Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 12 (12 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   47 comments

Walk Away From the Health Reform Bill

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 2 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Well Said 4   Must Read 3   Valuable 2

opednews.com Headlined to H1 12/26/09

House progressives should simply walk away from this bill that's in conference. People who say accept what we've been offered don't have the negotiator chops to make the call.

Just walk away.

Imagine paying $100 for a store brand loaf of white bread. That's what the senate is asking us to do.

I learned about walking away from a deal in morocco, back in 1973. There, in the souks where tourists and locals buy goods, the vendors expect you to haggle. The vendors expect to rip off the most naive tourists, so they start off asking an outrageously high price. This happened to me when I was looking at a tapestry.

"How much," I asked.

"Eight hundred dirhams," he replied, about $200.00.

I knew my brother had bought one of these for $20 or $30 in the states, so I took a deep breath and offered ten dirhams, $2.50, and laughed.

He looked at me like I was crazy, so I started to walk away, as I'd done on numerous other occasions on my one month, post college graduation trip to Morocco.

"I give you special price-- 400 dirhams," he called to me.

"You insult me," I replied. "I'll give you 15 Dirhams," turned to see his response, then kept walking.

"Wait, wait. two hundred. Is very good price." He tried again.

I turned again towards him. "My brother bought one of these in the US. I know what it's worth. I'll give you 20 dirhams," I said.

"I have a wife and four children," he opined. "One hundred Dirhams. You take, yes?"

I walked again.

After a few more exchanges, I finally bought the tapestry for 40 dirhams-- ten dollars, a fortieth of the price he'd originally asked But I'd been ready to walk and did start walking several times. Just because he told me he was giving me a good deal didn't cut it. His offers had sucked. They had been insanely unreasonably initially.

I've been self employed as a freelance writer or entrepeneur since 1980, almost 30 years. I don't take the offered price as THE price. I almost always ask if they can do better. I often shop for better prices and often inform my potential suppliers that I am shopping. This is what business people do to survive. It's not what you gross. It's what you keep. You have to cut good deals every time to make a living.

Next Page  1  |  2

Rob Kall has spent his adult life as an awakener and empowerer-- first in the field of biofeedback, inventing products, developing software and a music recording label, MuPsych, within the company he founded in 1978-- Futurehealth, and founding, organizing and running 3 conferences: Winter Brain, on Neurofeedback and consciousness, Optimal Functioning and Positive Psychology (a pioneer in the field of Positive Psychology, first presenting workshops on it in 1985) and Storycon Summit Meeting on the Art Science and Application of Story-- each the first of their kind.  Then, when he found the process of raising people's consciousness and empowering them to take more control of their lives  one person at a time was too slow, he founded Opednews.com-- which has been the top search result on Google for the terms liberal news and progressive opinion for several years. Rob began his Bottom-up Radio show, broadcast on WNJC 1360 AM to Metro Philly, also available on iTunes, covering the transition of our culture, business and world from predominantly Top-down (hierarchical, centralized, authoritarian, patriarchal, big)  to bottom-up (egalitarian, local, interdependent, grassroots, archetypal feminine and small.) Recent long-term projects include a book, Bottom-up-- The Connection Revolution, debillionairizing the planet and the Psychopathy Defense and Optimization Project.

Rob Kall Wikipedia Page

Over 200 podcasts are archived for downloading here, or can be accessed from iTunes. Rob is also (more...)

A Conspiracy Conspiracy Theory

Terrifying Video: "I Don't Need a Warrant, Ma'am, Under Federal Law"

Ray McGovern Discusses Brutal Arrest at Secretary Clinton's Internet Freedom Speech

Cindy Sheehan Bugged in Denver

Libertarian Legacy? Ron Paul's Campaign Manager, 49, Dies Uninsured, Of Pneumonia, Leaving family $400,000 Debt

Interview: McCain Fellow Hanoi Hilton POW & Naval Academy Dorm-mate; Why He Won't Vote For McCain

Comments

It forces millions to buy 'insurance' w/ nothing t... by Better World Order on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:39:05 AM
You throw numbers quoted by others without direct ... by BFalcon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:10:58 AM
the progressives know what they want. And they don... by Mark Sashine on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:29:25 PM
But why not throw in few good things and negotiate... by BFalcon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:32:55 AM
You still hold on to this working within the syste... by mikel paul on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:47:20 PM
medicare and medicaid, and while we are at it, the... by Steven Leser on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 5:04:15 PM
My Dear Steve. Please. We ARE NOT WALKING AWAY FRO... by mikel paul on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 5:55:58 PM
What do you think? Is it worth trying because it's... by Kevin Gosztola on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 8:58:30 PM
pejorative. Thus, I cannot answer.... by Steven Leser on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 3:38:31 AM
So I take it you enjoy Karl Marx over Ayn Rand? Is... by Jesse Mathewson on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:31:28 AM
If progressives vote to support this flawed bill t... by Don Smith on Saturday, Dec 26, 2009 at 8:11:11 PM
The US government can inflict economic death on an... by Jason Paz on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:15:30 AM
Yes, let us walk very rapidly away from this corpo... by Perry Logan on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 6:09:42 AM
I thought George W was bad, but he is far worse. O... by dianeb 1123398992 on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:08:06 AM
The neocons (and their former "compassionate conse... by BFalcon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:20:33 AM
...from there on in, it was so much easier for pol... by Bia Winter on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:44:52 AM
Most comments made here are sound. Steve, to be mo... by Dennis Kaiser on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:40:16 AM
This is the necessary first step: Reform the very ... by Bia Winter on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:50:41 AM
Why am I the only one left that actually reads the... by Jesse Mathewson on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:27:26 AM
Please walk away if you like being Congressmen! (a... by Jesse Mathewson on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:33:54 AM
But who is willing?... by BFalcon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:31:00 AM
I very much want the progressives to walk away fro... by Dana Pico on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:41:22 AM
Everyone knows this is all scripted and there will... by Joel Myron on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:10:37 AM
But the bill is not good. However, in their demand... by BFalcon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:17:33 AM
And they are not (why should they). Time and again... by BFalcon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:27:37 AM
is unconstituitonal and if passed will not survive... by Mark Sashine on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 10:04:57 AM
By your analogy, Rob, it appears WE are the Rug Me... by Bia Winter on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:59:35 AM
Easy for a man with legs to walk awayOne bona fide... by Ed Tubbs on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 10:29:32 AM
Seriously? You have free health care. You don't ev... by Ed Buffey on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:07:37 PM
In this case, there's a cop standing next to the m... by Miriam Callaghan on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 10:54:16 AM
Our PROGRESSIVE members have no back bone. They sh... by August Adams on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:36:08 AM
Our PROGRESSIVE members have no back bone. They sh... by August Adams on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:36:09 AM
that is not affordable and good for the people the... by Janiece Senn on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:19:57 PM
Isn't it too late for this? All the news says this... by Ann Garrison on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:45:12 PM
As of today, Dec. 28, my understanding is it has y... by Maxwell on Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:07:26 AM
...a person, that "person" could walk away. But, u... by Terry Adcock on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 2:14:45 PM
This is so ridiculous. We bargained away the most ... by sandy valencour on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 2:25:43 PM
THEN, let's start helping (contributing) to ACLU s... by shirley reese on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 4:18:26 PM
...all except for one thing: the figure 60. Lieber... by kibitzer2 on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 5:50:29 PM
though I will say it's better than nothing with no... by Michael Shaw on Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:11:12 PM
We need to come into the 21st century and create a... by Steve Moyer on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:38:04 PM
Open source governance is an interesting concept, ... by Michael Shaw on Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:37:07 PM
I couldn't agree more. Some people are saying take... by Maxwell on Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:10:44 AM
If we kill this bill we will never, I repeat, neve... by Michael Shaw on Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:32:24 PM
It is time for change. We need to reform Congress ... by David McKeever on Wednesday, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:15:08 PM
on reforming the contribution/lobbying system?... by BFalcon on Tuesday, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:38:11 PM
on reforming the contribution/lobbying system?... by BFalcon on Tuesday, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:38:53 PM