We have to be about more than ourselves. We have to be for those around us, those we don't see, the future generations and the overall health of the planet. Indeed, it would be a good exercise for you to look into the face of a young child, perhaps your own, and identify what you can do to make the world a better place for that child and his or her children.
The world is not just about you, nor me, nor is it about Obama, the Tea Party, and so on. The world is about us".all of us. People, plants, animals, the soils, and, indeed this entire living planet. We are at a critical juncture. This is what the Chinese call a dangerous opportunity. Are we willing, are YOU willing, to take that opportunity?
1. As a rule of thumb, if you cannot kiss the farmer that grew your food, don't buy
2. As much as possible, grow and make your own food and / or goods.
3. Identify where and how any object you buy is made.
4. Become as independent as possible of the current economic system
5. Network with others in building an economic, social, and spiritual system that is independent of the current ones
6. Think long term prior to making a decision".seven generations if possible. If that's not possible, think about the children close to you, or even your own.
7. Build empathy for all life. How does that zoo kept tiger feel like being caged in? How do you feel with the labels (e.g., middle class yuppie liberal), socioeconomic structures, etc that cage you in?
8. Stop trying to make it in a consumer economy. The cards are stacked against you.
9. Speak your truth and let the world hear it.
10. Question those that say they are authorities. You are the author of your own life. The answers are within you as is the evolutionary potential of humanity (see my article, http://www.opednews.com/articles/Real-Change-Or-Do-We-Stay-by-Burl-Hall-111020-831.html.)
11. Evolve your powers and encourage those you love to unfold theirs. There are Buddhist Monks that meditate are able to control their body temperature (http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9551919888/m/58219607401). If they have that capability, then so do you. It takes practice, but once you attain a specific skill, the easier it becomes. Who's to say we can't reenter Eden?