Reprinted from freepress.org
Jim Crow is already the big winner in this year's election.
The corporate elite uses him to to gouge the planet and dominate the rest of us.
We are Seeing a horrifying coup d'etat
So the voting rights of millions of student, elderly, black, Hispanic and other citizens are being lynched.
Which may now decide control of the US Senate, many state legislatures...and the White House in 2016.
The corporate-Christian right has long used the drug war to disenfranchise millions of citizens of youth and color. Gay and reproductive rights, feminism and the cultural war have mobilized Christian crusaders to flood the polls for the GOP.
But with the winding down of the drug war and widespread gay rights victories, Republicans now need the outright destruction of democracy itself to win an election. This election is a prelude:
1. The Corporate Cash Tsunami: The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision allows gargantuan sums of corporate money to shape every election. It's now the norm for unlimited cash to buy air time, fake "news" reports, billboards, phony astro-turf campaigns, and key election officials in charge of counting the ballots.
2. Killing Voter Registration: With a wide range of tactics, corporate/GOP functionaries are restricting access to the polls. In Ohio and elsewhere millions of citizens have been stripped of their voter registration rights, almost all in dense-packed urban areas that lean heavily Democratic. "Golden Days" when voters can both register and vote have been eliminated. Voter registration organizations like ACORN have been destroyed and strict restraints have been placed on others, all with the focused agenda of making it increasingly difficult for grassroots, non-millionaire citizens to vote.
3. Denying and Destroying Absentee Ballots: More than 40,000 absentee ballots are now "missing" in Georgia, with similar reports inevitable elsewhere, as they were in Ohio 2004. In Georgia the critical US Senate race may well be decided by fewer votes than were "lost" in the mail.
4. New Poll Taxes: Despite the 24th Amendment abolishing the poll tax, voter ID and other requirements are placing financial restrictions on who can vote. In many cases citizens registered at the same address for decades are being turned away at the polls. At least 500,000 Texas voters may be disenfranchised by ID laws that work heavily against students, the elderly and people of color, more than enough to turn most key elections in the state, including the governor's race.
5. Discriminatory ID Demands: Student IDs are being rejected in Texas and elsewhere, with the obvious impact of denying young people the vote. Gun owners' permits are being accepted as valid voter ID.
6. Electronic Vote Theft: Easily manipulated electronic voting machines were key to Florida 2000 and Ohio 2004 for George W. Bush. They have spread at the whim of billionaires. The easy electronic flipping of entire elections has obvious appeal to hugely funded corporate players throughout the US.
7. Suppressing Electronic Dialog: The Democratic Party generally refuses to even discuss electronic vote theft, apparently fearful the mere dialog will scare away voters. The Daily Kos website has banned numerous election protection bloggers (us included), apparently for just that reason. Democratic candidates tend to run from the issue despite the fact that without hand-counted paper ballots, their campaign are often exercises in futility.