Many of thse terms have been written in articles but do not be fooled. For all practical purposes these terms are pretty much equal for a citizen living under the rule.
Unitary president, plutocracy, autocracy, monarchy, imperial presidency as they all equal dictatorship. Forget the nuances that separate these terms, they all represent tyranny, repression and loss of rights and freedom.
1. Because Bush can do it! We are now at a point where every day we are dependent on the good sense of Bush/Cheney to not put us into tyranny. Bush is sociopathic and Cheney is pure evil; both are power mad and don't care one whit about you or me. Any assumption of benevolence is wrong for the following reasons.
2. The neocon manifesto and other writings clearly state the desire to force the neocon idea of democracy using the military force of the United States and and to develop a one party US government. This has matured so that one party is not the real desire anymore, but instead the small group of neocons (there some republicans who care for our constitutional government-not many) to have this control so the plans early on really pointed at the desire for some kind of plutocracy (remember my definitions). Bush has joked(?) Several times about wanting to be a dictator.
3. Since coming into power there has been a quiet alteration in the structure of government that has been missed by most Americans because of lack of interest or the feeling that tyranny can't happen here. The use of signing statements has given bush power to alter laws to his own whim. He has also ignored laws made legitimately by Congress essentially vetoing them without a chance for override. Bush, abetted first by a Republican congress and his own brand of terrorism instilling fear into Americans and Congress, even a Democratic Congress he has gotten laws passed that are outright unconstitutional and has done this with no oversight by Congress. These include the patriot act which undoes much of the IV, V and VI amendments allowing spying and removing the right to challenge the repression, the military commissions act which stamps on the IV, V, VI, and VIII and X. And takes away much of the right of habeas corpus and also grants the unusual power of the president to control much of the national guard.
4. Bush has used executive orders to a level never seen before to the point that it really is a one man law making body usurping the power of congress who seem to be happy to give it away. Two of these EOs are especially dangerous. First is one that Bush grants himself power to seize all assets of Americans without recourse in the courts and without any IV amendment protection if he deems that they helped undermine the Iraq war. Does this mean that campaigning to end the war counts, how about my membership in Veterans for Peace? He is the sole decider and even though there some examples in the order, essentially anything he decrees constitutes a violation. This certainly violated amendment I (freedom of speech), IV (unreasonable search and seizure), V (right to trial), VI (speedy trial by jury with witnesses), VIII (excessive, unusual or cruel punishment.) An EO on August 1, 2007 seems to be related to enemies to Lebanon, but in reality bush has just given himself sweeping power to lower the bar of what constitutes the crime. Now almost anything he deems can cause seizure of any or all property of that person accused, and in this case accusing is the same as finding guilt making bush the prosecuting attorney, the judge amd the executioner, he also gives the same right to the Secretary of the Treasury as he does with the Iraq EO. In addition to the punishment making one penniless with no savings, no car, no money and no belongings meaning you will be on the street, his EO bans anyone from giving you, or your family anything, even food or clothing or money--a death sentence, fitting for a sadist like bush.
5. Bush has recently browbeaten a cowardly congress into granting him six more months of warrant-less wiretapping. in this case it was not only rubber-stamping neocons, it was also some Democrats including our own Senators Lincoln and Pryor who are also abetting this criminal president, one who has lied, kept secrets, spat on congress, and been wrong at every decision and our Senators grant these criminals even more power to abuse. i hope that you will remember this when they come begging for contributions and votes in 2008, that is, if we even have an election thanks to them.
6. Bush and Cheney also face possible prosecution for federal crimes and for war crimes if they leave the protection of the white house and as cowardly as they are they will protect their assets in every possible way unfettered by concern for citizen rights, elections or laws.
7. Something to think about are the CIA prisons scattered around the country and the world. Why were they built? Certainly not for Guantonimo like prisoners as the new Halliburton built prisons have space for thousands. They are not for Federal prisoners as they are CIA and supposedly secret. They are not for illegal aliens, Bush wants more illegals for his buddies to exploit and anyway, if prosecuted they are usually deported. So think about possible uses for these prisons and see if you can come up with more than the one reason I reached.
8.Even with the Republicans at the bottom of the polls and Bush/Cheney scraping the bottom they seem to behave as if they fully expect a Republican in the White House in 2009--them. Other similar signs include the huge embassy in Iraq, and the permanent bases (denied by Bush). Only a Republican neocon in power will need these things. For these reasons i expect that our two term limit will not apply to Bush and that he fully intends to stay. All he has to do is declare a national emergency and his EO will apply and allow martial law. Oops, i forgot, he has already declared a national emergency in his EO of august 1, 2007 (Syrian meddling in Lebanon constitutes an “unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States,” Bush asserted, adding, “I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.”
If McCain wins in November, and he might if the Republicans, the moral family oriented party, can throw Florida, Ohio and now Pennsylvania, I suspect he may leave peacefully knowing he has a clone in office.
As horrible as this will be a Democrat win may be even worse. It certainly may be possible that Bush may see this as the National catastrophe requiring martial law and then we will have a full fledged dictator for life, no functioning Congress or SOTUS.