Dear Progressives: Organize or Squabble, Which Is It?

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

There is an enormous chasm forming among liberals, progressives, and leftists, and the reason why is obvious.

A quick perusal of the comments sections on many recent articles here at OpEd News demonstrates that traditional Democrats and more progressive or liberal leaning activists are no longer in agreement about the way forward for the United States. The primary reason for the lack of coherence in the movement to undo what Bush Co. have done can be laid squarely at the feet of the Democrats in Congress. They're hesitance to move forward with articles of impeachment have infuriated the left.

This obvious fact has apparently still not sunken in with the myopic congressional Democrats. They think that Bush Co. will destroy itself without any help from them. Yet history shows that the electorate rewards strong words followed by strong actions, and rejects weakness and capitulation when important principles are at stake.

There is also a history lesson that progressive activists should consider taking home as well. That lesson is that the Republican Party got where it did by holding together a tenuous coalition of completely disparate political groups including evangelicals, libertarians, corporate CEOs, and redneck Joe six-packs. These people not only have nothing in common, they would probably kill each other if locked in the same room for several hours.

I still feel that Democrats and progressives/liberals/leftists have far more in common than the Republican Party's factions do. What they don't have is organization. Instead we have many disorganized political and issue groups.

The Republican Party has never been in more disarray in my lifetime. This is the best opportunity that liberals and progressives have had in recent memory to crush the corporate controlled power structure that the Republicans have built up since the 1980s. But it is not going to happen if Democrats, liberals, progressives, and leftists spend as much time as they have been squabbling with each other rather than organizing and moving forward.

I am astounded at how much disarray the left is displaying now. If we can’t rally at times of such threat to our democracy, and instead argue back and forth about how we need a third party, then we will never take back the country. The Republicans didn’t take control by squabbling, they took control by organizing.

If you really are interested in taking the country back from the corporate puppet masters, then I urge that we start organizing far better than we have to date. If liberals and progressives organize well enough and early enough in the election process, they can shift the debate, and even make a huge difference as to which candidate we nominate to run for president. Don't like Hillary Clinton? Then organize to help Dennis Kucinich get the nomination. I’m with you. Don’t like corporate-loving Democrats? Then work to nominate someone who does not have such strong corporate ties. Think a third party candidate can win? Then you’d better start organizing right now, rather than arguing.

What I would like to see in response to this post is a series of suggestions for improving organization, and a list of candidates and issues that we can support. If a majority of responses are about how Democrats have failed us, with no suggestions for actually fixing the situation offered, then I’m afraid that we are doomed to more of the same.

John R. Moffett PhD is a research neuroscientist in the Washington, DC area. Dr. Moffett's main area of research focuses on the brain metabolite N-acetylaspartate, and an associated genetic disorder known as Canavan disease.

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags

Are Dogs Carnivores?

Was it Nanotech-Thermite or Phasers that took down the WTC?

President Obama's Complete Dismissal of the Progressive Agenda

Is Your Computer Ready for the Confiker Virus on April 1st?

The Real Swine Flu Conspiracy

Comments

Either it has to be a  demand for trial of 9/... by Mark Sashine on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:08:54 AM
But I think that going after one of Bush's cri... by John R Moffett on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:28:24 AM
have a look at the www.antiwar.com. They are conse... by Mark Sashine on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:57:13 AM
stopping the SPP, the next steps they are taking t... by ladybroadoak on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 1:57:59 AM
John Moffett--Thank you for your article about the... by KCBob on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:51:08 AM
I am one of those alienated. After more than 350 l... by Professor Emeritus Peter Bagnolo on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 12:04:48 PM
I agree. But I also think that all the work of pro... by John R Moffett on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 12:33:32 PM
for trying to initiate it. At the same time, ... by Richard Mynick on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 1:34:09 PM
I was hoping to hear from... by John R Moffett on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 1:57:47 PM
I agree with you both for different reasons. I thi... by Professor Emeritus Peter Bagnolo on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 2:02:43 PM
The tortoise won the race, so I still take heart t... by John R Moffett on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 2:14:42 PM
You have touched on the two great poverties of our... by Todd Huffman, M.D. on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 3:21:36 PM
Let's break that down:what is needed is cooper... by Blue Pilgrim on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 4:42:34 PM
You’re exactly right. One initial move that ... by John R Moffett on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 5:59:49 PM
Mark, Robert, Pete, John, Rich and Blue, &nbs... by Sheila Jackson on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 6:16:35 PM
Keep up the great work. Even if your congressperso... by John R Moffett on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 6:06:11 AM
I will keep everyone posted as to how my efforts t... by Sheila Jackson on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 9:00:53 PM
Talked to Inglis' appointment guy in DC today.... by Sheila Jackson on Monday, Jul 30, 2007 at 4:43:01 PM
at http://www.ilcpj.org/actions/ This is a ma... by Blue Pilgrim on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 7:50:16 PM
I agree with you.  First post here.  Kinda intim... by CamusRebel on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:11:48 PM
Ask people to contact their politicians. Put a nam... by Blue Pilgrim on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:42:11 PM
Camus,     Call Cummings offic... by Sheila Jackson on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:15:41 PM
Building an Anti-Slavery Movement (right here... by Kathlyn Stone on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 9:54:24 PM
I’ve been a member of the ANSWER Coalition f... by John R Moffett on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 7:22:46 AM
into the great discussion taking place on this thr... by Kathlyn Stone on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 7:17:55 AM
A lot of good ideas, but what is missing is how to... by Albert Wight on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:02:30 PM
I've collected some stuff on organizing the in... by Blue Pilgrim on Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:24:54 PM
I agree that meetings with no purpose or direction... by Albert Wight on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 12:11:16 AM
Yes, but unlike the Republicans, our “centra... by John R Moffett on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 7:06:48 AM
I agree - we need to stick together. But do you re... by RCG on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 2:01:08 AM
That's what I was asking for... new tactics. A... by John R Moffett on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 6:26:13 AM
and THAT is to stop the SPP! and build that moveme... by ladybroadoak on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 2:07:46 AM
John, that's not going to happen because the sites... by RCG on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:37:38 AM
Kos is a gatekeeper as far as I''m concern... by Blue Pilgrim on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:29:42 AM
RCG: I am not at all sure what you are referring t... by Albert Wight on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 12:18:50 PM
I have to say that the above comments ( I say it w... by Mark Sashine on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 2:21:43 PM
...then I read this, "Obviously, rcg doesn... by RCG on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 2:54:25 PM
First we need some sort of 'vision' statem... by Blue Pilgrim on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 6:21:46 PM
Proposed Vision Statement and supportive actions.&... by Sheila Jackson on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:51:55 PM
I'm on board with that! Who's next?... by RCG on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 6:30:29 PM
Get off your asses and get the f*ck out in&nb... by CamusRebel on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:43:06 PM
Camus,I have been demonstrating against the war ev... by Sheila Jackson on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:06:12 PM
not recently because my health doesn't permit ... by Blue Pilgrim on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 12:16:48 AM
THoughts after midnight. Vision is essential, foll... by Rob Kall on Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:39:32 PM
@Rob Kall "Don't let old-timers who are b... by RCG on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 1:11:59 AM
One last comment. Looks like John isn’t seri... by Albert Wight on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:08:19 AM
@OldVet- RCG, what you interpret as an insult is a... by RCG on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:35:35 AM
RCG, I doubt that you and I would ever be able to ... by Albert Wight on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 1:25:47 PM
Oh sure oldvet, we can communicate. If you want to... by RCG on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 4:40:47 PM
you kids can squabble in the back seat if you must... by Blue Pilgrim on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 6:54:15 PM
Pilgrim, You write... The politicians wa... by Sheila Jackson on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 8:50:37 PM
Blue Pilgrim,Right on. But someone needs to do it.... by Albert Wight on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 8:51:50 PM
for my childish ranting earlier.  I know we all a... by CamusRebel on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 9:59:17 PM
shout out like a lunatic on occasion too, just so ... by Blue Pilgrim on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:14:29 PM
is surely part of what we need. I've read Lako... by Blue Pilgrim on Saturday, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:56:13 PM
This all sounds good, but I am afraid it would tak... by Albert Wight on Sunday, Jul 29, 2007 at 1:19:44 PM
You Do things by involving people in actions, and ... by Blue Pilgrim on Sunday, Jul 29, 2007 at 3:35:31 PM
 You said: I've tried to use short w... by Sheila Jackson on Monday, Jul 30, 2007 at 8:59:17 PM
Liberals and progressives must contact the Congres... by Swami Bogananda on Sunday, Jul 29, 2007 at 1:52:05 PM
since so much money comes from corporate sources a... by Blue Pilgrim on Sunday, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:11:14 PM