Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 45 (45 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   38 comments

General News

BARACK OBAMA On Gandhi's Birthday

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; , Add Tags  (less...) Add to My Group(s)

Valuable 3   Must Read 2   Well Said 2

Barack Obama on the influence of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi on his ideas and actions.

October 2, 2008

Gandhi Service Day

Dear Friends,

It's a pleasure for me to join today in commemorating Mahatma Gandhi's
day of birth, celebrated across America and around the world by service to our neighbors and other good works. Gandhi's commitment to creating
positive change by bringing people together peacefully to demand it
resonate as strongly today as they did during his lifetime. Through the power of his example and his own unshakeable spirit, he inspired a people to resist oppression, sparking a revolution that freed a nation from colonial rule. In formulating his strategy to achieve freedom, Gandhi had a choice, and he chose courage over fear.

America faces many choices as we work to address the challenges of our
time. We must act from a place of strength and conviction to reclaim the
high road and position of moral leadership that has defined the United
States at its best.

Gandhi's significance is universal. Countless people around the world have been touched by his spirit and example - his victory in turn inspired a generation of young Americans to peacefully wipe out a system of overt oppression that had endured for a century, and more recently led to velvet revolutions in Eastern Europe and extinguished apartheid in South Africa. Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., spoke of their great debt to Gandhi. His portrait hangs in my office to remind me that real change will not come from Washington - it will come when the people, united, bring it to Washington.

This is a pivotal election. This is our time for change. For far too long, we've watched as ordinary Americans work harder and harder for less and less. We've watched our standing in the world erode as we continue to lose American lives in a war that should've never been authorized and never been waged. I need you to stand up and work for change. Let us all rededicate ourselves, every day from now until November 4th, and beyond, to living Gandhi's call to be the change we wish to see in the world.

Sincerely,
Barack Obama

In 1980, Stephen Fox founded New Millennium Fine Art, a Santa Fe gallery specializing in Native American and Landscape, and is very active in New Mexico Legislative consumer protection politics, trying above to get the FDA to rescind its approval (more...)

What does Coca Cola's Dasani bottled water have in common with Death by Lethal Injection?

Comments

This is nice, but it doesn't square well with ... by R. A. Louis on Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:04:37 PM
Seriously...these pages are for a dialogue at best... by Stephen Fox on Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:20:04 PM
Republican candidates say war in Iraq must go on a... by Carma Keats on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:53:31 PM
Just think what a Gandhian transformation might do... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 7:32:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that Stephen.May Barak one day ... by Lis on Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:32:13 PM
Having studied Gandhi since 1974 with the reverenc... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:05:54 AM
Might be a bit early to place Obama on the shelves... by Eliot Gould on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:22:23 AM
That was my point, too. That he might truly take t... by Lis on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 1:41:00 AM
Politicians of almost all stripes regardly express... by Bill Samuel on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:04:15 AM
"UNREGENERATED MILITARIST"? what makes y... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:32:22 AM
After 8 years of Bush claiming to be a Christian a... by Hubert Steed on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:27:52 AM
Agree with you on Bush/Cheney, but I am sure Obama... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:02:11 AM
I can't imagine Christ or Gandhi taking Obama&... by Hubert Steed on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:24:57 PM
It is possible to be a Gandhian and have one's... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:54:14 PM
Yes, Stephen, I see your point... you say "I ... by Hubert Steed on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:37:27 PM
If you can be a Gandhian and support mass violence... by Bill Samuel on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:25:59 PM
I don't do well with isms and systems of thoug... by Stephen Fox on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:28:56 PM
I liked reading Obama's letter re Gandhi. ... by Suzana Megles on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:05:50 PM
Clearly, after the last 8 years of utter mayhem an... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:30:52 PM
Interesting post (letter) and this one bit from an... by EisforEverything on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 5:10:26 PM
Marion: I really appreciate your insights, and you... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 5:21:19 PM
As already mentioned in my bio, I mentioned few gr... by Lydia Kopere Patterson on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 7:08:14 PM
I found this post incredibly inspiring. The commen... by Robyn Russell on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 7:22:31 PM
thanks so much to each of you for taking the time ... by Stephen Fox on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 7:36:45 PM
I agree with you Stephen. I love Bill Richardson a... by Lydia Kopere Patterson on Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:50:52 PM
I mean about Bill Richardson as SOS! I have been s... by Stephen Fox on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:47:07 AM
I, too, liked Obama's thoughts on acknowledgin... by kibitzer2 on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:13:54 PM
directly, to his US Senate office. I can't ans... by Stephen Fox on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 1:44:59 PM
As the daughter of a civil rights worker murdered ... by Sally Liuzzo-Prado on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:17:43 PM
You said it all Sally!Here's another type of a... by Lydia Kopere Patterson on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:01:45 PM
http://www.opednews.com/articles/The-2008-Election... by Stephen Fox on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:27:15 PM
Great Post....Gandhi needs to be celebrated more i... by Jim Neusom on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:18:25 PM
As previously stated to readers of OpEd, I hope yo... by Hubert Steed on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:03:43 PM
BTW – I hear a lot about “right thing&... by Lydia Kopere Patterson on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:45:56 PM
However, don't underestimate the power that Ga... by Stephen Fox on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:49:36 PM
Dear Stephen, Thanks for your encouragement.It is... by Kamala Sarup on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:09:44 PM
This lady dutifully submitted an article at OpEdNe... by Stephen Fox on Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:17:32 PM
I appreciate the genius of OpEdNews, as opposed to... by Eliot Gould on Monday, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:25:27 PM