There is still danger of war between the two giants of subcontinent. Both the countries--i.e. India and Pakistan--have the capabilities to destroy at least the subcontinent. They have the potential to kill billions of people as both the countries have nuclear weapons. Leaders of both the countries have been issuing threatening statements. There is great fear and terror among the people living in this part of the world. There will be no denying the fact that terrorist organisations have the roots in Pakistan and India. With cooperation with each other, both the countries can solve the terrorism problem. The following is the story published by the New York Times.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of India accused unspecified official agencies in Pakistan on Tuesday of supporting the gunmen who struck in Mumbai in late November, according to news reports. He was speaking one day after India handed Pakistan what it said was the first comprehensive evidence linking Pakistan to an alleged "conspiracy"- hatched on Pakistani soil.
"Given the sophistication and military precision of the attack, it must have had the support of some official agencies in Pakistan,"- Mr. Singh was quoted as telling a security conference here.
India has demanded that those responsible be tried in Indian courts, a demand likely to be rebuffed.
Speaking Monday evening to reporters here, the Indian foreign secretary, Shiv Shankar Menon, refused to say whether the suspected Mumbai conspirators were connected to current or retired government officials, but said that it was unlikely that a sophisticated, commando-style assault, like the one in Mumbai in late November, "could occur without anybody anywhere in the establishment knowing it was happening."-
While Mr. Menon refused to specify whether India had evidence of complicity of Pakistan's military or spy agency officials, he did not rule it out. "We are not going to say this is where the line ends,"- he said.
In a presentation to a number of foreign diplomats earlier in the day, Indian officials detailed the involvement of retired Pakistani military officials in training the gunmen who carried out the Mumbai attacks, according to two diplomats present.
The envoys, speaking on condition of anonymity in keeping with typical diplomatic protocol, said the 100-page dossier included transcripts of telephone conversations between the gunmen and their superiors in Pakistan during the course of the attacks; transcripts of interrogations of the sole surviving gunman, Muhammad Ajmal Kasab; phone numbers in Pakistan that the attackers called as they sailed across the Arabian Sea from Karachi, Pakistan, to Mumbai, India; and details of their movements, recovered from a GPS unit they had used.
In the three-day siege of Mumbai, gunmen attacked two luxury hotels, a railway station, a tourist restaurant, a Jewish center and other sites. The attacks killed 163 people, along with 9 of the 10 suspected gunmen.
The Indian authorities say the gunmen were citizens of Pakistan and belonged to a banned terrorist group, Lashkar-e-Taiba. The police have said that during interrogation, Mr. Kasab said he had been trained by retired Pakistani military men.
Immediately after the attacks, India assigned blame to "elements"- in Pakistan, taking pains not to accuse members of the government, which pledged to cooperate and announced the closing of camps of Lashkar-e-Taiba and its charitable wing, Jamaat-ud-Dawa.
Yet as India points out, the government in Islamabad permitted some of the groups' activities to continue unimpeded.
India previously gave Pakistan what it said was a letter written by Mr. Kasab, describing himself as Pakistani and requesting Pakistani legal assistance. Officials in Islamabad have said they have no record of Mr. Kasab in their central registry.
Throughout the tense diplomatic activity since the attacks, the United States has worked to tamp down hostility between the neighbors, which have nuclear arms and have fought two major wars since 1947.
During a stop in Islamabad on Monday, the United States assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asian affairs, Richard A. Boucher, said that it was "clear"- the attackers had "links that lead to Pakistani soil."-
But he also said that in the aftermath of the attacks, the authorities in Pakistan had "done quite a bit,"- and that a "significant"- number of members of Lashkar-e-Taiba had been arrested. "Pakistan has a number of people in custody"- suspected in the planning and execution of the attacks, he said.
1 | 2