Click Here to Send the Letter Below: Reject Fake Net Neutrality
After more than a year of waffling on Net Neutrality, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski just announced plans to issue weak regulations that give just about everything to giant phone and cable companies, and leave Internet users with almost nothing.1
Genachowski calls his plan Net Neutrality. But it's fake. It doesn't live up to President Obama's pledge to create lasting and enforceable Net Neutrality protections or to Genachowski's own promises to deliver for the president.2
This is a huge betrayal. But we still have time to fix Genachowski's toothless rule before it goes to a vote on Dec. 21.
Click here to automatically send the letter below to the FCC: "Accept Nothing Less than Real Net Neutrality."
FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Michael Copps have been unwavering champions for Net Neutrality. They now hold the power of their majority votes to fix the chairman's bad rule.
Click this link to automatically send our mass letter (below) to Commissioners Clyburn and Copps. Take action now and we will hand-deliver your letters when we meet with the commissioners on Wednesday, Dec. 8. They need to hear from you that Genachowski's fake Net Neutrality plan fails on so many fronts:
- It fails to protect Net Neutrality for people who access the Internet using wireless devices.There is only one Internet: Users must be free to access any legal website, service or application whether they're at home or using a mobile phone.
- It fails to prevent new "paid prioritization" schemes planned by industry. We can't let AT&T and Comcast charge steep tolls to speed up the sites and services of a few media giants while slowing down everyone else.
- It fails to close massive loopholes. The FCC can't let Verizon build a new "private Internet" under the guise of "specialized services" that would stifle competition and innovation.
- It fails to restore the FCC's authority, which was stripped away during a Bush-era frenzy of deregulation. If the FCC doesn't "reclassify" its broadband authority under Title II of the Communications Act, it risks making Net Neutrality rules that will be tossed out in court right away.
Commissioners Clyburn and Copps are longstanding champions of real Net Neutrality. If they know you've got their backs, they can toughen up the language of Genachowski's plan.
Chairman Genachowski needs their votes. Commissioners Clyburn and Copps have real political leverage to fix this rule.
Send them the letter and then tell your friends to take action, too.
1. SavetheInternet.com, "Damning Praise for Genachowski's Plan" http://act2.freepress.net/go/1145?akid=2100.9174511.46n0pH&t=9
2. Huffington Post, "FCC Chairman Announces Fake Net Neutrality Proposal" http://act2.freepress.net/go/1111?akid=2100.9174511.46n0pH&t=11
By clicking the action links above you will send the following letter to the FCC:
Dear Commissioners Copps and Clyburn (FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski):
Chairman Genachowski's proposed open Internet rules don't meet any acceptable standard of real Net Neutrality. Unless they're changed significantly, we urge you not to support them when you vote on Dec. 21.
First, the rules need to extend full Net Neutrality protections to both wired and wireless Internet users.
Second, they must have stronger language to prohibit "paid prioritization" schemes, which give phone and cable companies the power to pick winners and losers on the Internet.
Third, they must close massive loopholes for "specialized services" that allow industry to discriminate unfairly online.
Finally, they must ensure that Net Neutrality rests on a secure legal foundation that can withstand a court challenge.
Please continue to stand with me for real Net Neutrality protections and fix these rules before you vote.