- Idaho Senator Larry Craig caught with his pants down cruising for gay sex in an airport men's room;
- Karl Rove and Alberto Gonzales -- both resigning under the cloud of multiple Congressional and other Federal investigations;
- White House press secretary Tony Snow and Senator John Warner, both announcing their imminent retirements yesterday;
- The 10th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana;
- The 2nd anniversary of hurricane Katrina;
- Big Democratic donor, Norman Hsu, on the lam;
- The 2008 presidential election and whatever any of the 20 or so candidates said, ate or did;
- Will Fred Thompson announce his candidacy or not;
- War in Iraq;
- War in Afghanistan;
- Sub prime mortgages, the roller-coaster stock market, and the ever-widening wage-gap
In the meantime, while we've been focusing on all these other things, George Bush and Dick Cheney have ramped up their war rhetoric against Iran:
- US Battleships and Bombers are at the ready.
- No new Congressional resolution necessary since Bush declared the Iranian Revolutionary Guard are a terrorist organization.
- Bush and Cheney believe they must "take out" Iran's nuclear program before leaving office.
And after we bomb, bomb, bomb Iran, what will happen?
Iran is a Shia Nation and the Iraqi population are 60% Shia. Thus the majority of Iraqis -- who we are supposedly trying to bomb into submission -- will naturally identify with Shia victims in Iran and will no doubt despise us even more than they do now. From Lebanon to Oman and beyond, the Shia will be understandably united in their sense of victimization.
And even if we were to crush their mortal enemy, the Shias, don't expect Iraq’s Sunni population to react any better. Whatever their feelings about Iran, they have been very clear about their hatred of a Western presence and expansion of U.S. operations in the Muslim world.
Don't believe us? Ask bin Laden.
The entire world will respond with revulsion. From Europe to Japan there will be much discussion about how to best distance oneself and protect oneself from a USA gone nuts.
Its almost as if Bush and Cheney want to create the perfect climate to foment perpetual war...
Now why would they want to do that?
Who gains from such a thing?
We know who will lose... the rest of us.After all of the propaganda oozing from this Administration, how are we expected to believe that such distracting headlines are not intended to keep us from noticing under which shell the truth hides?