fellow Hanoi Hilton POW & Naval Academy Dorm-mate; Why He Won't Vote For McCain

Comments

Why do you care? Prostitution and the women who e... by Ron Jacobs on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:42:21 AM
Sorry Rob, but you're way off-base here. ... by Barton Kunstler on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:44:09 AM
What Spitzer did, in a civilized society, should b... by Ami Isseroff on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:52:26 AM
  I would imagine that this woman was just do... by robert braunstein on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:01:16 AM
Part of the media frenzy concerning the Spitzer af... by Constance Lavender on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:06:31 AM
I *really* don't understand. She may indeed be... by jf on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:09:03 AM
I add my own disapproval of your assertion that th... by JGug1 on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:12:20 AM
In a situation where a reasonably bright woman has... by Dana Pico on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:58:55 PM
This is not about prostitution, nor about sex. Whe... by Guajolotl on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:14:09 AM
The woman is repugnant. As an actress and director... by siriusss on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:16:00 AM
Often what siriuss and Palast said is true and I a... by Barton Kunstler on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:30:46 AM
The good thing about Rob is he keeps an open mind ... by Ron Corvus on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:20:45 AM
I was just starting to paint my sign.There's n... by Rob Kall on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:05:00 PM
If I understand correctly Elliot Spitzer over an e... by Philip Knab on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:21:46 AM
I agree with Rob.I don't give a ra about prost... by Alexis Knapp on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:26:02 AM
And they are still getting rich from their prostit... by John Sanchez Jr. on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:32:42 AM
Do you think little girls dream of growing up to b... by SpiritBlooms on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:35:49 AM
Rob Kall complained of the call girl: "......... by Ron Corvus on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:37:42 AM
I think Monica Lewinsky got to host a show on Fox ... by John Hanks on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:45:39 AM
I must have missed that. Are you referring to the ... by RHM on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:51:06 AM
     "Kristin" was n... by Dave Lindorff on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:51:48 AM
Prostitution, in the form of selling sex,  ma... by Pam Ladds on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:06:25 AM
----- Original Message ----- From: Sphphlgrvy@aol.... by Ron Corvus on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:13:38 AM
Prostitution is illegal so anyone caught engaging ... by Ty on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:16:41 AM
My understanding was that she was an unwitting too... by Archie on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:27:13 AM
You may be overworked and worried about getting th... by John Haigh on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:31:51 AM
It's amazing how men tell women what to do wit... by Ron Corvus on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:49:02 AM
Men can not yet get pregnant, but we can get kidne... by Constance Lavender on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:53:32 PM
The penalties for celebrity are so high in this me... by Stephen C. Rose on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:56:02 AM
story are very significant, but this isn't one... by Richard Mynick on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:00:28 PM
While this entire tragedy causing suffering to so ... by Laura Beth on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:01:59 PM
Have you noticed the deafening silence regarding ... by siriusss on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:16:07 PM
That we had all that flack about words to be banne... by Robert Sargent on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:35:52 PM
Thank you Robert Sargent for reminding me how... by Ron Corvus on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:19:12 PM
Sorry, I can't take Rob Krall's comme... by Debra Craig on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:49:58 PM
My response to Rob's rant:  I am reminded... by Alan Donelson on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:03:09 PM
It is a crime what the chick did.  Whether or... by Alexis Knapp on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:06:36 PM
I had forgotten this song - and it was one of my f... by EFKaplan on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:44:06 PM
Like the mainstream media that looked the other wa... by Barbara Bellows-TerraNova on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:55:44 PM
In the words of Mrs. Olsen "its the richest k... by john riggs on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:15:16 PM
Rob, You often preach about using respectful langu... by James Cordray on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:59:21 PM
...upthread.  Good on ye, Pam.  We are A... by waldopaper on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:13:48 PM
This came in as a message to me and it's a dif... by Rob Kall on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:50:14 PM
.  .  . but the idea that she was a set-... by Dana Pico on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:53:50 PM
I didn't say she was a setup. I said they used... by Rob Kall on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:27:57 PM
knowing that it was not a set up, you go on to cas... by fou on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:55:42 PM
...there are a thousand Haleys... all victims of t... by waldopaper on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:41:23 PM
uh huh.... by ibrahim turner on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:57:17 PM
I personally don't like Spitzer because h... by Gary Denson on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 4:00:15 PM
Rob, I condemn your use of the word prostitute.&nb... by Lover of Truth on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 4:09:00 PM
Girls and women grow up in a world of double stand... by Linda Milazzo on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 4:37:31 PM
First let's get it straight with terminology a... by aberamsay on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 4:57:12 PM
If you want to rage about people making money ille... by Mr M on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:16:48 PM
He has rather frequently!... by Kenneth Barr on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:23:09 AM
Everyone except Rob take a deep breath. It only a... by Leslie Radford on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:19:06 PM
...Dupree is sewing her scarlet letter into a badg... by waldopaper on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:39:35 PM
said what i was trying to say better and in fewer ... by Leslie Radford on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:40:55 PM
Married men who don't go to prostitutes are st... by John Hanks on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:42:46 PM
Now THAT'S "keepin' it REAL."&nb... by waldopaper on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:27:33 PM
in every possible way.Leslie Radford you have not ... by coyote on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:03:07 PM
let the Girl earn the next 80K standing up....What... by Michael Morris on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:59:27 PM
I have read all of the posts in the other thread, ... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:22:19 PM
the word liar is much more tame than the W word, b... by john riggs on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:24:50 AM
You seem not to have taken cognizance of how Spitz... by Bill Samuel on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:21:29 PM
Are we all really having this pedantic argument of... by Frank J. Ranelli on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:23:23 PM
No, no cries of hypocrisy for someone who carefull... by Leslie Radford on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:26:40 PM
as a fellow writer and editor, it's mystifying... by Cheryl Biren on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:31:15 PM
No one has mentioned on here from my quick, rather... by Constance Lavender on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:15:03 PM
and if you want to call the male prostitute that w... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:38:40 PM
Cheryl, I am not going to engage in a battle of se... by Frank J. Ranelli on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:15:49 PM
for the lecture frank.... by Cheryl Biren on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:14:52 PM
Cheryl, Based on the number of comments you have p... by Frank J. Ranelli on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:08:39 PM
Based on the number of comments you have posted on... by Cheryl Biren on Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:31:57 PM
Since I believe most of our "sex" laws a... by Kenneth Barr on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:21:36 AM
How strange that while dozens of US, Iraqi and pro... by Rick Blair on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:39:58 AM
All this woman did was answer a business call and ... by Michael Price on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:53:09 AM
While y'all argue about "whores," th... by Constance Lavender on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:33:47 AM
Out of everyone involved, this girl was the only o... by John Danforth on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:34:49 AM
What bothers me is that OEN has lost one very... by Keith Fisher on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:03:41 AM
So now that I've read your article revamp I st... by Pam Ladds on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:44:12 AM
I am having difficulty developing an opinion. The... by Bernard on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:33:48 PM
Wow. Misogynistic language like this is a huge tu... by z on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:54:14 PM
You are correct Spitzer of all people was just pla... by Rick Burrows on Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:59:22 PM
As a New Yorker, I've been witness to man... by Dave McCallister on Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:45:35 AM
Rob, I have to commend you on this particular arti... by steve scheetz on Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:26:11 AM