Most Popular Choices
Share on Facebook 16 Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Exclusive to OpEd News:
OpEdNews Op Eds   


By       (Page 1 of 3 pages)   1 comment
Message Richard Neville
Become a Fan
  (1 fan)
1. Of whatever persuasion, religious fundamentalism is a global curse.

2. As is market fundamentalism.

3. The CIA is probably the mother of all terrorist organizations.

4. The world's "most powerful democracy" is not a democracy. It is an oligarchy. The US is run by a surprisingly small number of power brokers who revolve through the doors of the White House, Big Oil, Defence, Security, Trade, Embassies, the World Bank and numerous blue chip boardrooms.

5. This elite, plus the CEO's of major global corporations, are the true manipulators of the modern world. Yet few have faced elections.

6. Those who screw up, attract unwanted attention, or are caught with hands in the till, are often promoted out of the way.

7. A handful of boardroom tycoons own and control the mainstream media.

8. Anyone who aspires to high office in a Western democracy must cultivate the media and accept that boardroom power is today's major driver of global affairs.

9. The high players embedded in these institutions - corporations, banks, media, government, IMF, WTO, etc - the "corporatocracy" - are united by a core credo: THERE IS NO GOD HIGHER THAN PROFIT.

10. This is the mindset that fuels endless growth, even as fossil fuels choke the planet.

11. Such a mindset imperils the future.

12. It is this mindset that says its okay to Wallmart the world, because the consumer gets more choice, even although the choice is largely illusory. What's the point of offering 30 brands of toasters at the cost of "one-quarter of all plant and animal species" being doomed to extinction, because of global warming? (Nature magazine).

13. The greed-is-good philosophy is justified on the grounds that it spreads the wealth around. True, it spreads the wealth around the boardrooms. The income gap between the rich and the poor keeps widening. The richest 1% of Americans own more assets than the other 99% combined. Is this fair? Both within countries and between countries, such wealth gap keeps expanding, but few Western politicians will talk about it for fear that Rupert Murdoch's media will call them Communists.

14. The top 5% of the world's pop has an income 200 times greater than the bottom 5%. (In 1980, the ratio was only 6 to 1). Worldwide, downward mobility is more common than upward mobility.

15. A future of dramatic wealth redistribution is inevitable.

16. And is gathering momentum in Latin America.

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).

Rate It | View Ratings

Richard Neville Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Richard Neville has been a practicing futurist since 1963, when he launched the countercultural magazine, Oz, which widened the boundaries of free speech on two continents. He has written several books, including Playpower (71), the bio of a global (more...)
Go To Commenting
The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.
Writers Guidelines

Contact AuthorContact Author Contact EditorContact Editor Author PageView Authors' Articles
Support OpEdNews

OpEdNews depends upon can't survive without your help.

If you value this article and the work of OpEdNews, please either Donate or Purchase a premium membership.

If you've enjoyed this, sign up for our daily or weekly newsletter to get lots of great progressive content.
Daily Weekly     OpEd News Newsletter
   (Opens new browser window)

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)


Apocalypse Porno - The Beat Goes On

The Age of Eco Surrealism

The Torturer's Apprentice

House of Horrors -Smashing Plato's Cave

To View Comments or Join the Conversation:

Tell A Friend