Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter 12 Share on Facebook 2 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest 1 Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 6 (21 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats

Washington's Iraq "Victory"

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 2 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 9   Well Said 6   Supported 5

opednews.com Headlined to H2 6/14/14

Cross-posted from Paul Craig Roberts

Iraqis wave behind a US flag on the dashboard of a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle, part of the last US military convoy to leave Iraq on December 18, 2011 near Nasiriyah, Iraq.
(image by LUCAS JACKSON-POOL/Getty Images)
  DMCA

The citizens of the United States still do not know why their government destroyed Iraq. "National Security" will prevent them from ever knowing. "National Security" is the cloak behind which hides the crimes of the US government.

George Herbert Walker Bush, a former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency who became President courtesy of being picked as Ronald Reagan's Vice President, was the last restrained US President. When Bush the First attacked Iraq it was a limited operation, the goal of which was to evict Saddam Hussein from his annexation of Kuwait.

Kuwait was once a part of Iraq, but a Western colonial power created new political boundaries, as the Soviet Communist Party did in Ukraine. Kuwait emerged from Iraq as a small, independent oil kingdom.

According to reports, Kuwait was drilling at an angle across the Iraq/Kuwait border into Iraqi oil fields. On July 25, 1990, Saddam Hussein, with Iraqi troops massed on the border with Kuwait, asked President George H. W. Bush's ambassador, April Glaspie, if the Bush administration had an opinion on the situation. Here is Ambassador Glaspie's reply:

"...'We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary [of State James] Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960's that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America.'

"According to this transcript, Saddam Hussein is further assured by high US government officials that Washington does not stand in his way in reunifying Iraq and putting a halt to a gangster family's theft of Iraqi oil:

"At a Washington press conference called the next day, State Department spokesperson Margaret Tutweiler was asked by journalists:

"'Has the United States sent any type of diplomatic message to the Iraqis about putting 30,000 troops on the border with Kuwait? Has there been any type of protest communicated from the United States government?'

"to which she responded: 'I'm entirely unaware of any such protest.'

"On July 31st, two days before the Iraqi invasion [of Kuwait], John Kelly, Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern affairs, testified to Congress that the 'United States has no commitment to defend Kuwait and the U.S. has no intention of defending Kuwait if it is attacked by Iraq'."

(See here among other sources.)

Was this an intentional set-up of Saddam Hussein, or did the Iraqi takeover of Kuwait produce frantic calls from the Bush family's Middle Eastern business associates?

Whatever explains the dramatic, sudden, total change of position of the US government, the result produced military action that fell short of war on Iraq itself.

From 1990 until 2003 Iraq was acceptable to the US government.

Suddenly, in 2003 Iraq was no longer acceptable. We don't know why. We were told a passel of lies: Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction that were a threat to America. The spectre of a "mushroom cloud over an American city" was raised by the National Security Advisor. The Secretary of State was sent to the UN with a collection of lies with which to build acceptance of US naked aggression against Iraq. The icing on the cake was the claim that Saddam Hussein's secular government "had al Qaeda connections," al Qaeda bearing the blame for 9/11.

As neither Congress nor the US media have any interest to know the reason for Washington's about face on Iraq, the "Iraq Threat" will remain a mystery for Americans.

But the consequences of Washington's destruction of the secular government of Saddam Hussein, a government that managed to hold Iraq together without the American-induced violence that has made the country a permanent war zone, has been ongoing years of violence on a level equal to, or in excess of, the violence associated with the US occupation of Iraq.

Next Page  1  |  2

Dr. Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury for Economic Policy in the Reagan Administration. He was associate editor and columnist with the Wall Street Journal, columnist for Business Week and the Scripps Howard News Service. He is a contributing editor to Gerald Celente's Trends Journal. He has had numerous university appointments. His book, The Failure of Laissez Faire Capitalism and Economic Dissolution of the West is available here. His latest book,  How America Was Lost, has just been released and can be ordered here.

Libya - The DC/NATO Agenda And The Next Great War

The Road to Armageddon

American Job Loss Is Permanent

A Story...The Last Whistleblower

Pakistan TV Report Contradicts US Claim of Bin Laden's Death

Comments

A hazily remembered data point to add. Back when ... by Samson on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 1:43:11 PM
In the early 1990's, there was a danger that Peace... by Samson on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 1:46:59 PM
Yes, but it is about money. The shrub and chainee ... by lila york on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:26:54 PM
...yes, after speaking with Obama. ... by Ron Brassfield on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 4:00:56 PM
I've always suspected that, as well. ... by Ron Brassfield on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:47:57 PM
Thank Xerxes,we still have Nutanyahole and the PNA... by George W.Reichel on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 2:13:40 PM
Not mentioned is the most crucial information, bec... by E. J. N. on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 2:03:20 PM
click hereI think you mean this: Plans for redrawi... by lila york on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:02:15 PM
Thanks. Yeah, they are nuts. But I think we need t... by E. J. N. on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:26:19 PM
Actually I never believed that US policy was as mo... by Paul Easton on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 4:18:31 PM
Lets be sensible. Good vs Evil is distinct from Sa... by Paul Easton on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 4:35:56 PM
The main component of this new middle east is the ... by George W.Reichel on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 2:17:48 PM
Chilling to think a putz like Bush is really that ... by Ron Brassfield on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:58:08 PM
Ron, I don't think there's any question who most o... by E. J. N. on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 4:33:37 PM
No mystery about a bogus threat from Iraq in 2003 ... by Lance Ciepiela on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 4:21:54 PM
Some people say that I "follow" Dr PCR. I don't.In... by BFalcon on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 8:09:08 PM
Washington is the seat of USG, and as I said befor... by Paul Easton on Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 11:04:23 PM
Of course if you assume that we have nothing to do... by BFalcon on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 3:57:07 AM
Tut, tut...you go and spoil it with the last para.... by K V Ramani on Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 12:20:22 AM
I'm sorry but it's true.President Clinton, it seem... by BFalcon on Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:25:47 AM
I didnt say anything about Serbia. I am not up on ... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:28:44 AM
Oh now I understand. I am a fanatic and you are on... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:18:52 AM
I said "...if you don't see the difference in Cli... by BFalcon on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:28:37 PM
I appreciate BF and others who cut through what I ... by Robert S. Becker on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 10:54:45 AM
Just to add, by broadening the guilt to Washington... by BFalcon on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:58:33 PM
Broadening? Or narrowing into a logical default wh... by Robert S. Becker on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 1:22:41 PM
Sure you are right that all complexity is narrowed... by BFalcon on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 3:49:21 PM
Yes, oversimplified and distorted generalizations,... by Robert S. Becker on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:28:29 PM
Looking at it from outside in, the subtleties of A... by K V Ramani on Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:13:32 AM
K V congrats, you're the only one (including PCR) ... by Alan MacDonald on Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:57:20 AM
I am sorry but I have to very much disagree.India ... by BFalcon on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:19:04 AM
You may disagree all you want. I have outlined the... by K V Ramani on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:38:29 AM
Disappointing, my friend.Just a little while ago y... by BFalcon on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:03:00 AM
The distinction I draw between the good in America... by K V Ramani on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:04:31 AM
One doesn't choose between empires, no more than w... by Robert S. Becker on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:49:13 AM
Agree entirely, for a change :-) The greatest achi... by K V Ramani on Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:45:35 PM
Agree to all above.My point was simply that this e... by BFalcon on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:35:24 AM
Thanks for reminding me why I rarely respond to yo... by Robert S. Becker on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:39:26 AM
It is certainly true I dont know you in person. Al... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:38:06 AM
You, by your own admission, are a model of illogic... by Robert S. Becker on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:33:07 PM
QED ... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:45:03 PM
Most of us here don't change our minds often.First... by BFalcon on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:43:23 PM
People have different values and they might lead t... by Paul Easton on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:02:27 AM
True, I agree.Do you have an example where you cha... by BFalcon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:02:58 AM
My comment to Hedges article on Chomsky, published... by Paul Easton on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 7:05:18 AM
For my outlook I have seen that many, many human b... by Pal Palsimon on Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 5:39:25 AM
"I would like to think I am the kind who wants the... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:43:51 AM
Its true that I am often coming here from emotion ... by Paul Easton on Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 1:11:09 PM
Bfalcon, I want you to know my thumbs up on this c... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:27:01 AM
I admit I am not sure if it was right to link Falc... by Paul Easton on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:41:17 AM
delete ... by Robert S. Becker on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:01:05 AM
Interesting how quickly memory fades. 9/11 definit... by Michael David Morrissey on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 7:56:32 AM
WHO did 9/11? On 9/11, ASK who had the power to sh... by Lance Ciepiela on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:59:29 AM
As you say, the prima facie evidence is prima faci... by Michael David Morrissey on Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:53:01 AM
well all of us who have been paying attention and ... by lila york on Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 7:50:02 PM
....and I had the gut feeling about it from the lo... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 6:34:26 AM