Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 7 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit 1 Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 1 (9 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Article Stats   61 comments

Who are the Leading, Top Progressives?

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags  (less...) Add to My Group(s)

Valuable 4   Must Read 3   Interesting 3

opednews.com Headlined to H1 5/10/12

Who are the leading progressives in America today?

I am working on another article, where I'm contacting leading progressives. As I went through the process of contacting some of the people I consider leading progressives who I have emails for, I did some research and some googling. There's not that much out there and the lists I found were not very satisfying. They listed big media people-- MSNBC hosts, Michael Moore,-- but left out activists.

So I'm going to you for your help.

Now, my goal is to identify living progressive, as opposed to liberal leaders. As part of my goal, I'd like your thoughts on what's the difference between a progressive and a liberal. Some people have been pretty critical of liberals, like Chris Hedges, in his book, Death Of The Liberal Class.

Some people classed as liberals, rather than progressives, are leaders of Moveon, Van Jones. What do you think?

Who are the progressives you think of when you think of progressive leaders?

Please list them in a comment, and, if possible include a link to their website or something written by or about them.

My list of progressives I've already written to includes:

Thom Hartmann,  Noam Chomsky, Jane Hamsher,    Danny Schechter,   Kevin Zeese,  Kevin Gosztola (a leading under 25 progressive-- any more suggestions for younguns?),  John Nichols,  Cindy Sheehan  (these have already replied and I'll be using their responses in my article. I'll be updating the responder list as responses come in.) and Markos Moulitsas,  Margaret Flowers, Daniel Ellsberg, Chris Hedges, Glen Ford, Glenn Greenwald,, Katrina Vanden Heuvel, Medea Benjamin, Jodie Evans, Debra Sweet,, Naomi Wolf, Naomi Klein, David Swanson, Ray McGovern, Ann Wright, Rocky Anderson, Rabbi Michael Lerner, Rabbi Arthur Waskow, Greg Palast.

There are others on my list, Like Ralph Nader, but I don't have their emails and this is a list of people I've written to.

One aspect of my exploration is I want to ask these people the difference between liberal and progressive.

So, please help me out with your favorite progressives, as compared to liberals.  And what's your take on the difference between liberals and progressives?

Many progressive leaders Protesting at the WhiteHouse Gate by Rob Kall

top row: Dan Ellsberg, Ray McGovern, Chris Hedges, Margaret Flowers (face turned away)

next row: Debra Sweet, Medea Benjamin, Jodie Evans ((face turned away)

Rob Kall is editor-in-chief, publisher and site architect of OpEdNews.com, President of Futurehealth, Inc, and an inventor. He hosts the Rob Kall Bottom Up Radio Show, aired in the Metro Philly area on AM 1360, WNJC. Over 200 podcasts are archived for downloading here, or can be accessed from iTunes. Rob is also published regularly on the Huffingtonpost.com

Rob Kall Wikipedia Page

Rob is, with Opednews.com the first media winner of the Pillar Award for supporting Whistleblowers and the first amendment.

See more Rob Kall articles here and, older ones, here. To learn more about Rob and OpEdNews.com, check out A Voice For Truth - ROB KALL | OM Times Magazine and this article. For Rob's work in non-political realms mostly before 2000, see his C.V..  and here's an article on the Storycon Summit Meeting he founded and organized for eight years. Press coverage in the Wall Street Journal: Party's Left Pushes for a Seat at the Table

Here is a one hour radio interview where Rob was a guest- on Envision This, and here is the transcript.

To watch Rob having a lively conversation with John Conyers, then Chair of the House Judiciary committee, click hereWatch Rob speaking on Bottom up economics at the Occupy G8 Economic Summit, here.

Follow Rob on Twitter & Facebook. His quotes are here

My articles express my personal opinion, not the opinion of this website.

A Conspiracy Conspiracy Theory

Terrifying Video: "I Don't Need a Warrant, Ma'am, Under Federal Law"

Cindy Sheehan Bugged in Denver

Ray McGovern Discusses Brutal Arrest at Secretary Clinton's Internet Freedom Speech

Libertarian Legacy? Ron Paul's Campaign Manager, 49, Dies Uninsured, Of Pneumonia, Leaving family $400,000 Debt

Interview: McCain Fellow Hanoi Hilton POW & Naval Academy Dorm-mate; Why He Won't Vote For McCain

Comments

Who do you think of as a progressive leader?... by Rob Kall on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 10:59:03 AM
the people so that they can secure justice?  ... by Mark Adams JD/MBA on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 5:39:53 PM
includes Markos Moulitsas?  Then why not incl... by Kristine Hoggatt on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 12:32:34 PM
http://www.voterocky.org and as per your interview... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 12:59:25 PM
... but I've gotten the general impression that th... by PCM on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:49:04 PM
John Trudell - Aim leader, philospher, activist, p... by Poor old Dirt farmer on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 12:52:11 PM
mentioned David.... by intotheabyss on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:05:50 PM
No question - Ralph Nader for his decades of anti-... by Kent Welton on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:00:18 PM
Brave New Films?http://www.bravenewfilms.org/He se... by intotheabyss on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:04:36 PM
I don't like political labels. I find them di... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:13:40 PM
Dan, my simpleton definition of the two until I kn... by Gary Brumback on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:49:47 PM
You should add David Cobb of Move to Amend (www.mo... by Steve Justino on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:20:29 PM
Rob, I'm glad you are doing this. I plan on writin... by Gary Brumback on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:41:21 PM
that a democrat president and congress would be al... by zon moy on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 7:52:56 AM
Dave Degraw, Joe Bageant (deceased), Matt Taibbi, ... by Denny Chericone on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:44:46 PM
What about Cenk Uygur of the Young Turks, or Ellio... by Erik Ramsey on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:48:58 PM
who has aided in the coverup of 9/11 truth by supp... by larry payne on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:55:48 PM
Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez of DemocracyNow!....... by Paul Getty on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 3:08:42 PM
I think that you need to be willing to help Global... by manifesto 2000 on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 5:35:53 PM
attempts by ordinary citizens to expose the crimes... by larry payne on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 8:04:49 PM
Besides, I thought this was about finding progress... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 9:44:41 PM
Yeah what is up with his donation to Obama for $1 ... by Joanne on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 1:41:12 PM
from the list, let me suggest adding Alan Grayson ... by larry payne on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 2:20:51 PM
He has been pushing many to open up and tell what ... by Paul Getty on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 3:21:03 PM
Mike Gravel . . . who read the Pentagon papers int... by larry payne on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:02:16 PM
then add in Libby Davies and Niki Ashton, two of t... by B. Ross Ashley on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 2:28:06 PM
I became absolutely impressed with Thomas Mulcair... by manifesto 2000 on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 9:09:00 PM
Despite the baggage that has been hung on him for ... by John Sanchez Jr. on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 3:04:59 PM
You really need to work on your site Rob so that s... by Tim Sanders on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 3:10:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Senator Bernie ... by Arlen Grossman on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 3:19:32 PM
I agree with your nomination of Sen. Bernie Sander... by James Hadstate on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:37:25 PM
Better do a little more research on Sanders and hi... by Denny Chericone on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 11:51:45 PM
I am sure that this is going to sound very condesc... by James Hadstate on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:15:48 PM
There can't be any "leading" progressives. Othe... by Charlene Richards on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:32:25 PM
Rocky is on the ballot in 45 states and is definit... by Rob Kall on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:03:45 PM
It was a teaser lead-in to get your attention.Unfo... by larry payne on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:34:27 PM
this out yet, as I'm "polishing" it up presently, ... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 9:03:42 PM
We need to get more people to go to Rocky's site a... by Joanne on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 1:51:30 PM
Neoliberal vs. progressive might be a more useful ... by PCM on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:43:13 PM
Jim Hightower has taken on the demons of  Tex... by jaydo on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 5:32:38 PM
Mike MalloyDave Marsh ... by Thomas Brown on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 5:49:35 PM
Michael Hastings... by Thomas Brown on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 6:19:53 PM
Greg Palast author of "The Best Democracy Money Ca... by intotheabyss on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 7:52:17 PM
... by Eric on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 7:52:56 PM
He was an assistant to LBJ during JFK's assassinat... by larry payne on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 9:23:29 AM
Or Max Keiser and Stacey Herbert over at RT.... by David Smith on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:05:07 PM
Can't believe almost nobody mentioned Dennis Kucin... by Don Smith on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:08:40 PM
But I see he was mentioned above.Jon Stewart and S... by David Smith on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:15:14 PM
Gavin Newsom deserves a mention... by David Smith on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:18:21 PM
Webster Tarpley; progressive Tarpley.net he's supp... by Johnny Garza on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 10:29:51 PM
The sole voice on OPEDNEWS who really knows how to... by David Chester on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 3:12:08 AM
Progressive is a type of Liberal, we are closely r... by Jim Ramelis on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 6:32:06 AM
Jim - yours is the most historically precise diffe... by manifesto 2000 on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 12:34:57 AM
Thanks manifesto 2000, I have to give thanks to th... by Jim Ramelis on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:55:58 PM
You should include anyone connected with the devel... by Robert Bostick on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 11:30:41 AM
of Russ Baker?... by intotheabyss on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 11:41:17 AM
David Ray Griffin, Michael Ruppert, Col. Bob Bowma... by larry payne on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 4:37:58 PM
a true American hero.To learn more, go to http://w... by Paul Getty on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 5:45:31 PM
I'm sorry but I could not find a broadly accepted ... by BravoBull on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 6:06:58 PM
Caesar Chavez http://www.ufw.org/, Robert Kennedy ... by Michael Shaw on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:55:50 AM
Thank you John for pointing him out. What a godsen... by Michael Shaw on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 11:11:47 AM