The American public, out of indifference, laziness, and fear of being independent, apparently vote into office anyone that promises them handouts. And that's how infidels get into office.
I, personally, am somewhat guilty of what I say above. Up until 15 years ago I was totally indifferent as to what went on in government in this country. My excuse was that as an artist, I was not obliged to put in my two cents worth when it came to how our country is governed. But things have changed. We now have a country that - even though still the best on this planet - is, in some respects, (like in quality of education), beginning to be inferior to all others. It is still the best country in the world because of the 15% of the population that refuse to give up the only workable objective principles of life, like independence, individualism, creative selfishness, pride, personal integrity and honesty with the laws of life. These are the very virtues that the remaining 85% refuse to engage, for they want others to be responsible for them and give them free handouts.
And so in view of the sad condition of this country - indeed, the world - I, as an educator/artist found it my pleasurable selfish duty to take up my "arms" to help defend freedom and independence. Those arms are my teaching, writing and speaking. The great Spanish cellist, Pablo Casals spoke of his cello as his weapon as he used it against the dictator Franco.
Associating with a group
As one begins to speak his/her mind, one prefers to be part of a group of like understanding and credence. But even in such a group one must maintain his independence and individuality. I wanted to find such a group, and I joined many. But, as good as they were, they didn't consider doing anything about the condition of our country and the world. They followed the old maxim that "if one frees himself, the world will be free." Now, this is true, and will work eventually after thousands of years. But this is too long. Thousands die unnecessarily every year from stupid wars and crime. What I was looking for was a philosophical group that took direct action in the present political arena with the intention of changing it from the fiasco it is now to a small government meriting respect and admiration. Parties like the Democrats and Republicans seemed to me like old folks' clubs. What could I be part of? Then I discovered the Libertarian Party and the Cosmopolitan Party. These parties incorporated all the philosophical and practical issues I was looking for. The Cosmopolitan Party was founded by David Hunter and is in its birth. Contact them at, www.cosmopolitanparty.com The Libertarian Party has grown tremendously recently as a result of the present administration's stupidities and it is possible to have a Libertarian President. Access it at www.lp.org/action/join.html.
Call to arms to all artists
Throughout history artists were always the innovators in the society. They were ahead of the populace. And they always lifted society with great aesthetical principles. It has been only in the past 50 years that artists began bringing down society. Politicians brought it down also. So it is of great importance that we reverse this trend before the country goes up in smoke. Weather you are professional or amateur, if you engage in some art you are an artist. The expressions of your art are your arms. Begin today to use those arms to bring forth a better America. You can do it by speaking during your concerts and other performances. You can do it through the lyrics in your songs. You can do it through the Internet. Start your own website for self-promotion. You can have a free website up in one hour by accessing, www.freeservers.com. Start a mailing list today. Use it to promote your products and your progressive philosophies.
All this is a process of getting closer to a REALLY FREE America.
Copyright © 2003 by Gil Magno
Gil Magno Gilmagno1@netzero.net is a vocal coach in Coconut Grove, Florida. He is also a personal development consultant, as his school of teaching is called, "The Person behind the voice." He is a recording artist with music and poetry and also a self-published author. His books, Developing Confidence and Personal Magnetism, The Secret, and Transcending Their Lies, are responsible for life-changes in many of his students. He is a graduate of the Boston Conservatory of Music. Students all over the world study with him in person or through his best selling 2 DVD course, Magno Vocal Course #1. His Website