How to deal with people who don't think they can make a difference.
As a baby boomer I have a real problem with my life long friends. When they were younger they were more concerned caring people and now they don't care about anything or believe there is nothing they can do about the problems facing our country and the world. I have a hard time being around them now because I want to talk about how bad it is in our country and how many people and how we are destroying the environment. Since I don't see them that often I feel they should be able to spend some of our time together talk about thing things that matter. They always shut me out and say "We are here to enjoy ourselves. Please don't talk about politics or religion. Besides, there is nothing we can do to change anything anyway,"
I've had enough of this and I am very busy trying just to survive, help the causes I am fighting for and I don't have time to sit there and talk about nothing. So on the 4th of July I went to their gathering, gave them this letter and left. I don't know what will come of it but I believe if more people did this, we could recruit millions more into the occupy movement.
Here is my letter.
Fox news and the right wing extremists in the in this country support and work toward making law the 14 points of fascism listed in this letter every day. If another right wing supreme court judge is appointed or some of the right wing judges who have already shredded the constitutions and have been bought by corporations are not force to leave office, they will make every one of the 14 element of fascism become an everyday way of life in our country.
Please keep in mind that if you join me and try to stop this from happening, the government right now can classify you as a terrorist and put you away forever without a trial. They have already arrested and put in jail thousands of peaceful protestors and have thousands of people in jail right now who have done thing wrong and will never see the light of day again unless millions of Americans stand up and say "We're madder than hell and we're not going to take it anymore." They have ALREADY arrested and put in jail people for taking pictures and videos of inhuman farming conditions and called them terrorists. The city of Chicago has a law that says if you take a picture or video of an officer doing something illegal, you will be arrested and prosecuted, not the officer. The list of thing our country is doing to take away our civil rights is too long to list here.
If millions of Americans like us don't band together (WHAT IS KNOWN AS THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT) and stop these 14 points from becoming a reality, our country will go the way of Nazi Germany but with the added kicker, the destruction of our environment and the planet. You have the choice, you can sit back like they did in German and say it can never happen here or you can join millions of people who understand what democracy and freedom means and stand up and fight.
I know I use to call you my friends and I have a common bond and history with you that will never leave my mind, but through the years you have to understand that as we have grown farther apart it is not me that has changed, it is you. I was in the streets when we were growing up getting tear gassed at anti war demonstrations. I have always fought for the rights of the little guy. I have always fought against racism, sexism, and homophobia and fought for the separation of church and state. I have always believed that while religious organizations and charities do some good, what they could do compared to what they actually do is like a billionaire giving a dollar to a homeless person. It is a nice gesture but is worthless for helping any real problem I have always thought the way you stop abortion is to educate people and give them a better life and some hope so they don't have unwanted children, not force people to bring unwanted children in the world. I AM WHO I AM AND I WILL NEVER CHANGE! APPARENTLY THAT IS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU TO CALL ME A FRIEND, BUT I WILL JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT. I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.
Years ago things were not as bad as they are right now and our differences in philosophy did not mean as much. Frank watches me go in and out of my apartment every day and knows that I am working constantly and have very little free time. With the destruction of our very way of life at stake, I don't have the time to sit and talk about nothing with my friends on the rare occasions I get to see them, which is why you will not see me at any more of your gatherings.
As bad as things are in the country and around the world, when you get together you don't think it's important to talk for even a few minutes about the millions of suffering people in our country and around the world.
THE SADDEST THING THOUGH IS THAT THERE IS NOT ONE PERSON IN OUR GROUP THAT THINKS THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE ANYTHING, WHICH MEANS, THE BAD GUYS IN OUR COUNTRY ARE WINNING!!!!
I KNOW THIS IS TRUE BECAUSE IF YOU DID CARE YOU COULD NOT SIT BACK QUIETLY AND NOT TALK ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE YOU SEE SUFFERING AROUND YOU. YOU WOULD BE LIKE ME. YOU WOULD NO LONG WANT TO ASSOCIATE WITH PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK IT'S IMPORTANT TO TAKE ABOUT THE SUFFERING THEY SEE AROUND THEM . YOU WOULD WRITE LETTERS LIKE THIS TO YOUR UNINFORMED FRIENDS FRIEND TO LET THEM KNOW THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM IN OUR COUNTRY AND IT IS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY BY IGNORING IT. YOU WOULD STAND UP IN FRONT OF YOUR CHURCH AND TELL THEM THEY ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH. YOU WOULD INSIST THAT YOUR CHURCH TAKE PART OF IT'S TIME TO TALK ABOUT AND EDUCATE ITS PEOPLE ABOUT THE HORRIBLE THING THAT ARE HAPPENING IN THE WORLD AND TALK ABOUT REAL SOLUTIONS.
PLEASE READ THESE 14 POINTS AND UNDERSTAND, IT CAN HAPPEN HERE.
IF YOU WANT TO STOP THESE 14 POINTS FROM BECOMING REALITY, CALL ME SO WE CAN GET TOGETHER AND I WILL TELL YOU HOW WE CAN STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.
Elements of Police State Fascism
(1) "Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism," including display flags, lapel pins, and other patriotic nationalist expressions, rally people for a common cause.
(2) "Disdain for the importance of human rights" and civil liberties, believing they hinder ruling elitist power.
(3) "Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause," shifting blame for failures, "channel(ling) frustration in controlled directions," and vilifying targeted groups for political advantage.
(4) "The supremacy of the military/avid militarism," allocating a disproportionate share of national wealth and resources for it.
(5) "Rampant sexism," viewing women as second-class citizens.
(6) "A controlled mass media," in public or private hands, promoting power elite policies.
(7) "Obsession with national security," using it as an instrument of belligerence and oppression.
(8) "Religion and ruling elite tied together," portraying themselves as military defenders of the nation's dominant religion at the expense of one or more others, deemed inferior or threatening.
(9) "Power of corporations defended," for economic power, military production, and social control.
(10) "Power of labor suppressed or eliminated," leaving political and corporate dominance unchallenged.
(11) "Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts," because they represent intellectual and academic freedom, subversive to national security and political control.
(12) "Obsession with crime and punishment," handling them by draconian criminal justice measures and practices.
(13) "Rampant cronyism and corruption," power elites enriching themselves at the expense of others less fortunate.
(14) "Fraudulent elections," manipulated for desired results by disenfranchising opposition voters or simply rigging the process.
I HAVE BEEN A PROGRESSIVE ALL MY LIFE. I STAY EDUCATED BY SUBSCRIBING TO THE BEST ALTERNATE NEWS SITES ON THE WEB.
I SIGN PETITIONS ON A DAILY BASIS TO SUPPORT POLITICAL ACTION GROUPS THAT ARE TRYING TO OVERTURN CITIZENS UNITED, PUT CROOKED BANKERS AND COMPANY OFFICIALS IN JAIL, GET PUBLIC FUNDED HEALTH CARE, PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE AND ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE TRYING TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT.
I DEMONSTRATED AGAINST THE VIETNAM WAR AND I HAVE DEMONSTRATED WITH OCCUPY CHICAGO AND OTHER POLITICAL GROUPS.
I AM WORKING ON A PROJECT RIGHT NOW TO BRING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE INTO THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT. I WILL UPDATE MY PROGRESS ON THIS PROJECT AS IT HAPPENS.