Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 2 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 7 (9 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   131 comments

Stop Calling the Iraq War a "Mistake"

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Well Said 9   Supported 9   Must Read 7

opednews.com Headlined to H1 6/17/14

Cross-posted from Huffington Post

From youtube.com/watch?v=qMt9_qgDfLE: Dennis Kucinich
Dennis Kucinich
(image by YouTube)
  DMCA

As Iraq descends into chaos again, more than a decade after "Mission Accomplished," media commentators and politicians have mostly agreed upon calling the war a "mistake." But the "mistake" rhetoric is the language of denial, not contrition: it minimizes the Iraq War's disastrous consequences, removes blame, and deprives Americans of any chance to learn from our generation's foreign policy disaster. The Iraq War was not a "mistake" -- it resulted from calculated deception. The painful, unvarnished fact is that we were lied to. Now is the time to have the willingness to say that.

In fact, the truth about Iraq was widely available, but it was ignored. There were no WMD. Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11. The war wasn't about liberating the Iraqi people. I said this in Congress in 2002. Millions of people who marched in America in protest of the war knew the truth, but were maligned by members of both parties for opposing the president in a time of war -- and even leveled with the spurious charge of "not supporting the troops."

I've written and spoken widely about this topic, so today I offer two ways we can begin to address our role:

1) President Obama must tell us the truth about Iraq and the false scenario that caused us to go to war.

When Obama took office in 2008, he announced that his administration would not investigate or prosecute the architects of the Iraq War. Essentially, he suspended public debate about the war. That may have felt good in the short term for those who wanted to move on, but when you're talking about a war initiated through lies, bygones can't be bygones.

The unwillingness to confront the truth about the Iraq War has induced a form of amnesia which is hazardous to our nation's health. Willful forgetting doesn't heal, it opens the door to more lying. As today's debate ensues about new potential military "solutions" to stem violence in Iraq, let's remember how and why we intervened in Iraq in 2003.

2) Journalists and media commentators should stop giving inordinate air and print time to people who were either utterly wrong in their support of the war or willful in their calculations to make war.

By and large, our Fourth Estate accepted uncritically the imperative for war described by top administration officials and congressional leaders. The media fanned the flames of war by not giving adequate coverage to the arguments against military intervention.

President Obama didn't start the Iraq War, but he has the opportunity now to tell the truth. That we were wrong to go in. That the cause of war was unjust. That more problems were created by military intervention than solved. That the present violence and chaos in Iraq derives from the decision which took America to war in 2003. More than a decade later, it should not take courage to point out the Iraq war was based on lies.

Follow Dennis on Facebook: www.facebook.com/denniskucinich

Dennis Kucinich is former US Congressman and two-time presidential candidate from Ohio who served 16 years in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Visit his website at  KucinichAction

Follow him on Twitter at @Dennis_Kucinich

Kucinich: "Passing a weak bill today gives us weak environmental policy tomorrow"-

Kucinich: Why I Voted NO

Must Read!!! Kucinich Commencement Speech: Power of Now

A New Movement: Health Care as a Civil Right

The Real Reason We Are Bombing Syria

Kucinich Opposes Bailout, asks, "Is this the US Congress or the board of directors of Goldman Sachs?"

Comments

Thank you, Dennis! ... by Meryl Ann Butler on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:49:39 PM
Meryl Ann and anyone else interested om cutting th... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:50:21 PM
Daniel--You and others attempting to reason with B... by Carmen Yarrusso on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:08:40 PM
Yes, it is foolish to argue with fools. I am actua... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:27:30 PM
And so now I am a fool for believing Saddam had WM... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:53:24 PM
I can not believe what I am reading. Why would Den... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:31:15 PM
From the same book and article on the book:A littl... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:38:15 PM
For any person to accept the lie that Saddam did n... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:51:08 PM
Saddam did have WMDs. Back when he was a US ally ... by Samson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:31:03 PM
So chemical weapons loaded into SCUDs' is not what... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:55:18 PM
Has his information been verified by an outside so... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:30:31 AM
Of course not. And it directly contradicts ever... by Samson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:36:21 PM
I do not appreciate being called a liar when I am ... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:43:37 PM
You may want to consider reading the following thi... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:48:44 PM
I have not lied shoebox James!I am offering a diff... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:03:59 PM
"shoebox james"According to Urban Dictionary: sh... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:19:23 PM
You apparently got the wrong definition of shoebox... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:15:09 PM
mmm hmmm. ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24:01 PM
If you are not then lying, then you aren't able to... by Gary Williams on Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:04:41 AM
You could not be more wrong!! ... by David Weaver on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:46:37 AM
And you have based your opinion on what evidence?S... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:38:08 PM
Yes, Bill, we should turn to Israel for truth, sin... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:45:02 PM
To anyone who actually forgot what the Iraq War wa... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:06:38 PM
Yet another supporter of Bill Johnson: click here ... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:10:47 PM
Daniel, it is one thing to provide evidence and qu... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:43:43 PM
Bill: I spent considerable time looking at your s... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:48:33 PM
You are right about no one listening to words. Eve... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:33:50 PM
In the interest of time, could you steer me direct... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:33:19 PM
Well they are scattered across the web.www.army.mi... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:16:17 PM
An airplane, even a jet like this one, does not eq... by Gary Williams on Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:20:54 AM
I usually refrain from responding to the crazies, ... by Hosea McAdoo on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:53:05 PM
Teaching elementary school for a quarter of a deca... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:31:03 PM
So now I am a fool, I am crazy and I am a lot of b... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:18:36 PM
Your "evidence" is unsupported and based on others... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:45:29 PM
Again, you are dead wrong! And simply too blind to... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:21:20 PM
Yes, and that would be your first mistake. What tu... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:37:42 PM
Not if they were trying to hide something.Is it po... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:01:51 PM
"Your words can not take away any truth from the i... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18:22 PM
"I second that emotion""😄 ... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33:07 PM
Can I third it back at you's guys?I am really tryi... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:03:09 PM
The war launched by government leaders in 2003 aga... by Lance Ciepiela on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:26:35 PM
Right on, Lance. AND rest assured I have been thin... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:37:27 PM
I actually HATE Dennis myself! He is a war-mongeri... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:09:50 AM
You are right, Dan. His acute intelligence, compa... by Meryl Ann Butler on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:38:16 AM
Thanks, Meryl. Whenever Dennis spoke, it seemed he... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:36:28 AM
Absolutely right. ... by Michael David Morrissey on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:31:25 AM
I mean of course Kucinich, not Bill Johnson! ... by Michael David Morrissey on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:33:45 AM
Again what do you base your opinion on?Do you have... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:41:17 PM
A most thoughtful article from a man who has serve... by Shirley Braverman on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:35:08 AM
Dennis Kucinich's basic premise, that we must st... by Patrick Walker on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:26:35 AM
I should correct myself on one thing: Kucinich's... by Patrick Walker on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:57:40 AM
I think we already know very well what they stand ... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:06:56 AM
Progressive Democrats are oximorons. ... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:09:51 AM
Paul, As anyone who reads me often en... by Patrick Walker on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:39:53 AM
Your message in this comment are outrageously corr... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:01:26 AM
"As I've always said impeachment if off the table"... by Lance Ciepiela on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:14:13 PM
More importantly, it's long past time for Democrat... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:50:03 AM
Thank you Patrick. ... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:56:05 AM
Patrick, what about an occupy for a Sanders/Kucini... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:46:43 PM
You know... I am now over 50 years old. And I have... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20:35 AM
Bill, WMD were in Iraq and it is correct that we a... by Mary B Newkirk on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:24:21 AM
I have not seen nor heard any evidence that Saddam... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:52:55 AM
Nonsense. You're extended replies are supported o... by Michael Collins on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:34:01 PM
No he did not. As I proved in my 2004 book, IRAQ W... by Eric Zuesse on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:06:53 PM
Dennis K is also one of the very few politicians ... by Neal Herrick on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:49:55 PM
If Saddam had WMD he would have used them against ... by Old Cat on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:04:24 PM
That is not necessarily true. Saddam could have be... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49:25 PM
We went to war with Iraq over WMDs? What kind of e... by Fernando Macias on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:22:55 PM
Dennis is always there for the people and the trut... by Michael Collins on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:27:22 PM
I think Dennis is using the word mistake in one wa... by Fernando Macias on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:33:31 PM
Mr. Kucinich please tell us why we did go to war w... by Fernando Macias on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:46:58 PM
If you want to ask Dennis Kucinich those questions... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:54:12 PM
If Warren does not run in the 2016 Democratic Pres... by Eric Zuesse on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:49:43 PM
I am still convinced Iraq had WMD: List of known I... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:17:44 PM
Your list ends in 1988. The US attacked Iraq in 2... by Kristine Hoggatt on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:09:46 PM
You are the third person to state only that Saddam... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:36:06 PM
If the presence of Dimethyl Sulfate was used in an... by Gary Williams on Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 8:07:05 PM
Feb. 5, 2010:They have been searching in Iraq for ... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:28:08 PM
If ever chemical is a WMD, then we should be bombi... by Samson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:42:56 PM
The only nonsense I have read so far is coming fro... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:04:59 PM
Are you saying you think that photo of a missile (... by Kristine Hoggatt on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:22:55 PM
It once was.And I am high on life! ... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:50:57 PM
I actually found these missiles myself:[[wmddg]]Th... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:03:54 AM
Daniel, I haven't laughed so hard while sitting at... by Jim Arnold on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:46:42 AM
LOL ... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 7:56:24 AM
How about "Agent Orange" and "Depleted Uranium"???... by Paul Repstock on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:29:13 PM
I'm fascinated to learn that Mr. Kucinich does not... by Samson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:41:27 PM
I believe the point Mr. Kucinich is making is that... by Kristine Hoggatt on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:39:10 PM
9/11 - "the people who knocked these buildings dow... by Lance Ciepiela on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:40:06 PM
Iraq war was a crime. No other opinions are valid... by Mark Sashine on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:50:12 PM
I agree 100% with you on this, Mark! ... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:26:17 PM
Dennis Kucinich is right about many things especi... by Ray Tapajna on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:52:27 PM
I know it hurts to be wrong, but you can not dispu... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:54:25 PM
It's long been reported in the media that neglecte... by Jim Arnold on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:47:35 PM
Jim, Saddam had the largest chemical weapons makin... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:28:48 PM
You might want to do some research regarding the s... by Kristine Hoggatt on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:47:23 PM
Next time, how about some of you actually read you... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:44:47 PM
I may need help with my position here, and I welco... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:39:03 AM
Late night and no sleep for past 24 hours, so igno... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:28:57 AM
Quoted from article: Why Bush and Blair Should B... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:25:25 AM
"Whatever he did to control that situation was, pe... by Meryl Ann Butler on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:23:31 AM
I would love to see a Sanders/Kucinich campaign fo... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:42:03 PM
Thanks Dennis! As usual you are right on. See... by takebackourcountry on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:15:17 PM
Why have so many wasted so much time arguing wit... by Patrick Walker on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:47:19 PM
Ill-informed people are those with closed minds wh... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:00:40 PM
The lies were so obvious that no Canadians and sur... by Simon Leigh on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:53:14 PM
According to Getty images (the owner of this image... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:56:39 PM
I also said this was from a UN inspection team tho... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:25:15 PM
Right on! You are so officious! You have proved h... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:43:54 AM
Thanks, Pal! And here's the way to do it: www.tine... by Meryl Ann Butler on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:26:17 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll use it, so saving your co... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:44:29 PM
With the war drums beating yet again, when emptied... by David Brittain on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 6:40:06 AM
Sheesh, David. You make a good point but I hope ... by Meryl Ann Butler on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:30:33 AM
I am about to lower the boom on you's guys! Stick ... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:38:41 PM
Bill you have entirely too much time on your hands... by Shirley Braverman on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:22:29 AM
Try to understand. For Saddam to have chemical wea... by Jim Arnold on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:28:52 AM
Now that we all know that yes indeed Saddam did in... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:10:42 AM
Oh my god! What have you democrats done now! I pre... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:40:58 PM
Before the US invaded, there was a stable regime a... by Jim Arnold on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:56:19 PM
Well, before you have apoplexy, let's see what a l... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 6:01:34 PM
You can downplay this all you want to, but if you ... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:11:02 PM
"And now they are returning to Iraq embedded insid... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:27:20 PM
The Dept of Defense report proved my point.If the ... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:42:12 PM
"The Dept of Defense report proved my point."Link?... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:52:28 PM
You missed my point. Generally speaking democrats ... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 9:21:36 PM
REPORT: ISIS Revives Saddam's Baath Party to Win S... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 9:27:43 PM
I'll take that under advisement, and give it the c... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 10:10:04 PM
Bill, all you're doing is making assertions withou... by Shirley Braverman on Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:28:39 PM
Bullsh*t!www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=... by Bill Johnson on Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:50:21 PM
True, but that was back in 2006. That's 8 years ag... by J. Edward Tremlett on Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 7:10:00 PM
Oooops, perhaps someone wants us to make another "... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:40:25 AM