Cheryl Ann Sigsbee is originally from Texas and has lived in Russia for 25 years. She is married to a Russian man named Victor Konovalenko who is of Belarussian and Ukrainian descent. This is a letter she wrote in response to two articles by Peter Pomerantsev, a writer at the Legatum Institute, which she believes repeated many of the distortions about present-day Russia and Vladimir Putin that are so common in the western media.
The letter is being posted with Ms. Sigsbee's permission.
All emphasis is in the original letter.
August 23, 2015
Mr. Peter Pomerantsev
11 Charles Street Mayfair, London, W1J 5DW United
(44-207) 148-5400 (tel - switchboard); 148-5401 (fax)
(1) European Endowment for Democracy (democracyendowment.eu)
(2) Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) (rferl.org) and Mr. Igor Pomerantsev
(3) Voice of America (VOA) (voanews.com)
(4) British Broadcasting Corporation (BCC) (bbc.co.uk)
(5) Mr. Drew Sullivan, Journalism Development Network, Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project, Center for Investigative Reporting
SUBJECT: Your Two Articles in the Russian-language newspaper "Vedomosti"
Dear Mr. Peter Pomerantsev: