Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 2 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 2 (4 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   40 comments

At War With Reality: The Absolute Insanity of Humanity's Rulers.

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 3 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 10   Well Said 7   Supported 5

opednews.com Headlined to H2 7/14/14

"You are the crown of creation and you've got no place to go.

Soon you'll attain the stability you strive for, in the only way it's granted:

In a place among the fossils."

Jefferson Airplane, Crown of Creation

Venus by Wikipedia commons

Imagine that somewhere out in the vastness of the Cosmos, there exists a species that knows, or reasonably should know, that its economy is organized in such a manner as to inevitably trigger its own total extinction, likely within the lifetimes of all but the oldest members of that species. Suppose that this species' collective reaction was to simply ignore this unpleasant reality and continue with business as usual!

Such a species would surely be thought of as not only doomed to extinction, but perhaps deserving of that fate. Surely, though, no seemingly intelligent, technologically adapt species as this could exist in reality--right?

Think again. Such a species does indeed exist--it's US!

The present moment represents the final interlude before our self-triggered extinction becomes unstoppable. Right now between one and ten TRILLION tons of methane ices exist in shallow (i.e. less than 100 meters/yards) waters in the Arctic Ocean. (1) This means that the ONLY thing preventing these ices from sublimating (transitioning directly from a liquid to a gas) is the year-round icy temperatures of the water in which they are immersed.

Unfortunately, the arctic is warming MUCH faster than is the rest of the planet. As a consequence sea ice is projected to disappear entirely in this ocean during late summer within one to two years. (2)

This is a critical threshold because so far most of the energy warming this ocean has been taken up melting the surface ices. Once that is no longer true, the methane ices just below the surface (methane can exist in ice form in as little as 20 feet of water at Arctic Ocean temperatures) will begin to sublimate in ever-growing amounts.

From that time, until the self-reinforcing process becomes unstoppable, is a period of no more than perhaps ONE decade. (3) Since the process of methane sublimation has already begun to accelerate, we may have less time than this before temperature runaway occurs. (4) That is to say, it is very likely that by the middle of the next decade, humanity will have doomed itself to extinction.

Recently a group of very alarmed climate scientists, specializing in the arctic region, declared a planetary emergency and formed the Arctic Methane Emergency Group (AMEG). (5) Since that time they have been tirelessly attempting to bring this issue and the absolute need to respond quickly to it to avert certain catastrophe to the attention of the world's leaders--to little avail.

Among climate scientists, opinion is divided not over whether the arctic methane ices will sublimate due to warming ocean waters, but only as to WHEN this extinction-causing process will be triggered. Once it is triggered, we go extinct within the following 30-40 years. Game over for humanity. Currently, the majority opinion of the climate scientists is that this won't be a problem until later in this century. (6)

That's it! The entire debate is whether we will trigger this extinction event in the near future (ten years or less), or several decades from now!

Those climate scientists arguing in favor of the near-term emergency tend to be specialists in the arctic, while those arguing otherwise tend not to be. All available evidence suggests that the near-term group have a better command of the facts.

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

Michael P Byron is the author of The Path Through Infinity's Rainbow: Your Guide to Personal Survival and Spiritual Transformation in a World Gone Mad. This book is a manual for taking effective action to deal with the crises of our age including (more...)

Nothing on Earth Can Save Us

Empire in Chaos: Why America is Destabilizing the Planet

2012

Consciousness and Complexity

Unrestrained Capitalism Can't Solve Our Problems

Comments

To not act is insanity. ... by Michael Byron on Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:12:48 PM
Yes it is insanity - more specifically it is an ad... by Philip Pease on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:26:36 PM
Phillip,I see it as a self-reinforcing, maladaptiv... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:53:23 PM
Michael, I will do my part: I will make copies of ... by Sandra Parson on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:37:45 AM
I marked this as a Must Read but fear that no one ... by Patricia Gray on Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:21:36 PM
I continue to think our vote can create the change... by Philip Pease on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:54:49 PM
Under our current system we don't get to talk to a... by Patricia Gray on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:39:52 PM
You are right, of course, that "honest" candidates... by Pal Palsimon on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:56:32 PM
I firmly believe that the political system is very... by Sandra Parson on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:48:46 AM
Sandra,I challenged my Congressman for his seat ba... by Michael Byron on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:56:18 AM
I agree. Three really is the outer limit. If you... by Sandra Parson on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:54:31 PM
Sandra,I really like your challenging your listene... by Michael Byron on Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:14:22 AM
Patricia,In the next year of two, the Arctic Ocean... by Michael Byron on Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:29:48 PM
It is impossible for me not to conclude that human... by Daniel Geery on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:11:25 PM
I encourage anyone who missed this longer article ... by Daniel Geery on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:26:32 PM
Richard,I am a bit more optimistic, Why? Well cons... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:02:14 PM
This isn't Richard, but of course I hope you're ri... by Daniel Geery on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:19:32 PM
I apologize Daniel. My bad there. ... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:21:36 PM
No problem here, and it is more than offset by you... by Daniel Geery on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:31:24 PM
It's NOT "game over" quite yet! ... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:56:15 PM
A point I do remind myself daily. And from the lat... by Daniel Geery on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:19:39 PM
I agree. I have been saying for a long time about... by Sandra Parson on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:05:48 PM
Daniel,I'll write up an article about that. You kn... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:25:48 PM
I don't know how methane discharge will affect ast... by Sandra Parson on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:04:00 AM
Survival pills??!! Unfortunately, that has a ring ... by Michael Byron on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:59:19 AM
Learning from Whistleblowershttp://www.gpln.com/le... by Mark A. Goldman on Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:54:29 PM
Thanks for the link Mark! ... by Michael Byron on Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 3:08:31 PM
Frightening, beyond belief. We are as dumb as stum... by Dan Cooper on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:29:15 PM
Dan,Personally, I admit to being *terrified* by th... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:13:25 PM
Collectively we are as good as our leaders. We ha... by Sandra Parson on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:18:35 PM
We are transitioning to renewable energy as we spe... by molly cruz on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:21:23 PM
Molly,Thanks for your insights. Nature does not ca... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:28:50 PM
Well, maybe I should retire early, while I still h... by Wolperdinger on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:08:36 PM
Wolperdinger,I like that phrase!MB ... by Michael Byron on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:31:04 PM
I believe the Goverment knows about this but wont ... by John Dwyer on Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:20:11 PM
When the problem is 'US', any solution must be gre... by R. A. Landbeck on Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 3:18:53 AM
"Imagine that somewhere out in the vastness of the... by Edward Kirby on Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:38:53 PM
Edward,I suspect you are correct--alas. I've writt... by Michael Byron on Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 1:51:49 PM
The warnings have been clear for at least the last... by Vernon Brechin on Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:46:13 PM
Vernon,I'm in agreement--unfortunately. Still, it ... by Michael Byron on Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 1:54:20 PM