Ordinarily, I seem to be glib while I kick the news media, as has become my habit in copies of my internet column. (The media? Aren't they the bent, craven, depraved crew of sock puppets, managed by a corrupt cabal? And of course, I work on a book manuscript called Genocidal Correctness....)
Well, something is qualitatively different today, and I take no pleasure in saying "I told you so." The key man who now occasions the disgrace of CNN (and the rest of America's MSM) is an individual named Lu Guoping. And, two more essential names in the story are David Kilgour and David Matas.
The occasion is to the disgrace of the media, because it is proving a central theme in my book: Genocide has been occurring in China, and America's MSM has been sweeping it under the rug. Somehow, I was thinking that my book might be fought off when released, as if it were a proposition simply from the temerity of John Kusumi. However, it now appears that my ringing indictment will also stand as a record of (unfortunately true) history.
The larger matter – that perhaps 40,000 people are dead – will be documented by many historians, and will stand as a black mark against the regime of Communist China, which is the first villain in this case.
As an aside, journalists pride themselves because they file "the first draft of history." What they too often forget is that historians file the later drafts of history, without the pressure to be politically correct in contemporary context. Historians can say things that, apparently, journalists can't.
It's time to review the crime, and the response – or lack of response. The crime is the forced harvesting of vital organs from prisoners of conscience – Falun Gong practitioners – in the gulags and prison system of Mainland China. These people, who shouldn't even be in prison to begin with, lose their lives in a process of organ harvesting, and the organs are transplanted into paying customers.
They may even still be alive as the organs are removed – they are selected, as healthy specimens, for just-in-time execution. It's diabolical. It combines theft with murder with profiteering. Capitalist types could note that it monetizes Falun Gong persecution. This is organized, systematic, machine-like evil through deliberately chosen policies of the Chinese government. The only comparable evil might be Nazi Germany's medical experiments, performed on unwitting prisoners in World War II.
There is plenty of gravity to this matter if it sinks in that this is real – a confirmed crime against humanity that may still be in progress. And, it happens in a context that has also gone unreported – the crackdown against Falun Gong in China. To be fair, it was reported back in 1999 when it began. To be accurate, it dropped out of the news after, late in 1999, U.S. President Bill Clinton signed a "free trade" deal with China.
As an aside, when did Bill Clinton ever say that we should be "trading away" our concern for human rights? He didn't! The deal was ostensibly about trade, and was not about human rights, per se. I believe that news media behavior was decided at the news media level, not the White House. In other words, sociopathic managing editors made their call and took the trade deal "to the next level" of sanitizing China's public image. If it were mine to arrange, I would have Nuremberg-style trials for Peter Jennings, Tom Brokaw, and Dan Rather – accessories to genocide, each.
Let's look beyond my aside, so that we can lay out a time table of notable occasions in my narrative.
Before the Organ Harvesting story
- 1999: Falun Gong persecution begins. Media covers it. Then, White House signs trade deal.
- 2000: Ted Koppel has three guests for it, and zero against it. Congress passes the trade deal.
- Each year since: News media dodges many stories emerging from the Falun Gong crackdown.
- 2003: This author gives a speech and coins the term "genocidal correctness."
- 2004: Anti-communist Falun Gong related newspaper, the Epoch Times, debuts in English.
- 2005: People begin quitting the Communist Party in droves. CNN dodges the story.
The Organ Harvesting story
- March 9, 2006: The Epoch Times breaks the story of forced organ harvesting at a facility called Sujiatun (in Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, China).
- Shortly thereafter: A military doctor of Shenyang military zone corroborates the horror and indicates that a network of 36 facilities participate.
- April 4, 2006: The Coalition to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong (CIPFG) is launched.
The heckler on the South Lawn of the White House and CNN's Wolf Blitzer
- April 20, 2006: With an Epoch Times press pass and on the South Lawn of the White House, Dr. Wenyi Wang becomes the "Rosa Parks" of this cause, by shouting at the U.S. and Chinese Presidents who were meeting together, "Stop the killing!"
- April 21, 2006: CNN's Wolf Blitzer on The Situation Room has Wenyi Wang as a guest. On the way in during the elevator ride, Blitzer's producer coaches and warns Wang: "Don't talk about organ harvesting!" On TV, Blitzer proceeds to act like a school headmaster, scolding Wang as though the only story was her disruption at the White House. She was there with a message. CNN didn't get the message – although they knew enough to say "shush" about that message just before the on-camera appearance.
The Kilgour-Matas report and CNN's Anderson Cooper
- May 24, 2006: CIPFG seeks and obtains the help of Canadian public figures, David Kilgour and David Matas, to investigate the allegations of organ harvesting.
- June 17, 2006: While Kilgour and Matas were investigating, CNN's Anderson Cooper did a report about "organ tourism," about a California man who went to China for an organ transplant. Cooper did raise an eyebrow at China, saying that a prison population was "vulnerable." But, he stopped short of mentioning Falun Gong, so there was no exposure of that persecution / crackdown campaign, and no indication that the organ sources may be prisoners of conscience.
- July 6, 2006: Kilgour and Matas issue the first edition of their report, later renamed Bloody Harvest. After looking over all available evidence they wrote, "the government of China and its agencies have put to death a large but unknown number of Falun Gong prisoners of conscience. Their vital organs, including hearts, kidneys, livers and corneas, were virtually simultaneously seized involuntarily for sale at high prices." They concluded "that there has been and continues today to be large-scale organ seizures from unwilling Falun Gong practitioners."
The Kilgour-Matas report is the smoking gun. David Kilgour is a former Member of Parliament in Canada, and was Secretary of State for the Asia Pacific region. David Matas is an international human rights attorney. With their political and legal backgrounds, they would know better than to be casual or inexact with public statements. While they knew the stakes in international relations, and while they knew the enormity of the charges against Communist China, they nonetheless undertook to inform the world of their findings.
The Kilgour-Matas report was never debunked by the news media; however, for their own convenience reporters wrote that the entire organ harvesting story was discredited. Apparently, reporters will manufacture lies to suit their convenience and to preclude further research or writing. The Wall Street Journal printed this falsehood, but stopped before citing any source or basis. It's akin to printing, "They say it's not true." That invites the question, who are "they"? Perhaps, do U.S. reporters have communist masters in Beijing?