Power of Story
Send a Tweet        
- Advertisement -

Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter 1 Share on Facebook 2 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend (3 Shares)  

Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites (# of views)   5 comments
General News

Victims Of $3.6 Billion Petters Ponzi Fraud Protest Court Process

By   Follow Me on Twitter     Message Andrew Kreig     Permalink
      (Page 1 of 4 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 1   Well Said 1   Valuable 1  
View Ratings | Rate It

opednews.com Headlined to H3 8/25/10

- Advertisement -

Thomas Petters (2008 jail photo)
(Image by State of Minnesota)
  Permission   Details   DMCA

Victims of the $3.6 billion financial fraud by Minnesota businessman Tom Petters are justifiably angry about the federal victim-restitution process that began after his 2008 arrest.

The feds used hardball tactics to install well-connected cronies in key positions, which should trouble anyone who fears precedent if their own finances get trapped in such a dispute nationally.

- Advertisement -

Most remarkable was that the federal judge supervising the case named the prominent local attorney Douglas Kelley to be court receiver and U.S. trustee even though the scam defendant Petters had previously hired Kelley to defend his companies.

- Advertisement -

Victims of the Petters scam are so disturbed at such decision-making and what they regard as excessive fees by Kelley and his legal team that some of them financed The Second Fraud, a documentary about their case that premieres Aug. 25 at the Uptown Theater in Minneapolis for a one-night showing.

On behalf of the Justice Integrity Project, I'm on a seven-person panel assembling there to discuss the case after the movie. Kelley and at least four other representatives of the government, his legal team or the Petters defense were invited, but none have confirmed.

Here's a look at our discussion about this fascinating case:

- Advertisement -

For more than a decade, Tom Petters masterminded the first multi-billion dollar U.S. "Ponzi scheme" ever discovered. Authorities raided his companies on Sept. 24, 2008 after a tip from his former receptionist-lover, who'd received $8 million in bonuses during her ascendancy into his executive ranks.

Petters, a college drop-out now aged 53, received 50-year prison term in April. This ended his huge donations to leading politicians in both major parties, his swank lifestyle, and his control of such well-known companies as Polaroid and Sun Country Airlines.

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3  |  4

 

- Advertisement -

Must Read 1   Well Said 1   Valuable 1  
View Ratings | Rate It

http://www.presidentialpuppetry.com

Andrew Kreig is an investigative reporter, attorney, author, business strategist, radio host, and longtime non-profit executive based in Washington, DC. His most recent book is "Presidential Puppetry: Obama, Romney and Their Masters," the (more...)
 

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon



Go To Commenting
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

Follow Me on Twitter

Contact AuthorContact Author Contact EditorContact Editor Author PageView Authors' Articles
Related Topic(s): ; ; , Add Tags
- Advertisement -

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

Obama Team Feared Coup If He Prosecuted War Crimes

Cain's 'high-tech lynching' defense problem...Clarence Thomas lied

June Trial Looms As Obama DOJ Crusades Against Critics

Thomas Must Resign, Says Former Judge, Lover

CIA Executive's Son: Agency Murdered JFK & Lover

Rove Repeatedly Lies on Fox News About Siegelman Case